Help with diversity essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aiethela

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is the right place to post, but here it goes:

This is the prompt I have in front of me right now:

At XX embraces an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, we are dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity. Please write an essay on how you would enhance diversity at XX and advance the XX mission."

So for the diversity essay, I really don't want to end up repeating the information I have provided in the PS and disadvantaged essays. I already talked about how I was a first-generation immigrant in disadvantaged essay, and exciting clinical encounters in a multicultural setting I had in the PS.

Would talking about my econ major okay for this? I don't think a lot of people do econ as premeds, especially with bio for double majors. I already searched through SDN, and it seems like talking about physics major is not a good way to approach this, but does this also apply to econ people, too?

Any tips?

You're a first-generation immigrant and you want to talk about economics as your talking point for diversity essays?

Please don't. America is becoming more and more multicultural and needs physicians to serve the ever growing foreign-citizen population. Don't repeat the information you had in your previous primary application, but expand on them. Make it more in depth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interdisiplinary scholarship and discovery is important to this school and if you believe that you bring your experience in economics to an interdisciplinary team, then I'd see that as a valid topic for the diversity essay.

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but here it goes:

This is the prompt I have in front of me right now:

At XX embraces an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, we are dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity. Please write an essay on how you would enhance diversity at XX and advance the XX mission."

So for the diversity essay, I really don't want to end up repeating the information I have provided in the PS and disadvantaged essays. I already talked about how I was a first-generation immigrant in disadvantaged essay, and exciting clinical encounters in a multicultural setting I had in the PS.

Would talking about my econ major okay for this? I don't think a lot of people do econ as premeds, especially with bio for double majors. I already searched through SDN, and it seems like talking about physics major is not a good way to approach this, but does this also apply to econ people, too?

Any tips?

No reason not to touch on all of these points in the essay. I think discussing your econ background would be great, but you might be shortchanging yourself not even mentioning the first generation immigrant details.