Help!!!! What specialty should I apply to for the upcoming cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolfailure'21

Reaction score
I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

I'm not sure what specialties I should apply to for the upcoming application cycle. I was originally thinking Anesthesia but my performance in med school hasn't been the best and am not sure if I'll get in anywhere. I am seriously considering psychiatry and most likely will apply to psych programs this upcoming cycle, but that has also gotten a lot more competitive over the past few years it seems. I liked that rotation and could definitely see myself doing it. The question is whether I should also apply to anesthesia and/or IM programs as well (I'm not a huge fan of doing IM but if it's that or not matching I'll take IM).

Stats: 4th year US MD student from NE region; Step 1: Upper 20X; Step 2: Taking soon, scores will come out before October 21 when residencies can see applications but it won't give me time to factor that in my decision for what programs to apply to; No Step 2 CS because of COVID

Preclinicals: All passes with 1 Honors in GI

Clinicals: Passes in all clerkships except Family Medicine which I ended up with a Low Pass in (My presentation skills sucked at the time and the attending I was matched up with was constantly passive aggressive and is known to screw students on evals so it was the perfect storm for a disaster). Family medicine and neurology clerkship comments are pretty bad (Neurology clerkship director went as far as to report me for unprofessionalism for stupid stuff, when that failed she destroyed me on the comments instead). Not sure which comments will show up on the MSPE and which will get removed. Other clerkship comments are very good, some of which directly contradict what was said in the FM and Neuro comments which will hopefully help.

Anesthesia Sub-I: Honored with great comments

CV: 2 second author publications in Plastics, listed as a co-author for 5 poster presentations at national conferences in Plastics and ENT, ASA Delegate and member, was president of anesthesia interest group in preclinical years, member of APA and APAMSA

I'm willing to spend the money on a ton of applications and will go to a residency program in the middle of nowhere if that's what it takes. I'm not couples matching either. Any advice on which specialties I should apply to and which ones I should give up on between the 3 listed above would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to ask about any additional info I may be missing. Sorry for the long post.

Members don't see this ad.