High MCAT Low GPA - School List Help/Do I Have a Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kasan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends, I'm applying this cycle to USA Med Schools and a little stressed about my GPA would appreciate advice on whether I a) have a chance for MD; b) if I should wait to finish my last year, do some GPA repair/get more research & clinical hours then apply c) apply to DO school instead (will be shadowing a DO this summer)

GPA:
cGPA - 3.36
sGPA - 3.45

Only completed 3 Years (90 Course Hours), have 1 more year left of full time studies till graduation (Canadian School for Undergrad)

MCAT:
517 (128/127/130/132)
Wrote July 2017, so if I apply next year May 2020 would need to rewrite for some schools

Ethnicity: Indian
USA & Canadian Citizen - Currently not a resident of any state, grew up/lived in Canada, Born in Georgia, USA though - so will be applying to all as Out of State.

EC's
- Worked as a Residence Advisor (part time) for 2 years then a Residence Supervisor (Full time [was a part time student then] - managed my own team) for 1 Year
- Started a Campus Food Waste redistribution program working with the head chef of my university (50,000 students) to send more than 2,000lbs/year of unused leftover food from dining rooms and campus food vendors to homeless shelters (100 hours)
- Volunteered at a food bank for 2 years (200 hours)
- Started and manage 3 successful small businesses with 4 employees and physical locations during undergrad (warehousing, transportation, and a mechanic shop) from scratch over 4 years
- Shadowed an internal med doctor, psychiatrist, chiropractor and G.I. (400 hours)
- Club exec of a sport's league, hackathon club, campus talent show, and peer tutoring club (300 hours)
- Campus event community volunteer throughout undergrad (10 -15 events a year 4 years ~ 200 hours)
- Volunteer at an HIV and Aids holistic care centre (12 hours small mount but shifts were biweekly 30 mins long only)
- Rescued a dog that was left for dead on the road with cancer, raised $5,000 for funding for operation to get cancer removed then found it a home after housing it for 6 months
- Have a little bit of research experience working in a lab 1 summer (50 hours - weak I know)
- Worked mostly full time during school because I come from a single parent with low family income, did not take out student loans, paid for entire undergrad upfront but result of working alongside school it affected my grades.

Job experience:
- Lifegaurd
- Retail Worker
- Server
Worked these jobs alongside school too

Hobbies:
- Run/train for a marathon a year (last 2 years)
- Freestyle rapper at talent shows

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Goro, would you consider my application competitive for DO schools?

Last edited:
I had very similar stats and got 3 MD II's. Then again, our EC's are very different. I'd listen to Goro on the SMP since you have like no research and are on the low end for GPA