Hepatitis B Vaccine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fromjersey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a concern about Hepatitis B vaccine because of an extensive history of auto-immune disease in my family. Has anyone else faced reservations regarding being vaccinated for Heptatis B because of similar or other medical reasons?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a concern about Hepatitis B vaccine because of an extensive history of auto-immune disease in my family. Has anyone else faced reservations regarding being vaccinated for Heptatis B because of similar or other medical reasons?

I have a family and personal history of auto-immune disease and I got it, no problem. Is there some side effect specific to those with auto-immune diseases?

Kron,

Did you notice any immune response to the Hep B vaccine?

The Hep B vaccine contains no virus. Just some lab-manufactured surface proteins from the virus so that your body can recognize it if it is ever introduced into your system. Although a small immune response is what you are going for with any vaccine, I highly doubt you would have any kind of reaction that would endanger your health.

They started in 1991, I believe. Us old-timers have to go back and get it before Medical School.

Yeah I had to get it before med school, but from Peds I remember that it's one of those dreaded vaccines that you had to memorize as part of the kids' immunization schedule.

Man I hated remembering that table.

It says you are pre-vet.. don't you guys have to get some vaccines that even us med students don't have to get (rabies)? Are you planning to get those? I'd talk to your doc about this one... more a medical q than and SDN q I think.

They give that to kids now?
I just got mine a couple of years ago and so did my wife.

They've been giving it to kids for a while now I believe. I remember getting a booster for it, which might be what you got.

Kron,

Did you notice any immune response to the Hep B vaccine?

None at all. It is hard to say though as I have no intelligible symptoms (to me that is). The only way to monitor my disease really is blood work, biopsy and bone scan (I have celiac btw).

If you have any concerns about immunizations and your specific medical conditions, you should contact your physician, just to be sure.

If you have any concerns about immunizations and your specific medical conditions, you should contact your physician, just to be sure.

Agree. But bear in mind that the risk of exposure to Hep in med school is not zero, and I suspect the downside of actually catching the vaccine, given your health issues, is still going to outweigh the remote likelihood of a reaction.