Help with Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doofenshmirtz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any help would be appreciated.
I will be a college freshman this year majoring in Finance at a pretty well ranked undergrad business school. I want to ultimately pursue medicine but am torn about whether I should stick to this major. I have heard that med schools don't like vocational majors like this, and would prefer more intellectually stimulating majors. If I choose to switch it would probably be to Economics or philosophy.

Are there any numbers about how finance or even business majors fare in med school admissions? I can't seem to find any. Are any of you doing this as well or do you know of many finance majors who have matriculated at med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Many of my classmates had completely unrelated majors (linguistics, history of film, philosophy, aerospace engineering... and yes, finance). Med schools actually find non-bio majors refreshing and certainly do not discriminate against them. I wasn't able to find any data specific to finance majors, but according to this table matriculants from all majors had nearly identical stats (implying that one was not selected for or against).

Reactions: 1 user
I will be a college freshman this year majoring in Finance at a pretty well ranked undergrad business school. I want to ultimately pursue medicine but am torn about whether I should stick to this major. I have heard that med schools don't like vocational majors like this, and would prefer more intellectually stimulating majors. If I choose to switch it would probably be to Economics or philosophy.

Are there any numbers about how finance or even business majors fare in med school admissions? I can't seem to find any. Are any of you doing this as well or do you know of many finance majors who have matriculated at med schools?
See gonnif's comment.

But we also don't care about your major (or minor), only that you do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many of my classmates had completely unrelated majors (linguistics, history of film, philosophy, aerospace engineering... and yes, finance). Med schools actually find non-bio majors refreshing and certainly do not discriminate against them. I wasn't able to find any data specific to finance majors, but according to this table matriculants from all majors had nearly identical stats (implying that one was not selected for or against).
Thanks

Doofenshmirtz, I'd highly recommend sticking with finance over economics. I'm a senior pre-med finance major, so maybe I can shed some light on this.

FIN is very practical while ECO is much more theoretical. Finance also includes a number of accounting classes, which are probably the most practical and useful classes you will ever take (maybe other than personal finance.) A B.A. of Economics, which is what the vast majority of pre-meds do includes almost no accounting.

For example, one of the finance/accounting (kind of a mix) classes I am in now is called Short Term Financial Management. Short term cash flow is really important because you can run a profit, yet still go bankrupt because you don't have the cash flow timing. In a medical practice, STFM is especially important because it might be months until you get cash disbursement from the insurance company.

Last edited by a moderator: