Hematology/Oncology 2020-2021 Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m going to need some more detail please.
1. You claim you've never heard of it.
2. You quoted USNWR.

It's hard to take you seriously after that.

It's a good hospital. Their program is new this year (or last...not sure which) but they've had fellows from UCLA or OV or something there for years.

Hey everyone,

Per request, here's a new survey with the answer choices changed to include tracking for people with 10 or more ivs

*EDIT*: Someone mentioned that the survey was busted so here's a new survey

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1. You claim you've never heard of it.
2. You quoted USNWR.

It's hard to take you seriously after that.

It's a good hospital. Their program is new this year (or last...not sure which) but they've had fellows from UCLA or OV or something there for years.

Thanks for the info, that helps.

Btw, it is very possible to have not heard of a program prior to browsing US news and world report. Not sure why this is controversial.

Thanks for the info, that helps.

Btw, it is very possible to have not heard of a program prior to browsing US news and world report. Not sure why this is controversial.
It's the fact that you mentioned USNWR that makes you hard to take seriously. Nobody, but USNWR, cares about that.

Quick question guys; my program is trying to make the zoom experience as good as possible for the interviewees.
Any suggestions or things in particular you'd like to see in a program you're interviewing at? I'll bump it up to our administration.

Haha- they're floating trying to make an instagram account, but the paperwork is apparently a mile long.

Good luck to everyone- and if you're interviewing at St. Joes Ann Arbor, I'll say hello! And wax poetic about the food, pathology and why life as a fellow is way better than my life as a resident :-D

Could you please point me to Hematology\Oncology fellowship Interview spread sheet here ?

Could you please point me to Hematology\Oncology fellowship Interviews discussions, I would like to get participate in those discussions to see If I can learn from others and add value other members of this group. I am so passionate about Hematology\Oncology fellowship.

Could you please point me to Hematology\Oncology fellowship Interviews discussions, I would like to get participate in those discussions to see If I can learn from others and add value other members of this group. I am so passionate about Hematology\Oncology fellowship.
You're looking at it.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, anyone get that rude email from ECU? Already have an interview with them but ready to cancel. Can't imagine dealing with that admin for 3 years.

Yes, I saw that email from their program Coordinator, May be someone out of desperation might have called her multiple times.
Let's stay positive and look at good things at least you have an interview lined, Many people still waiting for that opportunity.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
What did the email say?
Literally: "DO NOT CALL ME" was the subject. Then she explained that she was getting a lot of calls and will get back to us. It was a first for me. I imagine virtual interview season is stressing everybody out. A lot of extra work for the program coordinator.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Looks like University of Buffalo, National Institutes of Health Clinical Center Program, Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell at Staten Island University Hospital Program sent out Mass rejection emails to everyone.

Staying positive during application season is very important with this many rejections....Lol!!...Keeping positive thoughts and spreading positive vibes to every one in this community.

Thank you

Hi Guys
What number of interviews is an optimal number for match?

It looks likes historically having 7-8 interviews correlated with ~95% match rate. Look up NMRP charting the match, heme onc specific data. However, this year there are probably 25-45% more interviews being offered, so 95% may be more like 9-10 interviews.

It looks likes historically having 7-8 interviews correlated with ~95% match rate. Look up NMRP charting the match, heme onc specific data. However, this year there are probably 25-45% more interviews being offered, so 95% may be more like 9-10 interviews.
/ /
more interview offered this year? it seems far less so far

/ /
more interview offered this year? it seems far less so far

There are more applicants so interviews to go around and more volatility in the ROL, so I think it would take more programs ranked to reach the same 95% chance of matching IMHO

There are more applicants so interviews to go around and more volatility in the ROL, so I think it would take more programs ranked to reach the same 95% chance of matching IMHO
There are more applicants per program but I doubt the overall pool of applicants is any higher. It seems so far, given fever interviews, PDs are not really offering more interviews, infact they seem to be offering fever interviews. Maybe they are thinking hard about who they are more certain to hire just by looking at the application and then only sending interviews to those people given virtual interviews might not be that good of a platform to judge candidates.

Reactions: 2 users
There are more applicants per program but I doubt the overall pool of applicants is any higher. It seems so far, given fever interviews, PDs are not really offering more interviews, infact they seem to be offering fever interviews. Maybe they are thinking hard about who they are more certain to hire just by looking at the application and then only sending interviews to those people given virtual interviews might not be that good of a platform to judge candidates.

This makes a lot of sense.

I agree with you 100%

I did not like the rejection email from Zuker School Medicine Program at Staten Island University Hospital
" At this time, the program is changing its status on ERAS to indicate that we are not participating. We will not be registering for the match and we do not have any positions available at this time. "

My question is when they have/are intended to change their stance with in 16 working days after application submission deadline, why to bother to waste students money ~$12,000 (470 applications), time, efforts and created false hopes :):):):)

I did not like the rejection email from Zuker School Medicine Program at Staten Island University Hospital
" At this time, the program is changing its status on ERAS to indicate that we are not participating. We will not be registering for the match and we do not have any positions available at this time. "

My question is when they have/are intended to change their stance with in 16 working days after application submission deadline, why to bother to waste students money ~$12,000 (470 applications), time, efforts and created false hopes :):):):)

Hard to know if they intended to change it in the beginning - maybe they just got a lot of internal applicants through ERAS, reviewed them, and decided to offer positions.

University of Washington: Death by a thousand cuts. Finally, the rejection arrives.

Hey Everyone,

I figured out the problem with the survey. The survey before limited us to 25 responses. I've since made a google forms for people to enter info. Still works the same. You can see analytics after you fill things in but you have to log into your google account first. Don't worry, it's completely anonymous. Feel free to fill out and check things periodically

Hey Everyone,

I figured out the problem with the survey. The survey before limited us to 25 responses. I've since made a google forms for people to enter info. Still works the same. You can see analytics after you fill things in but you have to log into your google account first. Don't worry, it's completely anonymous. Feel free to fill out and check things periodically

Could you please let us know what are expecting outcomes of this survey ? assuming once you capture enough survey responses

Thank you

Could you please let us know what are expecting outcomes of this survey ? assuming once you capture enough survey responses

Thank you

Can you guys not see the results? If you click "See previous responses" after you fill out the survey you should be able to see an analytics page with all the results. If you get more interviews or if your answers change, you can click "Edit your response" to change your answers

I agree with you that PDs might be more selective about who they interview given the glut of applicants. There is a moderately interesting paper (Relationship Between the Number of Residency Applications and the Yearly Match Rate: Time to Start Thinking About an Application Limit?) from a few years back about the spike in residency applications and it included this quote: "Anecdotally, this phenomenon is best illustrated when we hear of top-notch applicants not receiving interview offers from less competitive programs, by program directors noting that, given the large number of applications, they are forced to interview applicants they perceive are interested in their program as opposed to the best applicants."

But I also wonder if there are more applicants this year because of COVID--people who might otherwise have worked for a year as a hospitalist or whatnot might have been worried that finding a job next year would be tough so they just applied for fellowship instead.

^^^^ I think this holds pretty true. And yet, it's unclear whether the overall pool of applicants is necessarily larger or if people are just applying much more broadly for a myriad of factors. While some people may be applying into fellowship because of COVID, I know quite a few other people who are moving towards hospitalist for similar reasons (e.g. they need a break). I'll be pretty interested to hear what the residency application experience is going to be like.

Anyway here are some initial descriptive statistics on this survey:

I'll update as more responses come in

Question 2: How many programs did you apply to?

Average overall: 68.37288 (std dev: 40.7) n=59

Average US MD: 44.04 n=27
Average US DO: 87.17 n=6
Average IMG (Needs Visa): 106.54 n=13
Average IMG (Doesn't Need Visa): 72.08 n=13

Will periodically update with more statistics on more questions as things come in

Reactions: 2 users
^^^^ I think this holds pretty true. And yet, it's unclear whether the overall pool of applicants is necessarily larger or if people are just applying much more broadly for a myriad of factors. While some people may be applying into fellowship because of COVID, I know quite a few other people who are moving towards hospitalist for similar reasons (e.g. they need a break). I'll be pretty interested to hear what the residency application experience is going to be like.

Anyway here are some initial descriptive statistics on this survey:

I'll update as more responses come in

Question 2: How many programs did you apply to?

Average overall: 68.37288 (std dev: 40.7) n=59

Average US MD: 44.04 n=27
Average US DO: 87.17 n=6
Average IMG (Needs Visa): 106.54 n=13
Average IMG (Doesn't Need Visa): 72.08 n=13

Will periodically update with more statistics on more questions as things come in
Wow those seem really high for US students. Anybody know what the numbers were like last year? Can't believe DO is higher than IMG

Wow those seem really high for US students. Anybody know what the numbers were like last year? Can't believe DO is higher than IMG

Yes but KEEP IN MIND THE LOW SAMPLE SIZE! 6 more responses and everything could easily just change completely.

Edit: Also guys just to encourage responses, just be assured that even though you have to log into google, no one can see who responded what or even which google accounts responded. All we see is the response itself

Anyone else get interviews at Montefiore and Boston University? Does not look like too many responses on the spreadsheet. I wonder if they are done with interview invites.

Hey so we need to pick if we are doing either the spreadsheet or the in forum list as they're starting to diverge. It really doesn't matter and either one works.

I had no idea that the link I posted would route through facebook ( I had to send it to myself for a second) so here is a more direct link without that.

how do i really access this link and contribute rather than just view it

Status
Not open for further replies.