"Hey Does Anyone Know Which Schools..." - A List of Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is contributing to why I haven't done Starbucks yet.

MN has a competing chain called Caribou Coffee, but I don't know how regional that is. We didn't have them where I grew up (NYC suburbs).
I've definitely heard of Caribou Coffee but apparently haven't lived anywhere where it exists. Weird.

We have Capybara Coffee here which I've never actually been to but I love the name!

Members don't see this ad.

This is contributing to why I haven't done Starbucks yet.

MN has a competing chain called Caribou Coffee, but I don't know how regional that is. We didn't have them where I grew up (NYC suburbs).

Also located in Illinois and Colorado.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan has caribou! (Or used to at least, I haven’t paid attention if they’re still here)
Really? Where? I’ve never heard of it! Granted I like tea more than coffee

They were in the metro Detroit area. Looks like they were all closed or replaced by Peet’s Coffee a handful of years back
I’m in the metro Detroit area but still haven’t heard of it lol. Not sure I’ve heard of Peet’s coffee either. My mom said she’s heard of caribou coffee though

I feel like there was a caribou coffee in the strip mall near to my middle school and when kids wanted to be cool they'd walk across the street after school (with parent permission) to hang out and drink coffee. But maybe it wasn't a caribou and it was some other place. Either way, we were obviously super cool.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Well, I did it. Here's a list of how many Starbucks are within a reasonable distance of each vet school (based on me eyeballing on the map on starbucks.com +/- using Google Maps. How broad of a range I looked at depended on the area, but no more than 20-30 minutes away), plus the distance to the closest Starbucks based on Google Maps. I decided to include only standalone locations, so I filtered on the Starbucks website to include only ones with a drive-thru since there wasn't a way to specifically exclude ones inside grocery stores/Target/etc. I know there are some standalone locations without a drive-thru, so this is not exact by any means, but I figured the convenience factor of a drive-thru is pretty important to vet students. However I also realize this excludes some locations actually within school buildings, so... yeah, it's not perfect. I made exceptions in a few cases, most notably Penn because there was only one actually within the city that had a drive-thru. The closest one might not be super exact in every case, but the good news is only Tuskegee didn't have a single one within 20 minutes!

Let me know if something looks wildly wrong!

Louisiana State - 8 total Starbucks, closest 0.5 miles away
Western - 42 total, closest 0.7 miles
Ohio State - 36 total, closest 0.7 miles
Arizona - 29 total, closest 0.7 miles
WSU - 2 total, closest 0.8 miles
Mississippi State - 1 total, 0.9 miles
Midwestern - 29 total, 1.0 miles
Tennessee - 13 total, 1.1 miles
Missouri - 4 total, 1.1 miles
Purdue - 7 total, 1.2 miles
UC Davis and Georgia - both 3 total, 1.2 miles
Colorado State - 2 total, 1.3 miles
Michigan State - 5 total, 1.4 miles
Cornell - 2 total, 1.4 miles
Kansas State - 2 total, 1.5 miles
Oregon State and LIU - both 3 total, 1.7 miles
Virginia-Maryland - 2 total, 1.9 miles
Oklahoma State - 1 total, 1.9 miles
Wisconsin - 6 total, 2.0 miles
Florida - 5 total, 2.0 miles
Auburn - 3 total, 2.0 miles
Minnesota - 7 total, 2.1 miles
Iowa State - 2 total, 2.1 miles
Penn - 30 total, 2.2 miles
Illinois - 4 total, 2.4 miles
Texas A&M - 5 total, 3.0 miles
NC State - 13 total, 3.7 miles
Tufts - 5 total, 4.2 miles
Lincoln Memorial - none other than one in a grocery store 3.6 miles away, closest actual Starbucks is 51.3 miles away
Tuskegee - 8 total (all in Auburn or Montgomery), closest 18.2 miles

Top 5 for number of total Starbucks: Western, Ohio State, Penn, Arizona, and Midwestern (no surprises there)

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Well, I did it. Here's a list of how many Starbucks are within a reasonable distance of each vet school (based on me eyeballing on the map on starbucks.com +/- using Google Maps. How broad of a range I looked at depended on the area, but no more than 20-30 minutes away), plus the distance to the closest Starbucks based on Google Maps. I decided to include only standalone locations, so I filtered on the Starbucks website to include only ones with a drive-thru since there wasn't a way to specifically exclude ones inside grocery stores/Target/etc. I know there are some standalone locations without a drive-thru, so this is not exact by any means, but I figured the convenience factor of a drive-thru is pretty important to vet students. However I also realize this excludes some locations actually within school buildings, so... yeah, it's not perfect. I made exceptions in a few cases, most notably Penn because there was only one actually within the city that had a drive-thru. The closest one might not be super exact in every case, but the good news is only Tuskegee didn't have a single one within 20 minutes!

Iowa State - 1 total, 2.1 miles
Lincoln Memorial - none other than one in a grocery store 3.6 miles away, closest actual Starbucks is 51.3 miles away

Top 5 for number of total Starbucks: Western, Ohio State, Penn, Arizona, and Midwestern (no surprises there)
What about Washington state? Isn’t Seattle where the company started (I could be totally wrong)

Members don't see this ad :)
And for @vetmedhead (and my own curiosity), here's Olive Garden, this didn't take near as long:

Arizona - 1.7 miles
Colorado State - 1.9 miles
Kansas State - 2.5 miles
Florida - 2.7
Oklahoma State - 3.4
Minnesota and Texas A&M - 3.7
Missouri - 3.8
Michigan State - 3.9
Midwestern and Illinois - 4.3
Purdue and Virginia-Maryland - 4.9
NC State - 5.1
Western - 5.2
Wisconsin - 5.4
Tennessee - 5.7
LIU - 7.0
Georgia - 7.7
Tufts and Penn - 8.1
Auburn - 8.6
Ohio State - 10.1
Louisiana State - 10.2
UC Davis - 17
Tuskegee - 24.8
Iowa State - 25.1
Cornell - 34.1
Oregon State - 40.9
Lincoln Memorial - 42.3
Mississippi State - 70.9
Washington State - 84.1

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I like how a thread that was initially intended to help students figure out which school they wanted to apply to turned into “how close is my school to _____ (insert chain location here)” :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Does someone want to do mod pizza? I had mod pizza for dinner tonight and it was soooo good :love:

I feel like we would have to include blaze pizza since they’re similar concepts
I’ve never had blaze pizza... is it as good as mod?

Iowa State - 1 total, 2.1 miles

ISU actually has 4 Starbucks nearby. There's the standalone store, one in the Target (which is probably closest at like 2 miles away), and one in each of the HyVees. Oh no wait, it's at least 5. There's one in campus town too, but I always forget that one since it has no parking and is always full of undergrads who walked there.

Does someone want to do mod pizza? I had mod pizza for dinner tonight and it was soooo good :love:

What are those? I lived in CA, CO, MA, NH, TX and I’ve never even heard of those.

What are those? I lived in CA, CO, MA, NH, TX and I’ve never even heard of those.

I've only been to Blaze - think Chipotle style set up but with pizza. You go down the assembly line and pick out what you want (or pick a suggested menu item) and they toss it in the pizza oven at the end of the line. Fast casual style.

I've lived in OR, CT, SC, NC, IL, MT, and VA and never saw one until I lived in DC metro...

Reactions: 1 users
Delicious and cheap build your pizza fast food place. Mod has a lot of locations in CA, CO, and TX for sure, where you been? :p I kid, but I love it.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I’ve never heard of Mod Pizza, but I’ve had Blaze Pizza, Pie Five, Pyros, and PizzaRev which are all a similar “subway but for pizza” restaurants.

edit: out of the ones I’ve had I like Blaze the best but there’s not one in my current city.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
There's a Mod pizza here like five minutes from where I live. I don't think they opened it until about five years ago though

Technically Pullman has three starbucks :p two stand alone and then a full one inside safeway.

We also have a mini one across the street from the vet school haha

Yeah you’re correct. The first Starbucks is in Seattle
I grew up in the Seattle area and at one point we had five starbucks half a mile from my house, all in the same shopping complex :laugh: Two stand alone stores, and then a full starbucks inside each of the grocery stores.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
ISU actually has 4 Starbucks nearby. There's the standalone store, one in the Target (which is probably closest at like 2 miles away), and one in each of the HyVees. Oh no wait, it's at least 5. There's one in campus town too, but I always forget that one since it has no parking and is always full of undergrads who walked there.
I purposely left out ones in Targets/grocery stores, but I see now the Campustown one isn't showing up on starbucks.com for some reason! It looks like it's closed right now due to COVID, if the locations that are still closed aren't listed on their site currently that might throw the whole thing off. :oops: But I'll update ISU to 2!

Delicious and cheap build your pizza fast food place. Mod has a lot of locations in CA, CO, and TX for sure, where you been? :p I kid, but I love it.
We MIGHT actually be in the top 10 for distance for this one!

hmmm I guess nowhere unless this is new within the last 15 years.

though... I was in a super rural area near San Antonio where the only pizza was gas station pizza, and Ft Collins and BayArea have so many other good places to eat so could very well not have noticed. Could explain it. But it was def not anywhere that classmates and coworkers would bring up as places to go.

Technically Pullman has three starbucks :p two stand alone and then a full one inside safeway.

We also have a mini one across the street from the vet school haha

There is also the one in the Spark building on campus up by the communications bridge. It is a full starbucks makes everything, full menu deal. Along with the small one across the street, in the bookie, the CUE and the Dining halls.

There is also the one in the Spark building on campus up by the communications bridge. It is a full starbucks makes everything, full menu deal. Along with the small one across the street, in the bookie, the CUE and the Dining halls.
How did I not know about this :laugh:

Illinois would be screwed.

I've never seen a Mod in my life. Lol. But nothing beats Anthony's pizza so I may not have been looking for it.

How did I not know about this :laugh:

Perks of being a WSU Undergrad alum, had to live on campus for a year. My areas of studies were across the campus from each other, trying to get over the hill in 10 minutes between classes was fun. I can just about point you in the right direction for anything. And I was a Student ambassador during my undergrad too, so I got to know quite a bit of info on the campus and such.

A real question that gets brought up is how close a school is to an urban center. Like a con for Illinois for a lot of people is that it is "middle of nowhere" and that Chicago and Indy are 2+ hours away and St. Louis is 3 hours away.

A real question that gets brought up is how close a school is to an urban center. Like a con for Illinois for a lot of people is that it is "middle of nowhere" and that Chicago and Indy are 2+ hours away and St. Louis is 3 hours away.
Spokane is an hour and a half away from pullman and it’s an urban area,, but other than Lewiston there is nothing but small towns (like 1000 or less towns, most in the hundreds or less) for five hours in any direction :laugh:

Define urban center.

like is Fort Collins an urban center (though it doesn’t feel like it, but population is 170k)? Or is the nearest Denver?

similarly, is Worcester an urban center (again, 170k and second most populous city in all of New England and is def a city... but it also doesn’t really feel like it though more so than ft Collins)? Or is the nearest Boston?

though compared to some places totally in the middle of nowhere, those are pretty big cities...?