Help with where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melad916afg

Reaction score
Hello, I am having a difficult time trying to figure out which schools to apply to. I am a California resident. Which schools would you remove from the list and why? My stats are: 4.0 GPA / 24AA / 300 shadowing hours / 150 volunteering

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 7D0E9BD0-A5D5-4780-B9D7-5164D8D1A577.jpeg
    7D0E9BD0-A5D5-4780-B9D7-5164D8D1A577.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 174
Hello, I am having a difficult time trying to figure out which schools to apply to. I am a California resident. Which schools would you remove from the list and why? My stats are: 4.0 GPA / 24AA / 300 shadowing hours / 150 volunteering
how did you come up with this list?

Cut most of those schools.

You have good stats, so you’re probably going to go to UCLA or UCSF. Apply to UoP too and maybe Loma Linda.

For OOS, apply to all the schools which offer In-State tuition: Buffalo, UConn, Stony Brook, Rutgers. Every other school I would cross off unless you REALLY like them. Be honest with yourself: you’re not going to go there, so don’t waste the money. If you get accepted, I don’t want you to be tempted by a school with a high price tag.

Cross your fingers for UCLA or UCSF. Everywhere else is just a backup.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cut most of those schools.

You have good stats, so you’re probably going to go to UCLA or UCSF. Apply to UoP too and maybe Loma Linda.

For OOS, apply to all the schools which offer In-State tuition: Buffalo, UConn, Stony Brook, Rutgers. Every other school I would cross off unless you REALLY like them. Be honest with yourself: you’re not going to go there, so don’t waste the money. If you get accepted, I don’t want you to be tempted by a school with a high price tag.

Cross your fingers for UCLA or UCSF. Everywhere else is just a backup.
Thank you for the response, I also would like to apply to the Ivy League schools because I worked too hard not to

Reactions: 1 user
how did you come up with this list?
I came up with the California schools because that’s my home state. But the OOS schools I looked at which once have good clinical experience such as Maryland, Temple, Detroit Mercy... and sold that have in state tuition like Buffalo, Maryland, UNC. I want to apply to the ivy leagues because I worked too hard not to.

I came up with the California schools because that’s my home state. But the OOS schools I looked at which once have good clinical experience such as Maryland, Temple, Detroit Mercy... and sold that have in state tuition like Buffalo, Maryland, UNC. I want to apply to the ivy leagues because I worked too hard not to.
ok, thanks
what's your DAT total science? any sections under 17?
do you have any research?
can you afford the time and $$$ to take 6-10 interview trips?

Thank you for the response, I also would like to apply to the Ivy League schools because I worked too hard not to
I really encourage you to read around from actually dentists about this. Going to a private school because “you worked hard” is a catastrophic financial decision. These schools tend to train poorly compared to public schools and they can set up students for a lifetime of debt repayment. Your whole life you’ve been told “go to a great school”, so I don’t blame you for thinking this way, but I would really encourage you to consider the opinion of dentists in the field. A lot of the best applicants in the nation go to their state schools for a reason. There’s a $300k difference plus the compounded interest on the line.

ok, thanks
what's your DAT total science? any sections under 17?
do you have any research?
can you afford the time and $$$ to take 6-10 interview trips?
My TS is 27. No scored under 17. No research experience because I was at CC for my freshmen and sophomore years, but I have a ton of work experience, I worked 60 hours a week and still pulled of A’s. Yes I could afford it.

Reactions: 1 users
As someone who just graduated dental school, no one gives a **** where you graduated from. You don’t get referrals based on school, it’s based on your skill and body of work.
The Ivy League dental schools aren’t hard to get into. This isn’t undergrad. The easiest is probably UPenn. Then columbia followed by Harvard if that’s your prerogative. You’ll most likely end up at one of those if you absolutely desire to spend more for less. Beats me why you would want to pay 100k more for that, but that’s up to you.

My TS is 27. No scored under 17. No research experience because I was at CC for my freshmen and sophomore years, but I have a ton of work experience, I worked 60 hours a week and still pulled of A’s. Yes I could afford it.
you need to check ASAP which schools have limits on CC credits, some also have limits on prerequisites taken at CC

eliminate NYU and detroit mercy (and probably USC, you CA, so you will likely leave it)
large classes and average stats way below yours, they don't interview as many high stats people because they know you have options

make sure your PS is decent, submit and wait for interview invites while practicing your interview skills...

As someone who just graduated dental school, no one gives a **** where you graduated from. You don’t get referrals based on school, it’s based on your skill and body of work.
The Ivy League dental schools aren’t hard to get into. This isn’t undergrad. The easiest is probably UPenn. Then columbia followed by Harvard if that’s your prerogative. You’ll most likely end up at one of those if you absolutely desire to spend more for less. Beats me why you would want to pay 100k more for that, but that’s up to you.
UCSF and UCLA are my top choices

Reactions: 1 users
you need to check ASAP which schools have limits on CC credits, some also have limits on prerequisites taken at CC

eliminate NYU and detroit mercy (and probably USC, you CA, so you will likely leave it)
large classes and average stats way below yours, they don't interview as many high stats people because they know you have options

make sure your PS is decent, submit and wait for interview invites while practicing your interview skills...
Yes the list includes schools that accept CC, most of them accept about 64 CC credits

Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful about which schools claim to offer in state. I know detroit mercy does not. Definitely take off NYU and detroit mercy.

Which of these would you recommend me to cut. I would like the list to be around 10 - 15 schools.

California Resident

Stats: 3.99 cGPA / 3.98 sGPA / 24 AA / 21 PA / 27TS / 300 shadowing hours / 150 volnterring hours

Thanks in advance!

California
  1. University of California, San Francisco, School of Dentistry ($347K)
  2. University of California, Los Angeles, School of Dentistry ($313K)
  3. The University of the Pacific, Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry ($447K)
  4. Loma Linda University School of Dentistry ($421K)
  5. Western University of Health Sciences, College of Dental Medicine ($398K)
  6. Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC ($469K)

OOS
  1. University of Maryland School of Dentistry (Offers IST)
  2. The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University ($370K)
  3. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, School of Dental Medicine (Offers IST)
  4. University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine (Offers IST)
  5. Marquette University School of Dentistry ($374K)
  6. University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry ($400K)
  7. Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry ($379K)
  8. University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine ($354K)
  9. Harvard School of Dental Medicine ($391K)
  10. Columbia University College of Dental Medicine ($429K)
  11. University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine ($450K)
  12. Case Western Reserve University, School of Dental Medicine ($390K)

Which of these would you recommend me to cut. I would like the list to be around 10 - 15 schools.

California Resident

Stats: 3.99 cGPA / 3.98 sGPA / 24 AA / 21 PA / 27TS / 300 shadowing hours / 150 volnterring hours

Thanks in advance!

California

OOS
  3. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, School of Dental Medicine (Offers IST)
UDM

California Resident

Thanks in advance!

California

OOS
I would cut out UOP, USC, UDM, UPENN.

Anything above 400k. Honestly even 400k is a ridiculous amount of $$ but super sad that's almost the bare minimum nowadays.

I would cut out UOP, USC, UDM, UPENN.

Anything above 400k. Honestly even 400k is a ridiculous amount of $$ but super sad that's almost the bare minimum nowadays.
UOP is somewhere I can see myself going to, it's close to home

UOP is somewhere I can see myself going to, it's close to home
I just went to visit UOP as a friend is in dental residency there. Seems like a bad area, very expensive COL, and UOP seems pretty competitive and cut throat between their students. I believe they also don’t have many breaks. To top it off it’s super expensive tuition.

I think UCSF is by far the better school in the bay.

May just be me but I would absolutely hate living in downtown SF/NYC. Just seems horrible in almost every way. Great to visit though!

Hello, I have cut down my school list but I still need help to remove about 3 of them to get the list fo 15 schools. I have about 250 shadowing hours, 180 volunteering hours, I’m a California resident, 4.0 sGPA, 4.0 cGPA, 24AA/27TS/21PAT. Which ones would you cut from the list or replace?

• University of California, San Francisco, School of Dentistry (San Francisco)
  • University of California, Los Angeles, School of Dentistry (Los Angeles)
  • University of the Pacific, Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (San Francisco)
  • Harvard School of Dental Medicine (Boston)
  • Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (New York City)
  • University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine (Philadelphia)
  • Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC (Los Angeles)
  • Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (Pomona)
  • University of Maryland School of Dentistry (Baltimore)
  • The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University (Philadelphia)
  • Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, School of Dental Medicine (New Jersey)
  • University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine (Buffalo)
  • University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine (Pittsburgh)
  • Marquette University School of Dentistry (Milwaukee)
  • University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine (Hartford)
  • Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry (Richmond)
  • Casewestern Reserve University School of Dentistry (Cleveland)
  • New York University College of Dentistry (New York City)

What's your GPA? Assuming its high, looks like you have pretty impressive stats. The advice you'll find on this forum is to attend the cheapest school you can. It could be beneficial to fill out the "WAMC" template. if you only need to remove 3 from your list, I'd cross off NYU, Columbia and University of pacific. Not sure where you live in Cali but if you have to pay for housing then that can add up quick as well. With your stats, I'd dive in and look at the COA of these schools and narrow it down that way. Make sure you have a good balance of private and state programs.

What's your GPA? Assuming its high, looks like you have pretty impressive stats. The advice you'll find on this forum is to attend the cheapest school you can. It could be beneficial to fill out the "WAMC" template. if you only need to remove 3 from your list, I'd cross off NYU, Columbia and University of pacific. Not sure where you live in Cali but if you have to pay for housing then that can add up quick as well. With your stats, I'd dive in and look at the COA of these schools and narrow it down that way. Make sure you have a good balance of private and state programs.
Being from California, every school will be expensive, I would like to keep UOP on the list because I’m from Northern Cali. So since they’re already high in cost, I’ll see which schools would give me the highest scholarships.

With a 4.0 and 24 DAT, you should cut out USC,NYU, Penn and any other schools that exceed 350k+ COA

Thanks for the help, this is my final list!

Target and Reach Schools
  1. UCSF
  2. UCLA (115 IS Offers)
  3. UOP (147 IS Offers)
  4. Harvard (30 OOS Offers)
  5. Columbia (126 OOS Offers)
  6. PENN (252 OOS Offers)

Offers Instate Tuition
  1. Maryland (237 OOS Offers)
  2. Rutgers (147 OOS Offers)
  3. Buffalo (58 OOS Offers)
  4. UCONN (57 OOS Offers)