"Highly Recommended" Courses- Should I take them??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocV19

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm in a weird kink right now. I'm on the border of switching majors (Kinesiology to Biochemistry and Molecular Biology) due to mixed info I'm getting at my school. I asked 1 of my science professors if I should take 'recommended' courses for medical schoool, like Biostatistics or Genetics, and he said no. I asked my faculy advisor the same question and he said yes because it's better for the MCAT and admission. So what's the answer? It's hard for me to understand how I would be in a bad situation if I don't take all the prequisites, even though AdComs love people who study things besides the basic Biology/Biochemistry.

Ultimately, my inability to take the recommended courses is NOT because I can't handle them. I just want time in my schedule to study something I really want to study (Educational Studies Minor) that helps tie in where my passion lies in medicine (teaching patients and fellow physicians). I love learning, which makes it even harder to narrow down what I want to study. What should I do? How do I know if I'll like Biochemistry over Kinesiology, or if I'll do well in it? I currently think Orgo is easier than Physiology, if that gives any perspective. I really like understanding things at the chemical/molecular level, but I also love learning about health and wellness.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken biochemistry yet?

I'm specifically talking about the optional recommended courses. I'm just not sure how many is enough or too much. No, I haven't taken BCHM yet but I'm definitely gonna take BCHM 1

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is that, as a KINE major, the more recommended courses I take (MolGenetics, Immunology, Cell Biology) the more broad my major is.

So upper div physio (2 semesters) and 1 genetics course should suffice?

Ok thank you for the recommendations!