This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GoodGoinGriswold

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everybody,

I've been reading the forums here for almost two years now, but this is my first official post. I need some advice/help creating a school list. If you have any insight on what programs I should or should not apply to please comment. I am a Missouri resident, with strong ties to Arizona (went to school there).Thanks!

Degree:
  • Biochemistry BS
  • Biochemistry (med-chem) MS
UG GPA: 3.61 (strong upward trend 4.0 last 4 semesters. Had a 2.9 first year, but excelled in upper division science classes)
Grad GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 509
Direct Family Members in Medicine: Y (Mom is RN, Uncles: Pediatrician MD, Primary Care DO, Dentist, Oral Surgeon, Grandfather: Primary Care MD)
Work History:
  • Personal Trainer (4 years)
  • Instructional Aid for Gen Chem I (6 semesters, same function as a TA just a different name for undergraduate students)
Volunteering: 300 hrs Pediatric Hospice and Respite Unit (direct patient contact)
Shadowing: 300 hrs
  • 270 hrs w/Primary Care
  • 10 hrs w/Pediatrics
  • 5 hrs w/ Urgent Care
  • 10 hrs w/ Oral Surgery
  • 5 hrs w/Hospice
Research: 1000+ hours (mostly organic synthesis). Finishing my thesis right now.
EC:
  • Studied Abroad in Belize
  • Vice President and Co-founder of a club that supports the pediatric hospice unit I volunteer at. We train new volunteers and support the organization at fundraising events.(2 years)
LOR:
  • 2 MDs
  • Multiple from science faculty I've worked with.
Current MD school list:
  • UMKC
  • University of Missouri School of Medicine
  • University of Arizona (Phoenix campus)
  • Tulane (Mom graduated from here)
  • Drexel
  • Creighton
  • NYMC
  • Louisville
 
Do you have any non-clinical volunteering? Everything else seems solid but if you don't have any non-clinical volunteering it could be a hindrance to you. Otherwise you should get several MD interviews and you are competitive with a lot of DO schools. @Faha is the master of school lists so wait for their reply!

Best of luck!
 
You have a good list but Louisville accepts few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Consider these schools:
St. Louis
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Seton Hall
NOVA MD