Help! Withdraw application after verification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoohHolica

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am in the situation where seriously considering withdrawing my application for the current cycle.
My MCAT score is very low compared to the target score, and I decided to withdraw from this cycle and apply
next cycle after I well-prepare myself. I have cGPA of 3.60 and sGPA of 3.34. This is very low, so I am also going to take more post-bacc to boost this up. Other than that, I have good LORs from science professors, non-science professor, MD, and DO. I have more than 800+ hours of shadowing, 300+ clinical volunteering and 300+ of non-clinical volunteering.

My question is, my AMCAS primary is already verified with 3 schools I listed, and I know I can no longer withdraw the application online at this point. So, do I just contact schools I applied and notify them that I want to withdraw my application? If so, what is going to happen to my AMCAS application? Do I just leave it as it is and is it going to be automatically "cleared" for next cycle if I no longer make changes and add more school list?

Also, If I withdraw from this cycle, I end up having 2 years off before applying for med school. Is this still okay?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the situation where seriously considering withdrawing my application for the current cycle.

1) do I just contact schools I applied and notify them that I want to withdraw my application?
2) If so, what is going to happen to my AMCAS application? Do I just leave it as it is and is it going to be automatically "cleared" for next cycle if I no longer make changes and add more school list?
3) Also, If I withdraw from this cycle, I end up having 2 years off before applying for med school. Is this still okay?
1) You can send a short email with your AMCAS ID# saying "Please withdraw my application from further consideration during this application season. Thank you." This is a polite thing to do, so staffers don't have to constantly check on your file. Or you can do nothing. The problem with the latter is that some schools send endless reminder emails and it's annoying.

2) Your online 2018-2019 application will stay just as it is, and you'll be able to enter and refer back to it. If you apply next year (2019-2020 season), you'll be directed to a new application meant for that application cycle. Some of the information you've entered will repopulate into the new application since you submitted and paid fees. The rest you'll have to re-enter. You will have to resubmit all LORs.

3) As long as you continue to improve your application, you can wait as long as you like.