Higher Gpa or harder major?

Started by sab10
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sab10

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,
I am currently a chemical engineering student at FSU. I have been struggling with my engineering classes and have a gpa of around 2.6. I was recently considering changing my major to Chemistry. I feel it would boost my gpa and I enjoy taking those classes, where as engineering brings down my motivation and gpa. Should I switch to chem to save my gpa? How good does the engineering major look? Will it make up for the lower Gpa? I am currently struggling with my classes now and considering dropping them as I am not 100 % sure I will pass. Any advice is helpful.

Thank you,
Sab10
 
I am really worried about that. I know I decided very late in my career that I wanted to go to Pharm school. I am currently in my final year of Engineering and I regret it every day. But at this point, I'm afraid to switch because then I will have a lower gpa with an "easier" major. I know it will go up when I take the Chem classes but will it make up for my crap grades in engineering?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's a tough call. If you're positive you can pull it up, then switching might be better. Upward trends are always good. Majors don't matter (that much) anyways.
 
whatever you do, make sure you at least meet the minimum GPA requirement of the pharm school you want to apply.
 
I don't think the type of major you have/had weighs too much when going over your application. So switching may be the best thing if pharmacy is the way you want to go
 
Getting a ****ty GPA because of a hard major was the biggest mistake of my college career.

It is up until you realize that getting your ass kicked in undergrad makes things a hell of a lot more easier in pharmacy school, at least that's how it went with me.
 
It is up until you realize that getting your ass kicked in undergrad makes things a hell of a lot more easier in pharmacy school, at least that's how it went with me.
But is it worth it if it prevents me from getting into a school? I know I can handle. The harder classes of Pharm school.
 
But is it worth it if it prevents me from getting into a school? I know I can handle. The harder classes of Pharm school.

if you wanna get in pharmacy schools, then your FIRST priority should be doing all you need to do to get in, including raising your GPA and making it competitive for pharmacy school admission.

Hard major is not a priority, but high GPA is. You can do the hardest major in the world, but it does not mean jack if your GPA is subpar. What can people learn from your low GPA and that hard major ?? It only means that you are struggling and having hard time with your study in your chosen major and nothing else. It does not impress anyone if a student's GPA is 1s or 2s in rocket science. "I know I can handle. The harder classes of Pharm school" ?? I am not sure about that...

whatever you have to do, switching major or not, you have to raise your GPA as it is superlow. Low GPA is low GPA. The damage is done regardless of majors. Logically, b/c you are struggling in your current major (hence the low GPA), it seems that you should switch to whatever major where you think you can perform better and achieve higher GPA. You might have to consider post bac...

all that being said, you might still be able to get in the way new schools continue popping up at the current rate... soon even your dogs can get in... It used to be that even 3.5 GPA students had trouble getting in pharm schools... amazing how things are changing... 🙂


Hey all,
I am currently a chemical engineering student at FSU. I have been struggling with my engineering classes and have a gpa of around 2.6. I was recently considering changing my major to Chemistry. I feel it would boost my gpa and I enjoy taking those classes, where as engineering brings down my motivation and gpa. Should I switch to chem to save my gpa? How good does the engineering major look? Will it make up for the lower Gpa? I am currently struggling with my classes now and considering dropping them as I am not 100 % sure I will pass. Any advice is helpful.

Thank you,
Sab10

the only thing that you can do now to instantly compensate/make up for the low GPA is to take the PCAT and get a superhigh score (90s ++)

then you should try to build an upward trend in your academic performance (again by getting high grades class by class)...

GL 🙂
 
Last edited:
Hey all,
I am currently a chemical engineering student at FSU. I have been struggling with my engineering classes and have a gpa of around 2.6. I was recently considering changing my major to Chemistry. I feel it would boost my gpa and I enjoy taking those classes, where as engineering brings down my motivation and gpa. Should I switch to chem to save my gpa? How good does the engineering major look? Will it make up for the lower Gpa? I am currently struggling with my classes now and considering dropping them as I am not 100 % sure I will pass. Any advice is helpful.

Thank you,
Sab10
Absolutely. If you have a higher interest in chemistry than engineering you should go for it! Especially if your good at chemistry. So basically best of both worlds.
 
Hard major is not a priority, but high GPA is. You can do the hardest major in the world, but it does not mean jack if your GPA is subpar. What can people learn from your low GPA and that hard major ?? It only means that you are struggling and having hard time with your study in your chosen major and nothing else. It does not impress anyone if a student's GPA is 1s or 2s in rocket science. "I know I can handle. The harder classes of Pharm school" ?? I am not sure about that...

Just because you have a low GPA doesn't ONLY mean that you are struggling. It could very well mean that, but ever consider something called "curved classes?" Maybe TS is unable to get the high grades because the other students who are smarter than he/she is are grabbing all the A's and B's. Maybe TS has the intellect to understand the material, but not at the same rate as the rest of the class.

Now if TS gives us his/her PCAT score and it's garbage, then yes; chalk it up to academic weakness. But what if he/she destroys the PCAT? Does that still mean TS was struggling in his/her classes?