When are Med students getting covid vaccine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

At our program, I'm aware that M2s (clinical year) are within the first wave of vaccines along with M3/M4s who are doing clinical work. M1s are going to probably be in the lower end of our 2nd wave of administration some time in the spring.
 
Med students getting vaccines in late first wave. Plan is for after hospital staff in patient-facing roles. Unclear how they'll roll out for pre-clin vs clinical students (probably will have enough for all at the same time but if not, then hopefully they'll prioritize clinical students who actually have to be on wards).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m glad to see that many schools are planning to offer vaccines to students. I think the potential for bad press is part of this decision. For instance, Stanford is currently discovering why learners should be prioritized:


Although it’s The Daily Beast and their reporting may not be par excellence, they are an example of how slight missteps can transform into PR disasters in the age of social media. Imagine the fallout from a preventable medical student death.
 
My school did a 180 and now says we are at the mercy of our core sites on with we get the vaccine, but we are not allowed to ask when we might get it
I'm actually really pissed about this, especially considering that 1/2 of our school's sites are preceptor-based, so we don't technically have a core site. I doubt the hospital I happen to be at with my preceptor for the month is going to go out of their way to vaccinate me.

Glad you can get it from your core, but I find it extremely unfair for our school not to look out for the other half of us who don't necessarily have a core.
 
I'm actually really pissed about this, especially considering that 1/2 of our school's sites are preceptor-based, so we don't technically have a core site. I doubt the hospital I happen to be at with my preceptor for the month is going to go out of their way to vaccinate me.

Glad you can get it from your core, but I find it extremely unfair for our school not to look out for the other half of us who don't necessarily have a core.
Yeah I was a little surprised by the sudden switch of position. Almost as surprised as when my site asked me if I would like the vaccine lol
 
If you already had Covid, do you need the vaccine? Or would it be better to allow others to go first? Been struggling with this.
 
If you already had Covid, do you need the vaccine? Or would it be better to allow others to go first? Been struggling with this.
Was told yes you need a vaccine...but if you wait, consider donating plasma...considering if more people get vaccines, less will qualify to donate their plasma for COVID patients...but it is up to you...just a thought. I did not realize that until I saw it somewhere last week...recommending people who had COVID to wait for vaccines for plasma donation purposes...