Highest paying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wes2308

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this thread has come up alot - and everyone is going to moan and groan. But I want to hear what everyone's opinion on what the highest paying fields is now a days. I know things change and I know that you can make money in any field but overall - if you come out of residency - what is the highest average/mean paying field out there. Is it plastics/NS/rads/optho/uro/ortho??

Members don't see this ad.

If you are too lazy to click, the highest paying is spinal surgery (fellowship after ortho) followed by brain surgery.

Both are amazingly intense so if you are solely interested in the $$$, I hope you are really really dedicated to make it through those tough residencies!!!

Although come to think about it, all the jobs you listed earlier make pretty good money. I haven't seen any starving plastic surgeons/radiologists/ophthamologists/urologists/etc... etc...

If $$$ is important to you (and hey, I'm sure it is to everyone), my advice would be to

a) pick something you're good at (if you're the best at what you do, I'm sure someone will pay for your services)

or

b) pick something cosmetic (derm/plastic/etc...) because insurance won't cover it and you get paid directly from the patient (of course, what you do seems more like cosmetology and you'll probably be hated by the people who trained you for actual medicine :) jk jk)

1a. Ophtho - LASIK cowboys
1b. Ortho/Neuro - spine cowboys
1c. Plastics - cosmetic cowboys
1d. Derm - cosmetic cowboys/MOHS cowboys
1e. Rads - interventional cowboys
1f. Cards - cath cowboys
1g. GI - scope cowboys
1h. Anesthesia - pain cowboys

All of the above have the potential to clear 7 figures a year.