Help with applying to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Speralta722

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I was hoping I could get some advice on the situation I am currently in....

I am a post bacc student, 26years old, currently completing my pre med requirements at a community college. I will be completing O Chem at a nearby university and have already taken an intro to ochem and intro to biochem class. My question here is can I apply to med school before completing ochem since I will be completing it during the year following application, or is it best to apply the following year after completing the sequence? I would like to apply in 2017 and not wait another year since I am an older student but I also want to have a strong application,
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You just need to have those classes completed before you start medical school, but not necessarily before you apply. What more people worry about is having those classes under their belts before they take the MCAT.

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.