Help With School List Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawthorn9797

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated this may with a BS in Biology
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.62
Strong upward trend (first semester of college 2.84 GPA... around 4.0 since)

MCAT: 505 (70th percentile)

Chemical and Physical: 126 (68th percentile)
Bio/BioChem: 128 (88th percentile)
CARS: 127 (83rd percentile)
Psych/Soc: 124 (44th percentile, of course the new one)

Im a white male, graduating from the University of Missouri

Will be applying to MD and DO

School List

MD:

University of Missouri-Kansas City
University of Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou, alma matter)
Quinnipiac
Creighton
any others in the realm of possibility? (please suggest)

DO:

A.T Still -Kirksville, MO
A.T Still -Arizona
Chicago COM at Midwestern
Des Moines COM
Edward Via- Auburn
KCU
Arkansas COM (Brand New School)
Nova Southeastern
any others? (Please suggest ones without regional bias)

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR THE ADVISE

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't Quinnipac not worth it anymore since they get such high volume of applicants now?

That very well could be I will take a closer look at the msar thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Although UMKC is an in-state school for us, they're a waste given that you don't know how many spots they have open in a given year. Sometimes they take like 2 people and sometimes they take 5. Complete waste if you ask me.

Knowing nothing about the rest of your application, the MD schools where you won't be rejected because of the MCAT are:

Albany
CMS
Creighton
Drexel
EVMS
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Temple
Loma Linda (super religious though)
Loyola
MCW
NYMC
Oakland Beaumont
TCMC

There are other state schools and specific mission based schools where the MCAT might fly but would not be fruitful to apply to. Also note that the schools who take low MCATs are among the most "low-yield" and still have a fair amount of regional bias. Being from Missouri, I would maybe focus around those schools around the midwest. CMS, Creighton, Loyola, MCW, and Oakland I think would be fair options. Any DO school should be fine. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen posts saying not to bother applying to Temple and Drexel since they have a low percent of acceptance. What do you think? Is there some main mission of those schools that can help someone get in?
Knowing nothing about the rest of your application, the MD schools where you won't be rejected because of the MCAT are:

Albany
CMS
Creighton
Drexel
EVMS
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Temple
Loyola
MCW
NYMC
Oakland Beaumont
TCMC

There are other state schools and specific mission based schools where the MCAT might fly but would not be fruitful to apply to. Also note that the schools who take low MCATs are among the most "low-yield" and still have a fair amount of regional bias. Being from Missouri, I would maybe focus around those schools around the midwest. CMS, Creighton, Loyola, MCW, and Oakland I think would be fair options. Any DO school should be fine. Good luck!

Albany
CMS
Creighton
Drexel
EVMS
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Temple
Loyola
MCW
NYMC
Oakland Beaumont
TCMC

Thank you for the reply, I should have included more about my app

LORs are good
1 MD
1 DO
2 science professors
1 non science professor

ECs
Lots of volunteering in hospital (120hrs)
Red Cross volunteering
Founder of student organization
Lots of shadowing (in OR and clinical~70hours)
Tutoring

Although UMKC is an in-state school for us, they're a waste given that you don't know how many spots they have open in a given year. Sometimes they take like 2 people and sometimes they take 5. Complete waste if you ask me.
Hmmm the msar says there are ~70 accepted last year aside from the BA/MD program, not sure what to take away from that

Thank you for the reply, I should have included more about my app

LORs are good
1 MD
1 DO
2 science professors
1 non science professor

ECs
Lots of volunteering in hospital (120hrs)
Red Cross volunteering
Founder of student organization
Lots of shadowing (in OR and clinical~70hours)
Tutoring
If you want my honest opinion, I think that MD is going to be a steeply uphill battle. Not impossible, but steeply uphill with how competitive it is. You should have luck with DO schools though!

I've seen posts saying not to bother applying to Temple and Drexel since they have a low percent of acceptance. What do you think? Is there some main mission of those schools that can help someone get in?
I agree strongly. Temple and Drexel are crapshoots, especially for somebody not from Pennsylvania.

Hmmm the msar says there are ~70 accepted last year aside from the BA/MD program, not sure what to take away from that
Last year, 92/106 were from the BS/MD program

Got this from the MSAR.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want my honest opinion, I think that MD is going to be a steeply uphill battle. Not impossible, but steeply uphill with how competitive it is. You should have luck with DO schools though!

If he could bump up the MCAT just a few more points, he would def be competitive for MD I think.

Missouri treats their IS students really well so there's that. Maybe a few other MDs where your mcat is above the 10th percentile. Idk if there's any new MDs coming online this year but you could always apply to those too.

For DO, you could hit lecom/lecomB, Touro Nevada, p-com/Georgia p-com, acom, western/that other western campus is the northwest, and atsu/atsu-soma, and maybe rocky vista. You should honestly just apply to every DO school that money will allow. Also that's by no means a complete list, just a few DO schools I'm familiar with that could be worth a shot

I would avoid BCOM and LUCOM

Last edited: