Help With School List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calvinknight1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this, but I'm a little stuck with my school list.

MI resident
Year: Rising Senior
Majors: Double in Biochemistry (honors) and Philosophy
cGPA:3.91
sGPA: 3.95
MCAT: 520
Research:
1 year, cancer lab, 2nd author paper submitted for publication (not published yet). Currently 2nd lab in a research fellowship at a top 10 research university, will have poster/presentation. Will be in a 3rd lab at home college for following school year.
Volunteering:
~100 hours: medical scribe at free clinic for disadvantaged populations.
~60 hours: serving and cleaning at local church for community suppers
~40 hours: mentoring elementary/middle school kids from disadvantaged populations
Shadowing: ~120 hours, neurology. ~40 hours, general practice. ~40 hours, medical missions (various)
Undergrad: small liberal arts school in MI
ECs: President and captain of school Ultimate Frisbee team, member of elite academic honors organization (~20 people) at school, lead cellist in school cello ensemble, lead singer for school's men's acapella ensemble

List so far:
(Top 10)
Columbia (dream school)
Northwestern
Cornell
Yale
Harvard
NYU
UCSF
Michigan
Vanderbilt
UChicago
(Rest)
Duke
USC
Baylor
Sinai
Case
Georgetown
Oregon

My list is very top heavy, so I was mainly wondering:
A: are these schools too much of a reach?
B: what "safety" schools should I add?

Aside from Michigan, my MCAT/GPA is much higher than the average for the other state schools, so I am concerned that they may reject me under the impression that they are backups.

Members don't see this ad.

For "safeties" you should add Wayne State, Michigan State and Central Michigan since those are your state public schools. Your list is appropriate as long as you apply to all your Michigan state public schools. OOS public schools will not reject you because of high stats since those are the type of non resident applicants they are looking for.

For "safeties" you should add Wayne State, Michigan State and Central Michigan since those are your state public schools. Your list is appropriate as long as you apply to all your Michigan state public schools. OOS public schools will not reject you because of high stats since those are the type of non resident applicants they are looking for.
Sorry, I meant "other IN-state schools". But thank you for the prompt reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you recommend any other schools?

As long as you apply to all your Michigan schools you can add any OOS schools that appeal to you. Your Michigan public state schools will still interview you with your high stats.

Reactions: 1 user