-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Hey Brother
Started by NotAndrew
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Umm...you wouldn't call your country a c(o)unt, would you?
Just kidding. When I went through rush years ago I made the mistake of calling it a "frat," and that was one of the brother's response.
I was in a fraternity through undergrad, and I loved it. It definitely wasn't the stereotypical stuff you see on 20/20 regarding under aged drinking and date rape. I learned a lot about leadership (you try keeping 50-60 guys ranging from 18-22 years old out of trouble) and was able to give back to the community. I definitely recommend rushing to anyone interested, so long as you can manage your time wisely.
Just kidding. When I went through rush years ago I made the mistake of calling it a "frat," and that was one of the brother's response.
I was in a fraternity through undergrad, and I loved it. It definitely wasn't the stereotypical stuff you see on 20/20 regarding under aged drinking and date rape. I learned a lot about leadership (you try keeping 50-60 guys ranging from 18-22 years old out of trouble) and was able to give back to the community. I definitely recommend rushing to anyone interested, so long as you can manage your time wisely.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I never seriously considered joining a fraternity, but the thought did cross my mind a couple of times.
However, I did live in a fraternity house for a year because it was on campus and the price was right.
EDIT: I do hope to make the grade to be eligible to join Alpha Omega Alpha though! That's the medical school honor society, isn't it?
However, I did live in a fraternity house for a year because it was on campus and the price was right.
EDIT: I do hope to make the grade to be eligible to join Alpha Omega Alpha though! That's the medical school honor society, isn't it?
Fraternity Alum, here... it has been a good experience.
I regret not pledging, actually. I was seriously considering phi kappa psi.
I rushed and joined a frat for about a week.
It was at a party about a week into it when I realized that I was not where I want to be. It was a huge party, a couple sororities, the frat, and a selection of other random greeks. I was filling up talking with a buddy when a huge slow chant started up... "frat, frat, frat! frat! FRAT! FRAT! FRAT!" Realized at that moment that all the talk about "this frat being different than all the others, not fitting into the greek stereotype, etc." had been a load and I was not where I really wanted to be. I had just been telling myself that this was what I wanted the entire time.
I quit the next day and have never regretted it; I was blowing off old friends and purposefully being into something so I felt accepted. Just wasn't my thing.
It was at a party about a week into it when I realized that I was not where I want to be. It was a huge party, a couple sororities, the frat, and a selection of other random greeks. I was filling up talking with a buddy when a huge slow chant started up... "frat, frat, frat! frat! FRAT! FRAT! FRAT!" Realized at that moment that all the talk about "this frat being different than all the others, not fitting into the greek stereotype, etc." had been a load and I was not where I really wanted to be. I had just been telling myself that this was what I wanted the entire time.
I quit the next day and have never regretted it; I was blowing off old friends and purposefully being into something so I felt accepted. Just wasn't my thing.
Can't say much about the mainstream "white" frats, but I can say that around here the asian interest frats are all about drinking, pretending to be black, and trying to get laid.
Can't say much about the mainstream "white" frats, but I can say that around here the asian interest frats are all about drinking, pretending to be black, and trying to get laid.
LMFAO so true
I'm in one, and I haven't regretted it one bit. Being involved in the fraternity definitely helped me get involved more on campus, not to mention having a large group of friends that are there to get the most out of their college experience. I definitely would have gone crazy if I didn't join some sort of organization. The organization at my school prides itself on not fitting into the common greek "frat" stereotype.
I thought this was gonna be an arrested development thread....aww...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in a co-ed service fraternity, so I'm sure this isn't the experience you're talking about, but I've absolutely loved it.
In all honesty, if I had $700-1000 to burn per semester, I would probably join a social fraternity. But it's not that worth it to me.
In all honesty, if I had $700-1000 to burn per semester, I would probably join a social fraternity. But it's not that worth it to me.
I thought this was gonna be an arrested development thread....aww...
Heeey hermano!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 3K
