Hey Caver! (the equipment comparing thread, with pics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait, was your account really terminated for multiple third-party violations? :laugh:

It's fun digging through old pages of this thread. :smuggrin:
Them cats must have a good lawyer! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

This is the new toy. My first "real" camera. Looks about like what you recommended last year or in 2010. Whenever I first started asking you guys for advice. :smuggrin:

552181_10101381248224962_1659902501_n.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Your white balance is off. That's why it looks yellow-goldish. Its what we call being hot. Learn to custom white balance using a white sheet of paper.

Basically take a picture of whitest whitevpaper thatvtakes up the whole frame then go to WB mode under custom WB...then tell/set the camera that is white.

This alone will give you 100% better color

I you're serious about photography join photography on the net. Its a canon dedicated site.

Lens is forever ......body is not.

You may want to invest in some lenses in the future.

I you're serious about photography join photography on the net. Its a canon dedicated site.

Lens is forever ......body is not.

You may want to invest in some lenses in the future.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm poking around there when I have time now. As far as a good "first lens," do you have any tips? Pretty much want to get quality pictures of my kids at the zoo, pumpkin patch, etc. I thought I'd be able to get some great ones today, but the shadows kept coming out really dark on their faces.

I know that's not the lens, just still figuring this all out. My For Dummies book came in Friday, but I haven't had a chance to just sit down and read it yet. :oops:

To prevent shadow on the face, use the flash. But the flash won't work if your shutter speed is faster than 1/250.

Quality lens costs money.

For a portrait range, zoom range of 24-70 with f2.8 is ideal. Of course canon version I costs around $1300 and version II costs $1800?

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 can be found for around $300 to $400. Fantastic lens. Heck that's what I have.

Canon 50mm f1.8 Nifty Fifty is around $110 new....you might find it for less than that used. Can't go wrong with that lens.

You really need a lens with a large aperture.. 1.4 - 2.8....

For Zoo.... Get Canon 55-250mm IS lens...I've seen them used for less than $150. Some call it Nifty 250.

Direct sunlight on the face typically results in a bad shot... you want to shoot against the sun in the back of your subject. Then use a flash...Pros use reflectors to reflect the sun on to the face of the subject for a softer light with less shadow on the face.

And try to control time of day you're shooting portraits too (as much, or if/when possible). Harsh shadows are challenging to control mid day when the sun is high up in the sky.

Reflectors (i.e. gold tone) are another option too...but as Z mentioned, a fill flash is your best bet.

You'll have fun with that Nifty 250. This is with my Sony at 210 mm.

dsc04641qo.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Even better! I would still go for the 50 f1.8 next for shallow depth of field shots. Referring to Z's list, the 24-70 f2.8 and Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lenses are meant for full frame cameras. You can still use them on a crop sensor camera like the XSi but the focal length is going to be 1.6x, so they won't get very wide angle at the short end.

The number 1 reason for blurry shots are shaky hands. Flash doesn't make it less blurry...it makes it look brighter but just as blurry.

Invest in a monopod or a tripod.... eventually.

Blurry/sharpness could be from a lot of things.

Shutter speed
The cat looks like it was shot in low light, so the camera uses a longer shutter time to capture more light. If the shutter is open for a long time, generally > 1/focal length, the camera may move, causing blur. The image stabilizer helps, but it becomes harder with longer focal lengths. Like Z said, you can use a tripod, but this will not help if the subject moves. Well, depending on the shot, you could use the flash to add some light, but that is going to be a different story altogether.

ISO sensitivity
You can amplify the sensitivity of the sensor to light by increasing the ISO, which will in turn allow you to use a faster shutter speed to prevent blur. SLR camera sensors are better at high ISO than compact cameras, but you can still see that you get to an ISO level where the quality degrades by having red, green and blue specks called chroma noise. If you shoot in RAW, you can use software like DPP or Photoshop to remove the noise, but they only work so well. (Also forgot to mention earlier that if you shoot in RAW, you can adjust white balance in software after shooting).

Aperture
Lenses like the f1.8 and f2.8 ones mentioned earlier let in more light which also in turn allows you to use faster shutter speeds to prevent blur. However the side effect is, at large apertures (smaller f number) the depth of field becomes narrower, and you have to be careful where the camera focuses, especially with a Canon XSi which only focuses on the 9 boxes in your viewfinder. In your pics, you can already see a narrow depth of field where the subject is in-focus while the background is out of focus. Actually most of the time a narrow depth of field is used for artistic effect. And don't worry, you can still make the aperture smaller on your lens; the number is just the maximum aperture.

Lastly, if you want to get really picky, the sharpness of a lens changes depending on the aperture, particularly in the corners and along the sides (this is independent of the depth of field). The technique called "stopping down" is where you choose a smaller aperture, and most lenses are sharpest between f5.6-f11. However, smaller than that and sharpness actually decreases.

Last edited:
I had a Nikon D80 with less than 20,000 actuations on the shutter...broke halfway through my Yellowstone roadtrip. Might be going with a Canon next as I don't have too much invested into lens, just a 24-120mm and 50mm f1.8

It's Halloween last night and all you can think of is posting bird pics. Fails.

Do you guys carry tripods with you just about everywhere you go?

I bought a carbon fiber tripod...and a really slick ballhead. And if I'm really going shooting, then absolutely, I've been known to carry it every where I go. I attach the camera and just sling it over my shoulder.

Tripod's a piece of equipment I wouldn't skimp on. You can pay a pretty penny on a mediocre tripod and ballhead, and few years down the line, kick yourself and end up reinvesting in something much better. You might as well cough up the $ and buy a good one in the first place!

I jumped into medium format photography a few months ago with this puppy

yashica.png

Typical... when it's convenient and suits your needs, you buy Japanese product. Yet cry fowl when others do it.

This is ok for two reasons.

Sony makes no money off of consoles themselves. There are American game developers, such as Ready At Dawn, that only produce games for PS. The only way to support an American product in this case is to first buy a Japanese product below cost. I see no reason I shouldn't allow the Japanese to subsidize America.

Its okay when there is no American substitute, too. I got the slightly more American Xbox One on preorder, as well. But Xbox doesn't have certain games (like 1886 by the aforementioned Ready At Dawn) coming out. However, for all cross platform games, I go with the Xbox platform.

I have all of this pre thought out. Each time one of you think you got me...you don't.

And foreign cars are a much more egregious purchase. Its an industry that provides a ton of quality jobs. In Germany and Japan, the way you bastards do. Live your life and experience things...but try to buy the US made product when its feasible is all I'm saying.

This is ok for two reasons.

Actually 3 reasons. You forgot "it's convenient for you."

Sony makes no money off of consoles themselves.

Irrelevant. Their lack of profit margin doesn't change the fact your $ is going to a Japanese company.

There are American game developers,

And there are American designers designing foreign cars.

such as Ready At Dawn, that only produce games for PS. The only way to support an American product in this case is to first buy a Japanese product below cost. I see no reason I shouldn't allow the Japanese to subsidize America.

And there are American auto parts co making parts for imports.

Its okay when there is no American substitute, too.

True patriot would forego playing games if it meant supporting foreign co. You on the other hand are a bandwagon patriot to suit your needs and convenience.

I have all of this pre thought out.

Very myopically in your own world to justify your existence.

Each time one of you think you got me...you don't.

And this guy was saying Iraq was winning the war.

0e99.jpg

And foreign cars are a much more egregious purchase. Its an industry that provides a ton of quality jobs.

And quality jobs in the US for Americans through manufacturing plants and dealerships.

Live your life and experience things...but try to buy the US made product when its convenient is all I'm saying.

fify

Your arguments are week. And you keep using the work myopic. I'm glad those grammar lessons are paying off.

The fact of the matter is that Ford-Chrysler-GM create more jobs per car than any other manufacturer and it helps the economy to buy them. Try as you may, nothing changes this fact. Its one of our best industries insofar as creating a money-demand cycle. Its why they recieved a bailout. If it failed, it would be too big of a loss for the US economy. We should support it better. Or you can buy a Nazi car.

And I really do buy as American as I can the majority of the time. Come to my house and see.

My argument doesn't have to be strong to discuss your position as your whole stance is even weaker.

And using the word myopic isn't from grammar lesson rather vocabulary lesson.

If you were a true patriot you'd buy GM who really needs your $ to support now defunct Detroit.

My argument doesn't have to be strong to discuss your position as your whole stance is even weaker.

And using the word myopic isn't from grammar lesson rather vocabulary lesson.

If you were a true patriot you'd buy GM who really needs your $ to support now defunct Detroit.

Don't get mad at me because I'm more patriotic than you.

So, my girlfriend and I have been wanting to get a DSLR for some time now. I've gone to numerous review sites discussing the best "2014" and "2013" cameras to get.

As we're just getting into the hobby, I'm not certain I want to invest in the new Nikon D5200 or Canon equivalent just yet.

What would you all recommend as a somewhat dated, but adequate DSLR that would give me something to do in my free time?

I'm over DSLR's, too many n00bs with kit lenses walking around thinking they're Ansel Adams. It's all about medium-format film and a Hasselblad now.