This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeenanWooten

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a 2nd year undergrad getting ready to transfer to a 4 year university. I'm applying for scholarships and need of them I can get! I'm not sure what colleges look for when it comes to scholarship candidates, so if someone would be so gracious to help me out I would so much really appreciate it. The two questions I am stuck on are:

1.) Describe your education and career objectives, including beyond degree competition.

2.) Describe why you are a good candidate for a scholarship.

I know it seems silly and ridiculous that these are the only two I am stuck on, but I just know that I have only ONE take at this and I do not need to mess it up. I want it to be as perfect as possible.

Just some information to help: I plan on attending this university and graduation with a bachelors in Pre-Med. After receiving my degree I want to attend a well-known medical school where I plan on becoming a physician and practicing medicine. I will be the first of my family to attend college and receive a degree. I'm very committed to my studies and understand the obstacles that will stand in my way. I know what I want and I will get it by all means. I'm hardworking, dependable, self motivated, have excellent leadership skills, I'm comitted to helping improve the life of others, I'm more than willing to take risks, and I have an indescribable hunger fro success.

I'm looking for anyone to answers these for me, just looking to receive some advice on what committees look for and how I can make myself sound like the best candidate. Thank you all so very much!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a 2nd year undergrad getting ready to transfer to a 4 year university. I'm applying for scholarships and need of them I can get! I'm not sure what colleges look for when it comes to scholarship candidates, so if someone would be so gracious to help me out I would so much really appreciate it. The two questions I am stuck on are:

1.) Describe your education and career objectives, including beyond degree competition.

I know it seems silly and ridiculous that these are the only two I am stuck on, but I just know that I have only ONE take at this and I do not need to mess it up. I want it to be as perfect as possible.

Just some information to help: I plan on attending this university and graduation with a bachelors in Pre-Med. After receiving my degree I want to attend a well-known medical school where I plan on becoming a physician and practicing medicine. I will be the first of my family to attend college and receive a degree. I'm very committed to my studies and understand the obstacles that will stand in my way. I know what I want and I will get it by all means. I'm hardworking, dependable, self motivated, have excellent leadership skills, I'm comitted to helping improve the life of others, I'm more than willing to take risks, and I have an indescribable hunger fro success.

I'm looking for anyone to answers these for me, just looking to receive some advice on what committees look for and how I can make myself sound like the best candidate. Thank you all so very much!

There is no major called "pre-med".
Here's how you might answer these questions:
I plan on attending this university and graduation with a bachelors degree while completing the prerequisites for medical school admission. After receiving my degree I want to attend medical school so that I can become a physician and practicing medicine.
I will be the first of my family to attend college and receive a degree. I'm very committed to my studies and to overcoming the obstacles that will stand in my way. I know what I want and I am willing to work hard. I'm dependable, self motivated, have excellent leadership skills, I'm committed to helping improve the lives of others.

Like the Good Witch told Dorothy, you had the power all along.
I'm just here to show you how to use it.

1 - Even if your school does have a "Pre-Med" major, DON'T major in it. "Pre-Med" majors (of which there are some) have lower acceptance rates than most other majors and consider how majoring in "Pre-Med" will look if you decide not to go to medical school and try to get some other job instead...

2 - Eliminate the phrase "well-known" MD school. You want to become a physician, not go to a prestigious school. Also be sure to mention why you want to be a doctor and how your education will help you and others.

"I want it to be as perfect as possible."

Don't worry about sounding perfect -- Sound authentic. Sound like you. That's what will stand out in a positive way.

Reactions: 1 user