1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Help

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by myjaan, Jun 18, 2008.

1. myjaan

Academic Administration
    I am trying to study Organic chemistry and it seems so different from what I studies back in my college days...... How much details should we go into ? Do we really need to study where the X or R goes to in the Alkene...or alkyne( structurally) I mean showing the trans and cis configurations?.. It is driving me crazy... PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. unsung

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, you definitely have to know cis/trans, and predict products of reactions. But no need to fret- it's all based on the same concepts over and over again.

Know the basics of what is a nucleophile, what makes something a stronger or weaker nucleophile, or a stronger or weaker base. Understand steric hinderance and how that encourages something to act as a base vs. a nucleophile. Definitely know your periodic trends and concepts of electronegativity.

And something you'll run into over and over again: weaker = less reactive = more stable. For example, a strong acid has a weak conjugate base, meaning the conjugate base is not likely to react as a base, so is pretty stable. From that point, it's just a matter of understanding what contributes to stability- i.e. resonance might play a role, or inductive effects through electron withdrawing, etc. etc. Seriously, just knowing that much allows you to predict a lot of things.

I love o-chem because it's actually possible to really *understand* why everything happens, instead of just memorizing XYZ. Anyway, don't panic... there's actually so little you need to memorize, it's mostly a matter of getting the basics down. Good luck!