Help With Deciding Which Classes to Take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGoodLife570

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
Ive been a long time reader but not a poster.

I am currently a senior business administration major and this upcoming semester I am beginning the pre-reqs with the goal of attending a DO medical school. My original plan was to take Chem 1 first because it fits into my business class schedule. I am now considering taking physics 1 also. Both have labs.

Would this be a good idea if it saves an extra year of completing the pre-reqs?

Thank you in advance for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends what else you are doing (are you working full-time as well?). Also, how are your math skills? I found physics I to be challenging because trig was never a strong point of mine. I found chem I to be a joke (I had a very strong chem background going in from AP).

I think Chem 1 and Physics 1 is a good combination. I'd pick up the EK physics and chem books and follow along as you go through the classes. You can then progress to Chem 2 and Physics 2 or add biology in place of one is you felt it was too math heavy for you.

It depends what else you are doing (are you working full-time as well?). Also, how are your math skills? I found physics I to be challenging because trig was never a strong point of mine. I found chem I to be a joke (I had a very strong chem background going in from AP).

I think Chem 1 and Physics 1 is a good combination. I'd pick up the EK physics and chem books and follow along as you go through the classes. You can then progress to Chem 2 and Physics 2 or add biology in place of one is you felt it was too math heavy for you.
This is something I REALLY wish I had done when I was taking pre-req's. These were my two weakest subjects when studying for the MCAT and in retrospect, I really wish I had known what subjects would be on the MCAT when taking these classes. It would have made studying for the MCAT much less painful.
If you take these classes, I highly recommend you take note of the subjects that will help you on MCAT sections. You'll really thank yourself later!

To answer your question though, I took these two classes together just like you suggested you might do. It was a lot of work because they both had labs but it wasn't impossible. If you are working full time then it would be a lot harder but if these are your only two classes then you might be able to do it. Don't over do it though! Your science GPA is so important when applying to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, it really depends on your skills in math and science. They aren't easy classes, and in many schools are harder than needed because of the 'weed out' mentality...

Important questions:
Do you work? If so, how many hours per week?
Are you involved in extra curricular activities? Volunteering? Again, how many hours?
What does the rest of your course load look like?

Since you're in BA, I'm assuming your math skills are more than sufficient for chem/physics, since most business programs I've looked at require calc and/or stats and both of those are well above the level you will need (assuming you're taking trig-based Physics, though Calc 1 is more than enough for calc-based Physics).

Important questions:
Do you work? If so, how many hours per week?
Are you involved in extra curricular activities? Volunteering? Again, how many hours?
What does the rest of your course load look like?

Since you're in BA, I'm assuming your math skills are more than sufficient for chem/physics, since most business programs I've looked at require calc and/or stats and both of those are well above the level you will need (assuming you're taking trig-based Physics, though Calc 1 is more than enough for calc-based Physics).

I'm a full time student so I have a part time job at the olive garden. I have done a little shadowing with a family friend but I have not done nearly enough to have a well rounded application yet. Next semester I am registered for 3 business classes, 1 of them being stat. I could drop a business class and pick up physics 1

The physics class is calc based but I have not completed calc 1. I have taken pre calc and have a good understanding of all the topics. Should I look into calc 1 before physics?

Thanks again

I'm a full time student so I have a part time job at the olive garden. I have done a little shadowing with a family friend but I have not done nearly enough to have a well rounded application yet. Next semester I am registered for 3 business classes, 1 of them being stat. I could drop a business class and pick up physics 1

The physics class is calc based but I have not completed calc 1. I have taken pre calc and have a good understanding of all the topics. Should I look into calc 1 before physics?

Thanks again

I would STRONGLY recommend against taking a calc-based physics class without having done at least Calc I. What you learn in pre-calc is a preparation for the concepts you will learn in Calc I, but you will absolutely need to know derivatives and integration to get through a calc based Physics course and you won't find that in a pre-calc class. That pre-calc class *will* however, perfectly prepare you for a trig-based Physics course, if you choose to pursue that route, instead.

It won't automatically save you a year. You can do chem this year, work on your math with calc and stats and business classes, take physics for the simmer. And do orgo and bio the next year. You want to take time and learn these subjects well and get good grades in them. If you can find a community college that teaches them well, or your current school, etc. Grades are very important, so you need to totally nail them, and find the place and pacing to do that.

Also, it's a good tip to get Exam Krackers, so you can start to see what you also need for MCAT.

I would STRONGLY recommend against taking a calc-based physics class without having done at least Calc I. What you learn in pre-calc is a preparation for the concepts you will learn in Calc I, but you will absolutely need to know derivatives and integration to get through a calc based Physics course and you won't find that in a pre-calc class. That pre-calc class *will* however, perfectly prepare you for a trig-based Physics course, if you choose to pursue that route, instead.

I definitely second that. Calc-based Physics without having the foundations of at least Calc I will be setting yourself up for a world of frustration. Especially with other course workload. Do you need to take the Calc-based Physics vs the traditional Gen Physics I ?

I'll THIRD this. DON'T TAKE A CALC BASED CLASS (unless you are planning on being a physics major and are required to do so). I took two semesters of calculus and still wasn't very comfortable in a calc based physics class (opted to go for non-cal based physics).

You need to be VERY comfortable with all topics from CALC 1 from the first day of class (can you do complex integration in your sleep?). How about derivatives? Do you understand limits. Is your understanding of calculus so deep that you can apply it to Physics with no problem? It better be.

There is absolutely no advantage to taking a Calc class. The questions on the MCAT won't require calculus and the majority of med schools don't require calc based physics.

I definitely second that. Calc-based Physics without having the foundations of at least Calc I will be setting yourself up for a world of frustration. Especially with other course workload. Do you need to take the Calc-based Physics vs the traditional Gen Physics I ?

thank you for everyones input, I looked over what my university offers and they do offer a non-calc based physics.

My Overall GPA is 3.2, I am aiming for 4.0's on my pre-reqs which I know is plausible because I am more focus than I was at the beginning of my college career. What is the lowest possible science GPA I could have to be competitive for a DO school, preferably NOVA Southeastern?

Thanks again, Everyone was extremely helpful

thank you for everyones input, I looked over what my university offers and they do offer a non-calc based physics.

My Overall GPA is 3.2, I am aiming for 4.0's on my pre-reqs which I know is plausible because I am more focus than I was at the beginning of my college career. What is the lowest possible science GPA I could have to be competitive for a DO school, preferably NOVA Southeastern?

Thanks again, Everyone was extremely helpful

I agree with everyone else. DO NOT TAKE CALC BASED PHYSICS. The important thing are the concepts of physics not how hard the math portion is.

No one can tell you the minimum GPA. DO schools look at the entire package not just the GPA. You need a well rounded application.

I graduated college with a science GPA of 3.25 (overall about 3.5). I felt to be an attractive applicant, I had to bring up science GPA to 3.5 (that was my goal). After two years of work, I was able to bring my GPA to 3.6 (overall) / 3.5 (science). There are really no set numbers, but my aim was always 3.6 (overall) / 3.5 (science) and 28-30 on the MCAT (haven't taken the MCAT). I felt that would make me a marginal MD applicant (able to get in with some work) and an attractive DO applicant.

I would say a minimum 3.3 science is probably alright (but that should be combined with a better than average MCAT score).