Home improvement & recent purchases that improved your life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have a white picket fence? Thinking of getting one just to keep my kid from running into the street. He's too young to look both ways. The wild turkeys may get trapped in our front yard though.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I have some bamboo underwear and they are by far my favorite pairs to wear.

I haven’t sprung for bamboo sheets yet but maybe one day.

I like microfiber as well.
Microfiber = amazing; I feel bad using paper towels....Yeah I don't know much about bamboo...still seems like it's too hipster-doofus for me at least

Reactions: 1 users
Anyways my projects since COVID-19:
1) Swiss army knife of Home gyms

2) Home office/library/study - 3 standing desk stations on wheels, custom made book case with wheels and magnetic book holder chains, engineering drafting station (on wheels of course, folding, ergonomic AF). Desk area, I'm still making tweaks to (laptop, printer, scanner, laminator setup...standing desk with wheels of course)

3) Recycling setup/artwork-repurposing station - because Mother Earth. I'm getting into welding, soldering, brazing so I will be incorporating this setup for this hobby/skillset (already into making my own custom jewelry/accessories like keychains, bracelets, lashes for organization, etc.)

Needless to say, I'm running out of room and looking to move into something larger than my current environment
#Non-Breeder life! Try doing all this whilst raising a family @mentos (how's that ice cream truck gig going BTW?)

Attachments

• WIN_20210601_05_16_38_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210601_05_16_38_Pro.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 95
  • WIN_20210601_05_17_11_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210601_05_17_11_Pro.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyways my projects since COVID-19:
1) Swiss army knife of Home gyms

2) Home office/library/study - 3 standing desk stations on wheels, custom made book case with wheels and magnetic book holder chains, engineering drafting station (on wheels of course, folding, ergonomic AF). Desk area, I'm still making tweaks to (laptop, printer, scanner, laminator setup...standing desk with wheels of course)

3) Recycling setup/artwork-repurposing station - because Mother Earth. I'm getting into welding, soldering, brazing so I will be incorporating this setup for this hobby/skillset (already into making my own custom jewelry/accessories like keychains, bracelets, lashes for organization, etc.)

Needless to say, I'm running out of room and looking to move into something larger than my current environment
#Non-Breeder life! Try doing all this whilst raising a family @mentos (how's that ice cream truck gig going BTW?)

Nice projects! I see Ryobi tools!

Never started the ice cream truck thing but maybe I need to after crypto took a dump haha.

Anyone have a Traeger grill? One day I will, cuz programming the perfect temp from your cellphone sounds amazing.

Nice projects! I see Ryobi tools!

Never started the ice cream truck thing but maybe I need to after crypto took a dump haha.
Yeah mostly use ryobi (cordless power tools) because of the whole battery commitment thing and huge range of tools (quite a bunch of overlapping functions for many of the lawn care stuff at least)....function & form (work well enough & mobile) >>> Aesthetics (ok, lime green is just a color!!!). I do like rigid shop vacuums, going with butane cordless solder and mini torch (benzomatic). Quite fond of Milwaukee utility knives, random small hand tools, & dexterity gloves (Amazing gloves).

Got to do some more research for welding though (nothing super fancy or high end/specialty) and might get a mill station in the future (love working with metal)

If there is any ryobi piece to get it would be the hot glue guns (like holy ****, I'm like a kid in a candy store thinking of all kinds of applications & coming up with designs):
WIN_20210601_09_41_51_Pro.jpg

Now if I was to directly compete on the same turf as your ice cream truck business, I'd have to take you down a peg with liquid nitrogen crafted ice cream along with the whole vaccine/ice cream truck business model

Last edited:
  • Haha
Yeah mostly use ryobi (cordless power tools) because of the whole battery commitment thing and huge range of tools (quite a bunch of overlapping functions for many of the lawn care stuff at least)....function & form (work well enough & mobile) >>> Aesthetics (ok, lime green is just a color!!!). I do like rigid shop vacuums, going with butane cordless solder and mini torch (benzomatic). Quite fond of Milwaukee utility knives, random small hand tools, & dexterity gloves (Amazing gloves).

Got to do some more research for welding though (nothing super fancy or high end/specialty) and might get a mill station in the future (love working with metal)

If there is any ryobi piece to get it would be the hot glue guns (like holy ****, I'm like a kid in a candy store thinking of all kinds of applications & coming up with designs):
View attachment 338005

Now if I was to directly compete on the same turf as your ice cream truck business, I'd have to take you down a peg with liquid nitrogen crafted ice cream along with the whole vaccine/ice cream truck business model
Do you have the ryobi leaf blower/hedge trimmer? I used the leaf blower and it just feels weak to me...honestly had some hair driers with more power. The hedge trimmer I am debating returning before even trying as I'm suspicious that will lack power as well. Maybe I just got a bad unit?

Do you have the ryobi leaf blower/hedge trimmer? I used the leaf blower and it just feels weak to me...honestly had some hair driers with more power. The hedge trimmer I am debating returning before even trying as I'm suspicious that will lack power as well. Maybe I just got a bad unit?
Haven't tried either of those tools yet...would suggest researching delving into options first. Hybrid plus has corded option or battery/cordless option (factors like proper battery amp and power cord gauge can play a factor in how "powerful"/intensity of performance a device may operate. Yeah this is where Ryobi can give decision fatigue (so many options and overlap with many of the outdoor tools)

I only have 5 batteries in my arsenal of tools (20+ power tools?); one behemoth 9 amp battery, one 6 amp, and some baby 2 amps for quick simple stuff (one in my car attached to inverter for emergency use)

For cordless yard tools, you gotta go with Ego 56v line. They are top of the line, the most expensive but you get what you pay for. They have the best and most powerful batteries. I have the lawnmower, backpack leaf blower, 2 stage snowblower, hedge trimmer, weed wacker and edger. Their leaf blower is as powerful as gas. I think the newest model is like 650CFM now. I didn't think a cordless snowblower could handle New England snow, but Ego did it. The thing's a beast.

Ryobi is best for hand tools.

I first read this as programming the perfect temperature for (cooking/destroying) a cellphone, LMFAO. I'm usually telling people that I flush mine down the toilet on my days off

Electric grill man! Can check on your temperatures via cellphone while inside watching the game. Mind blown.

Electric grill man! Can check on your temperatures via cellphone while inside watching the game. Mind blown.

FireBoard on my Kamado Joe. One of the best things I’ve done in a while.

Attachments

• 0D054AB8-8C71-4F97-89F5-FBAEAE6E6424.png
    0D054AB8-8C71-4F97-89F5-FBAEAE6E6424.png
    154 KB · Views: 73
I know, I know....some days I just feel like maliciously murdering my cell phone though...for the sick pleasure of course. Death by baseball bat would do well too

Although...electric grills...."that boy ain't right"
1622636732352.png

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
3 tanks of propane here, ain't a problem for me.

Will report back with how the bamboo sheets experiment goes - hoping for maximum cooling/temp regulation.

3 tanks of propane here, ain't a problem for me.

Will report back with how the bamboo sheets experiment goes - hoping for maximum cooling/temp regulation.
Trying this out for the warmer months...upgraded my bed last fall (amazing quality of sleep improvements...still working on that whole blue light abstinence before bedtime thing...black out shades still from overnight days...><....nights)
Nice and breathable materials (no waking up drenched in sweat...other factors at play like SSRI). Keep us posted on how the bamboo sheets work out for you...or not?

Bought my 3rd rental property. Makes me happy because I'm more than half way towards financial goal. Once I have 5 rental properties, I will quit or work only part time. Wil live off $4,000 monhly income after paying mortgage.

Bought my 3rd rental property. Makes me happy because I'm more than half way towards financial goal. Once I have 5 rental properties, I will quit or work only part time. Wil live off $4,000 monhly income after paying mortgage.

Congrats. Actually in the works to sell my 1st rental (6/30/21). Market is good for sellers right now.

Bamboo sheets: god dang they are soft. Far better than my previous sheets. Unsure of how well temperature regulation is... will have to give it more time. Amazon: Oasis Fine Linens Island Bamboo Collection is the item.

Ryobi days sale going on now if anyone needs batteries or tools. Battery kit + free tool for $99. Great deal. The hedge trimmer alone is worth $99.

Ryobi days sale going on now if anyone needs batteries or tools. Battery kit + free tool for $99. Great deal. The hedge trimmer alone is worth $99.

Thx man, been needing an edger. Just picked it up with this battery kit.

1. Share ideas about additions to/fixing up homes (doesn't have to be DIY, though). Example: I'm considering adding a screened in back porch to the back yard patio. Also curious about any other additions that may have brought you & family joy, or increased the value of your home?

2. Share about items purchased recently that you feel have improved your life and brought you joy, that others might be interested in. I was hoping to get opinions on a decent grill, $200-300 range if anyone had suggestions? One thing that has improved my life would be the Audible app though, I'm really enjoying listening to books on the way to work.
Thank you for making such a thoughtful and useful thread!

QHD (2560 x 1440 resolution) LED monitor. I got a 25" Dell U2518D for $250 on a swivel arm that I plug my laptop into. Improves productivity a lot because you can have a web browser on half the screen, and another web page, spreadsheet, PDF, etc on the other half. Most web pages are only optimized to display around 1280 pixels wide anyway, otherwise reading 20" from left to right is literally a pain in the neck. It just did my taxes completely on the screen.
I second this. My less than young eyes went for a 43" though. Also, a swivel arm. I hesitated because of the cost but I'm so glad I splurged. (Keep in mind I spend most of my working time in front of this screen.)

I have a water softener as well but am quite certain it is a ripoff. Oh well, live and learn.

I almost sprang for the tankless hot water heater but decided for the volume of water I use it didn’t make sense. I got a hybrid hot water heater instead and so far so good. Very energy efficient.

I love smart locks and smart garage door opener. Usually I find those types of upgrades to be questionable but I don’t regret them at all. Even something as simple as a motion actives light in the garage has become like one of my favorite features of my home, lol
I bought smart locks years ago after the n-teenth time coming home to no one at home and the front door unlocked. I specifically wanted the feature that locked automatically after 30 sec. Bought the garage door openers more recently and love how I can program them to close after x minutes or at a certain time of day. I have also found for an n-teenth number of times the attached garage wide open in the morning. Thankfully nothing was ever missing.

I bought smart locks years ago after the n-teenth time coming home to no one at home and the front door unlocked. I specifically wanted the feature that locked automatically after 30 sec. Bought the garage door openers more recently and love how I can program them to close after x minutes or at a certain time of day. I have also found for an n-teenth number of times the attached garage wide open in the morning. Thankfully nothing was ever missing.

Lol what is wrong with the people in your house, I guess I grew up in the hood but it’s 2021 we’ve been locking doors since the Night Stalker was making the rounds!

oh that’s a good idea: make them watch that on Netflix.

• Haha
Yeah, this is like the coolest off topic/non-pharmacy thread in recent memory.

Finally got around to trying my reciprocating saw (ryobi)...just felt oh so satisfying cutting through some thick plastic (less plastic in my life, the better...stainless steel, nylon, high density rubber...materials that will stand the test of time)

Down the road looking to get an electronic lawn mower & angle grinder (corded>>>cordless, possibly hybrid) for metal work: forging, welding, brazing, etc.

Lol what is wrong with the people in your house, I guess I grew up in the hood but it’s 2021 we’ve been locking doors since the Night Stalker was making the rounds!

oh that’s a good idea: make them watch that on Netflix.
Combination of very active kids, single-bolt locks that need a key to lock from the outside and the occasional forgetfulness. I had to inspect all the doors before going to bed but unfortunately my kids didn't inherit my early-to-bed-early-to-rise trait so can't help what happens while I'm peacefully snoozing. I have no explanation for my spouse though. Fortunately, we didn't live in the hood.

recently built a home theatre in the basement. 120 inch screen 4K projector and 5.1 channel sound system with yamaha receiver. Loving it!!!!

• Love
recently built a home theatre in the basement. 120 inch screen 4K projector and 5.1 channel sound system with yamaha receiver. Loving it!!!!
Looking into the projector route myself, which one did you get?

Awesome stuff. Which projector?

5.2 here and watched Conjuring last night... subs were banging!

Imo, a mid range Optoma will do very well. I posted the one I have somewhere above ITT.

Ben Q 4K. it's really nice. it's on sale right now at best buy for $949. not bad for 4k projector. colors are vibrant and quality is top notch.

Awesome stuff. Which projector?

5.2 here and watched Conjuring last night... subs were banging!

Imo, a mid range Optoma will do very well. I posted the one I have somewhere above ITT.
i got ben q 4k. yes, movie nights are really fun now. for working couple with kids-it's blessing as we barely find time to go for a movie.

Only 5.1? Pff I’m disappointed! Hope your receiver has connections for Atmos speakers. Nothing like hearing bullets whiz by your head.

Only 5.1? Pff I’m disappointed! Hope your receiver has connections for Atmos speakers. Nothing like hearing bullets whiz by your head.
lol! i think 5.1 is way more than enough for us. book shelf speakers are mounted at appropriate height in the back above the couch. So pretty satisfied with bullets whiz!!!! And yes that receiver does have connections to hook up atmos. may be I will add later on.

lol! i think 5.1 is way more than enough for us. book shelf speakers are mounted at appropriate height in the back above the couch. So pretty satisfied with bullets whiz!!!! And yes that receiver does have connections to hook up atmos. may be I will add later on.

I know I know, I’m being mildly sarcastic. A high quality 5.1 system is more than enough, but once you fall down the HT rabbit hole, you start opining for 7.1.2 with DTS:X & Atmos capability, and then you’ll start caring about your source material to make sure it’s not some compressed garbage from your streaming service.

I actually do notice a difference in audio when I watch a movie on my physical Blu-Ray player vs stream something online…and I use a <$200 cheap-o Sony player, to boot.

Five years ago went from:

This to this

Attachments

• Br1.jpg
    Br1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 87
  • BR2.jpg
    BR2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 84
  • br3.jpg
    br3.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: 3 users
Three years ago

went from this to this

Attachments

• Ki1.jpg
    Ki1.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 101
  • Ki2.JPG
    Ki2.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 94
  • ki3.JPG
    ki3.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Ki4.JPG
    Ki4.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Ki5.JPG
    Ki5.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
I know I know, I’m being mildly sarcastic. A high quality 5.1 system is more than enough, but once you fall down the HT rabbit hole, you start opining for 7.1.2 with DTS:X & Atmos capability, and then you’ll start caring about your source material to make sure it’s not some compressed garbage from your streaming service.

I actually do notice a difference in audio when I watch a movie on my physical Blu-Ray player vs stream something online…and I use a <$200 cheap-o Sony player, to boot.
you are absolutely correct. I just installed wifi mesh in the house coz I wasn't getting enough speed in the basement. It did improve my streaming but still not like blu-ray player. (i just used my old PS4 to check) .I am trying new things and learning gradually.
My brother is building new house, so I guess I can guide him for his home theater system. :)

Very nice! Love the blue paint.
You should have seen the contractor. When my wife got the teal paint, he tested it out on a piece of dry wall. But she was certain. It's the paint and the soap stone counters that make the kitchen. If you are a serious cook, there is no other counter. It;s basically indestructible. You you scratch it, you file it out. You can take a pan off of the stove and put it right on the counter.

You should have seen the contractor. When my wife got the teal paint, he tested it out on a piece of dry wall. But she was certain. It's the paint and the soap stone counters that make the kitchen. If you are a serious cook, there is no other counter. It;s basically indestructible. You you scratch it, you file it out. You can take a pan off of the stove and put it right on the counter.

Was the contractor unsure of the color? Choosing paint colors is tough. We probably went through 20 similar samples before deciding. The color looks completely different until you actually paint the wall and see it in different angles and lighting.

Interesting counters. Are soapstone counters a new trend? Never heard of it. The new houses I see all have quartz or traditional granite.

Last edited:
Nice counter tops!

Down the road, I plan on constructing a shop area (mill/press) & thinking of creating a welding/brazing station to drag outside (ceramics, heavy duty counter tops similar to a lab setting). I get inspiration from watching Adam Savage's youtube channel (crazy creativity)

Was the contractor unsure of the color? Choosing paint colors is tough. We probably went through 20 similar samples before deciding. The color looks completely different until you actually paint the wall and see it in different angles and lighting.

Interesting counters. Are soapstone counters a new trend? Never heard of it. The new houses I see all have quartz or traditional granite.
He was unsure my wife would really like it. She knew exactly what she wanted.

As for the counters I would never get anything else. When you research it all of thee cons to soapstone are that it gets scratched. Here is my response:

He was unsure my wife would really like it. She knew exactly what she wanted.

As for the counters I would never get anything else. When you research it all of thee cons to soapstone are that it gets scratched. Here is my response:

Love it, anyone wanting to restore steels, irons, zinc coatings, etc. steel wool #0000 grade (ultra fine) is my secret/weapon of choice for restoration to minimize damage/scratching

Last edited:
Bump!

C'mon, anyone? Summer is chalk full of remodeling opportunities and projects galore.
Next on my agenda will be getting an electric lawn mower (nothing overkill or exciting, small area to manage)

Making some pharmacy store improvements as I'm officially the "fix-it-B!tch" after a whole bunch of talks of getting a corporate sponsored remodeling that keeps getting brushed aside/cancelled/or complete change of plans (it's fun for me to play around with tools, stress relief)

Bump!

C'mon, anyone? Summer is chalk full of remodeling opportunities and projects galore.
Next on my agenda will be getting an electric lawn mower (nothing overkill or exciting, small area to manage)

Making some pharmacy store improvements as I'm officially the "fix-it-B!tch" after a whole bunch of talks of getting a corporate sponsored remodeling that keeps getting brushed aside/cancelled/or complete change of plans (it's fun for me to play around with tools, stress relief)

Already got the full Ego lawn tool lineup. Mower, leaf blower, weed whacker, edger, hedge trimmer, and snowblower. My neighbor copied me and got the leaf blower.