1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Help with Solubility, please

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by geeyouknit, Aug 1, 2011.

1. geeyouknit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So I had a question about AAMC 4 #108. I was reading the explanation, and I just wanted to see if someone had a better explanation for why (or if they could just explain solubility).

"The passage states that compound C (ed note: irrelevant) is soluble in both dilute acid and base. Carboxylic acids are soluble in dilute base (5% NaOH, ex) and amines are soluble in dilute acid. Amides and nitro compounds are not soluble in dilute base or acid."

Why are acids soluble in base and amines soluble in acids? I feel like this is a stupid question, but help me out please.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. plzNOCarribbean

Pre-Medical
    are you talking about a salt? A common rule of thumb is that:
    (1) basic salts are more soluble in acidic solutions and
    (2) Acidic salts are more soluble in basic solutions

The reason is because of a complex equilibrium. For example, the salt sodium acetate is a basic salt, which dissociates to form Na (aq) + CH3COO- (aq) in solution. Virtually all of the Na+ will be dissolved in solution (its a group I metal) and the base component, CH3COO will react with water to form OH ions. The complex equilibrium looks like this:

Na CH3COO (s) ==> Na (aq) + CH3COO (aq)

CH3COO (aq) + H2O ==> CH3COOH + OH

Now, if this complex equilibrium were to occur in the presence of acid, the acid would eat up the OH. This is like a stress being applied to a system, as if we were removing product, which would cause our equilibrium to shift Right. As a result, more of that salt would have to dissolve in order to compensate for the reduction of [OH] in the presence of acid. This is why bases are more soluble in acids and acids are more soluble in bases. This generally holds true.

4. collegestud2013

collegestud2013 Probationary Status
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A base will deprotonate a neutrally charged acid to give a negatively charged conjugate base, which has an overall -1 net charge and is thus more polar. Since water is also polar and like dissolves like, the increased similarity in IMFs allows for easier solvation.

Same argument for an amine. A strong acid will protonate it, giving an overall +1 charge and also making it more polar.