Here to help- NBDE tests, Caapid, or any other application doubts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For part 2 price of the exam was motivating enough. I postponed and postponed it until it was barely enough to have 2 attempts until deadline. I had to pass it. And it is physically unpleasant - you do not want to do it again

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi gurjot, i got my results for nbde 1 and didnt make it. got 74. really upset. but i do not want to lose hope. i do want to do DDS/DMD here. what are my chances of geeting admissions? what Gpa do they consider? how can i be involved with volunteer or research work? i would appreciate all the helip. thanks.

Sorry for that Neelkhant
Just take a break of one week , and go back and f#ck that exam .
Don't let it change any of your hopes and dreams.
It's not an easy feeling, I know that, but it's your chance to see how brave you are.
I know that your reply was to Dr.Gurjot , but I find my self writing my first reply in this forum to you looool
Btw , when you had your exam...؟

thanks a lot. i know, i am not breaking down. i had my exam 15 days back. I am an International dentist from india. thanks a lot for the support. appreciate it.

Hi can you please state your stats.. I am very much tensed whether I will be accepted or not for the DDS program. I completed my part 1 in april and planing give part2 in january.I have gpa 3.3 toefl 92 and some observations in US and work exp in india. and 4 CDE attended and one poster presentation and some camps attended.

Hi Gurjot,
I need help with NBDE2 prep and bench exams specifics. someone told me to just use decks and get teeth to practice for the bench exams...could you please shed more light on what I can do

Hey gurjot yet again need your help...... Where can I find extra material for occlusion chapter of DA.... I am feeling I need to know more than decks n first aid for occlusion....

I
Hey gurjot yet again need your help...... Where can I find extra material for occlusion chapter of DA.... I am feeling I need to know more than decks n first aid for occlusion....
I'm sorry for replying soo late! Dental School keeps me busy and I hope that it'll keep you busy one day too :)! Occlusion and jaw movement is explained very well in certain videos on youtube- thats what worked for me. Good luck!

Hi Gurjot,
I need help with NBDE2 prep and bench exams specifics. someone told me to just use decks and get teeth to practice for the bench exams...could you please shed more light on what I can do
Mosby is a good review, especially for patient management. Follow the studying with the ASDA papers. For bench tests, buy a good typhodont and home set-up- it would be great if you could get someone to guide you with preps and point out your mistakes but the courses are way too expensive. I wish I could help but my schedule keeps me busy as it is. Good luck!

thanks a lot. i know, i am not breaking down. i had my exam 15 days back. I am an International dentist from india. thanks a lot for the support. appreciate it.
I'm sorry to hear that, but you have to keep your head up! Work harder and apply with the best application you can. Feel free to contact me if you need any guidance at all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I really appreciate it! Actually I need a lot of guidance. How do I contact you, whenever you are free could you help clear the doubts in my head please, I really need someone to guide me. Would really appreciate it.

Well I really appreciate it! Actually I need a lot of guidance. How do I contact you, whenever you are free could you help clear the doubts in my head please, I really need someone to guide me. Would really appreciate it.
You can pm me

Hi Gurjot,

I have done BDS from India. I have cleared NBDE 1 and 2 and my TOEFL score is 116. My GPA is 3.4 . I have a green card and also 3 LORs from dentists in the US where I worked as a Dental Assistant. I have applied to a lot of universities in the US through CAAPID.
Would you please suggest to me how to reach out to the faculty in the various universities? Do you think that I need to reach out to the faculty in any way or should I just wait for an interview call now?
Please reply here as I don't know what else to do more now after applying to so many universities. Thanks.

hey, i wanted to know if i cleared nbde part 1 in the second attempt, how much will it affect getting admitted into a college and also do i need to give part 2 now only or can i get admission with just part 1?

Hi Gurjot,

I have done BDS from India. I have cleared NBDE 1 and 2 and my TOEFL score is 116. My GPA is 3.4 . I have a green card and also 3 LORs from dentists in the US where I worked as a Dental Assistant. I have applied to a lot of universities in the US through CAAPID.
Would you please suggest to me how to reach out to the faculty in the various universities? Do you think that I need to reach out to the faculty in any way or should I just wait for an interview call now?
Please reply here as I don't know what else to do more now after applying to so many universities. Thanks.
Hi,
Reaching out to faculty does not guarantee admission but it sure does help. An easy way to get in contact with faculty in dental schools is through student contacts or by getting involved in research. In case things do not turn out the way you want this year with the cycle, this can serve as a fall back and also strengthen your application for next year.

hey, i wanted to know if i cleared nbde part 1 in the second attempt, how much will it affect getting admitted into a college and also do i need to give part 2 now only or can i get admission with just part 1?
It depends on many factors, but part 2 is always a plus point and a major factor in admission

Hi,
Reaching out to faculty does not guarantee admission but it sure does help. An easy way to get in contact with faculty in dental schools is through student contacts or by getting involved in research. In case things do not turn out the way you want this year with the cycle, this can serve as a fall back and also strengthen your application for next year.

Thanks for the advise. Can you share with me if you have any idea about the criteria for getting an interview call? I know that there is no clear criteria, but, generally, what are the things considered? Like how much experience, or what kind of experience, etc? Sorry, but I am in a phase where the known criteria are met like, NBDE, TOEFL, etc. I am just trying to know anything extra that I can do to add to my appl.

Hey, I think, it might affect your application if the university knows that its your second attempt. Regarding NBDE 2, it definitely helps. These days, the competition is crazy.

ok. thank you so much. do you have any idea if the university comes to know its your second attempt.
and also, what else can i do to make my application stronger?
does observership and stuff help?

Hi
First thanks for the thread,where we can get some help. I wanted to do msd,heard that nbde part 1 is sufficient. I just started few days ago. Any suggestions for nbde 1 prepration.

hi gurjot,
actually i need a lot of guidance and help to clear a lot of confusion.
is there any way i can contact you?
thanx a lot

If some one knows while submitting NBDE part 1 application,there is an option to request that your report can be sent to different dental schools whatever you like.
If I am not sure now,would that be possible to request it after getting result whether you passed or not or which school you want to go.
Any help would be appreciated.

You can do it later, but you would have to pay extra for it

It would be little helpful if some one know how long does it take to approve NBDE part 1 application by JCNDE to schedule exam date at prometric.
I submitted my application,few days back and it is still in pending status.
Thanks

Hey guys,
My story- Internship completed in India in April 2013 and got admission in an international program in September 2013.
The past 1 year has been very hectic and the process is very tedious. So if anyone needs any help or advise, I'm here to help as much as I can.

Hi!
Gurjot,im new to SDN.just wanted to know how could i improve my resume for the next cycle?
I am currently volunteering at a private dental clinic and have done dental camps in my home country.planning to do some community service next week.but i am confused about research work.i dont know how to go about it.what exactly do i have to do for research?any help would be highly appreciated.Plz help me

Hi Gurjot,
I have MDS in pediatric dentistry (GPA 3.5), BDS (GPA 3.84) from India, TOEFL 109, NBDE part 1 n 2 cleared, publications, cde programs n conferences, 5 months of observership in US but I dont hv PR or citizenship. I want to apply for DDS for 2015 cycle. Do I stand a chance for admission in UPenn? Ur help is highly appreciated. Thanks
Hi dear...where have u done your MDS from? As I have also done MDS in pediatric dentistry but my college does not provide with MDS marksheets. How to get my MDS evaluated by ece in that case?

I got an acceptance from UPENN and Tufts.
Hi gurjot...i have done my bds and mds in pediatric dentistry from India and have started to prepare for NBDE-1...how long would it take me to prepare for the exam? Also how do i make my application stronger?

Hi dear...where have u done your MDS from? As I have also done MDS in pediatric dentistry but my college does not provide with MDS marksheets. How to get my MDS evaluated by ece in that case?
I got MDS marksheet, degree as well as transcript.... So, it was not a problem for me...

Hi!
Gurjot,im new to SDN.just wanted to know how could i improve my resume for the next cycle?
I am currently volunteering at a private dental clinic and have done dental camps in my home country.planning to do some community service next week.but i am confused about research work.i dont know how to go about it.what exactly do i have to do for research?any help would be highly appreciated.Plz help me
Hi,
Well everything in your application matters. Your work in your country, GPA, LORS, volunteering, research and presentations, personal statement, interview, bench test. EVERYTHING!! I would be able to better assist you if I knew your stats, then we could determine where your application could improve. Feel free to send me a message on SDN with any questions.

Hi Gurjot,

What questions were u asked at Upenn. I am going to be interviewing there soon. Pls share your experience.
Thanks

Hi,
Well everything in your application matters. Your work in your country, GPA, LORS, volunteering, research and presentations, personal statement, interview, bench test. EVERYTHING!! I would be able to better assist you if I knew your stats, then we could determine where your application could improve. Feel free to send me a message on SDN with any questions.

I sent you an email few weeks back .I know you are busy but when you have a minute please reply Thanks

hi everyone, I wish you all the best, thanks gurjot for ur help, I have GPA 2.9(ECE) , nbde1, toefl 104, dental assistant work for 3 months and I have shadowed in the states and volunteered, I applied to all schools that dn't require nbde2 , got rejected by minnesota, pacific & michigan, I have been feeling down and sad for a month now since they started sending out invites to people, do you think I stand a chance for this year, and what are ur suggestions for next yr? thank you so much, i really need someone to talk to to make me feel better.

guys at which time every year admissions to dds occur ? I m preparing for part 1 and planning to give it in dec.
around march- april, 2015 cycle was 18 march. 2014 cycle was 15 april

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,
My story- Internship completed in India in April 2013 and got admission in an international program in July 2013.
The past 1 year has been very hectic and the process is very tedious. So if anyone needs any help or advise, I'm here to help as much as I can.
Hey gurjot I have seen ur comments for other students here I liked d way u r helping them , congratulations to you and I have doubt about dental school admission I have passed part 1 will be giving part 2 in December but my gpa is 2.95 compressive and best is 3.28 ECE which one do schools consider? I'm on h4 visa and has 100 hrs of shadowing so what are my chances of admission ?

Hey gurjot I have seen ur comments for other students here I liked d way u r helping them , congratulations to you and I have doubt about dental school admission I have passed part 1 will be giving part 2 in December but my gpa is 2.95 compressive and best is 3.28 ECE which one do schools consider? I'm on h4 visa and has 100 hrs of shadowing so what are my chances of admission ?
Hi,
Dental schools look at everything on your resume. Your GPA is okay, but they usually want course by course and expect more. You'll have to build your application before applying in the next cycle. Feel free to PM me for any help.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,
I've been getting many pm recently asking similar questions, and by this time of the year I think there may be many more wondering the same. So I'll answer them here-
1. I haven't been accepted this year, what should I do?
A- Keep working towards getting admission by building your resume. Things to consider are volunteering (not only dental), research, assistring, working in your country, etc. Even if you are waitlisted don't stop working, it all builds up.

2. Why haven't I been accepted even after having such a strong resume?
A- Your academics aren't the only thing that universities consider. I've seen cases where applicants with a 4.0 GPA are not accepted whereas those with a less GPA have. In such situations you may want to revise the documents that represent you. These are your LORs and personal statement. These should represent you well and entice the reader.

3. How can my personal statement be personal if I have it written professionally?
A- Not all companies or writers are good at representing you, but if you can get it done well it makes all the difference in your application. Being a dentist, and also having english as a second language it is best to have such documents written professionally since the reviewers at the university and your interviewers will be well versed in english. I personally had professional help with all such documents, even the supplementary applications and have been successful with admission. I received help privately from a professional writer who charged me cheaper than his company. The work was good and was a prominent part of my success. His contact was [email protected].

4. Any other advice?
Work hard and invest your money in the right place. Don't invest money in institutions that admit applicants with stats that are incomparable to yours. Not all services provided- written or bench test practice etc. are good. Ask applicants who have been through the cycle.

Feel free to PM me. Glad to be of help!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank u so much for ur patience Gurjot I'm relieved I will work hard towards building resume . I have 2 years work experience in india ,I attended many camps during bds and when I'm working but I dnt have written documents to prove that, can I still quote them in my resume?

Thank u so much for ur patience Gurjot I'm relieved I will work hard towards building resume . I have 2 years work experience in india ,I attended many camps during bds and when I'm working but I dnt have written documents to prove that, can I still quote them in my resume?
Yes you can.

I have a question about NBDE Part 2 Day 2, after you have completed case history questions can you come back to previously answered questions to review them, which includes sections previously finished.

I have a question about NBDE Part 2 Day 2, after you have completed case history questions can you come back to previously answered questions to review them, which includes sections previously finished.

no you can not

thank you for all your help gurjot! You made my acceptance into dental school a lot easier with all your advice.