jcdo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep reading everywhere that what you do in high school doesnt really matter.... in a sense yes it doesnt because you can start fresh in college... however I cant wrap my head around the fact tht if someone struggled in high school... where easier things are taught how will they succeed in college... college is much harder
i myslef have a 3.74 gpa. ive always had honors classes. in tenth grade i struggled alot because my teachers were awful.. but i cant explain that to a college admissions officer.. it is what it is.

Members don't see this ad.

What's the question? If you did well Junior/Senior year it is not going to keep you out of good colleges, and many people do better in college not because classes get easier, but because they gain motivation they lacked in their early teens or discover a new topic they actually care about and enjoy.

What's the question? If you did well Junior/Senior year it is not going to keep you out of good colleges, and many people do better in college not because classes get easier, but because they gain motivation they lacked in their early teens or discover a new topic they actually care about and enjoy.
sorry. my question was how is that possible. for someone to handle highschool with struggle and then somehow do better in college?

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry. my question was how is that possible. for someone to handle highschool with struggle and then somehow do better in college?
Depends what "struggle" means. Getting bad grades because you try and fail, vs getting bad grades because you don't try.

In high school, you can be smart and get a solid GPA. In college, being smart doesn't mean anything if you don't put in 110% effort every day. You either grind and get a solid gpa or slack and party every night. I was smart in high school and got decent grades with minimal effort. In college though, that didn't work. Don't let it take you 2 years of undergrad to realize you're going to have to work day and night for the grades and extracurriculars you want!

Keep in mind:

1. College is usually not free – this motivates students to try harder.

2. You can study what you are interested in – ultimately, students likely do better in their interests than general education classes. Example: if a college offers a neuroscience class, which the student's high school never offered, and they have an interest in neuroscience, then they will likely perform better in that than the required Shakespeare class they had to take during high school.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends what "struggle" means. Getting bad grades because you try and fail, vs getting bad grades because you don't try.
getting bad grades because you try and fail.. im not necessarily failing i took ap bio and pulled a b- and my other honors classes are A-

getting bad grades because you try and fail.. im not necessarily failing i took ap bio and pulled a b- and my other honors classes are A-
Do you consider that performance to be failing...? As and a B in honors/AP classes does not predict struggling in college.

Do you consider that performance to be failing...? As and a B in honors/AP classes does not predict struggling in college.
i thought i was doing awful because i wasnt pulling 95's

Should immediately stop listening to whoever taught you those standards. A bunch of As and a few Bs in hard classes predicts success in college, not failure. Keep working hard, take the SATs, go somewhere that suits you and you'll be fine.

Should immediately stop listening to whoever taught you those standards. A bunch of As and a few Bs in hard classes predicts success in college, not failure. Keep working hard, take the SATs, go somewhere that suits you and you'll be fine.
but what if i wanna major in bio an try for dental med or even pharm school.. they all have pretty much the same pre reqs could i do well in those with thee types of grdes if i put in the adequate work etc... thanks for being so nce

but what if i wanna major in bio an try for dental med or even pharm school.. they all have pretty much the same pre reqs could i do well in those with thee types of grdes if i put in the adequate work etc... thanks for being so nce

Your chances of making it into dental or pharmacy school will not be limited by a B- in AP Bio.

Your chances of making it into dental or pharmacy school will not be limited by a B- in AP Bio.
but doesnt that grade demonstrate my ability nd what im capable of.. sorry im just worried