Help With School List (MO resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoodGoinGriswold

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've been reading the forums here for almost two years now, but this is my first official post. I need some advice/help creating a school list. If you have any insight on what programs I should or should not apply to please comment. I am a Missouri resident, with strong ties to Arizona (went to school there).Thanks!

Degree:
  • Biochemistry BS
  • Biochemistry (med-chem) MS
UG GPA: 3.61 (strong upward trend 4.0 last 4 semesters. Had a 2.9 first year, but excelled in upper division science classes)
Grad GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 509
Direct Family Members in Medicine: Y (Mom is RN, Uncles: Pediatrician MD, Primary Care DO, Dentist, Oral Surgeon, Grandfather: Primary Care MD)
Work History:
  • Personal Trainer (4 years)
  • Instructional Aid for Gen Chem I (6 semesters, same function as a TA just a different name for undergraduate students)
Volunteering: 300 hrs Pediatric Hospice and Respite Unit (direct patient contact)
Shadowing: 300 hrs
  • 270 hrs w/Primary Care
  • 10 hrs w/Pediatrics
  • 5 hrs w/ Urgent Care
  • 10 hrs w/ Oral Surgery
  • 5 hrs w/Hospice
Research: 1000+ hours (mostly organic synthesis). Finishing my thesis right now.
EC:
  • Studied Abroad in Belize
  • Vice President and Co-founder of a club that supports the pediatric hospice unit I volunteer at. We train new volunteers and support the organization at fundraising events.(2 years)
LOR:
  • 2 MDs
  • Multiple from science faculty I've worked with.
Current MD school list:
  • UMKC
  • University of Missouri School of Medicine
  • University of Arizona (Phoenix campus)
  • Tulane (Mom graduated from here)
  • Drexel
  • Creighton
  • NYMC
  • Louisville

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any non-clinical volunteering? Everything else seems solid but if you don't have any non-clinical volunteering it could be a hindrance to you. Otherwise you should get several MD interviews and you are competitive with a lot of DO schools. @Faha is the master of school lists so wait for their reply!

Best of luck!

You have a good list but Louisville accepts few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Consider these schools:
St. Louis
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Seton Hall
NOVA MD