High GPA...Low PCAT - What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TennisBoy78

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, what are my chances?

GPA of 3.75 in both cumulative and science pre-reqs (Organic I & II are done!)

Bachelors Degree, pharmacy tech experience (pending certification, took test two weeks ago)

PCAT score 61 composite (second attempt, from a 47 composite on my first). Thank god my two highest were a 78 in chemistry and 69 in biology, which is probably more important to pharmacy schools since none of us will be pursuing an English degree.

Some schools publish their PCAT criteria, others don't. Obviously, I am concentrating on those with a more lax PCAT requirement. Theoretically, I can improve on the PCAT, but I'm getting PCAT burnout too, and standardized tests are just not my thing because there is always the "best answer" crap.

This may be an insider's question, but are there schools that will relax their PCAT requirement if your GPA is good? For instance, if a school does not specify that their MINIMUM requirement on the PCAT is let's say 80%, does this mean that there is leeway there?

Which schools have been known to relax their PCAT percentiles if your GPA is higher than average?

Thanks so much for any input. Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You should consider applying to all the schools with No pcat requirement(very few). Look under the pharmcas schools and see which ones say "Not Required" for pcat. But maybe you already knew that so I apologize if this is old info.

hey Tennis

I had a very good GPA but a pretty crappy PCAT. I think my essay really helped me. I'm at UW pharmacy

Members don't see this ad :)
38ctk said:
hey Tennis

I had a very good GPA but a pretty crappy PCAT. I think my essay really helped me. I'm at UW pharmacy

Good to hear at least one success story. Keep em coming boys and girls!

TennisBoy78 said:
Theoretically, I can improve on the PCAT, but I'm getting PCAT burnout too, and standardized tests are just not my thing because there is always the "best answer" crap.

Life in general and a life in pharmacy/school, while not standardized, is often full of "best answer" crap. Have fun!