You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Home improvement & recent purchases that improved your life
Started by PharmDBro2017
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Microfiber = amazing; I feel bad using paper towels....Yeah I don't know much about bamboo...still seems like it's too hipster-doofus for me at leastI have some bamboo underwear and they are by far my favorite pairs to wear.
I haven’t sprung for bamboo sheets yet but maybe one day.
I like microfiber as well.
Anyways my projects since COVID-19:
1) Swiss army knife of Home gyms
2) Home office/library/study - 3 standing desk stations on wheels, custom made book case with wheels and magnetic book holder chains, engineering drafting station (on wheels of course, folding, ergonomic AF). Desk area, I'm still making tweaks to (laptop, printer, scanner, laminator setup...standing desk with wheels of course)
3) Recycling setup/artwork-repurposing station - because Mother Earth. I'm getting into welding, soldering, brazing so I will be incorporating this setup for this hobby/skillset (already into making my own custom jewelry/accessories like keychains, bracelets, lashes for organization, etc.)
Needless to say, I'm running out of room and looking to move into something larger than my current environment
#Non-Breeder life! Try doing all this whilst raising a family @mentos (how's that ice cream truck gig going BTW?)
1) Swiss army knife of Home gyms
2) Home office/library/study - 3 standing desk stations on wheels, custom made book case with wheels and magnetic book holder chains, engineering drafting station (on wheels of course, folding, ergonomic AF). Desk area, I'm still making tweaks to (laptop, printer, scanner, laminator setup...standing desk with wheels of course)
3) Recycling setup/artwork-repurposing station - because Mother Earth. I'm getting into welding, soldering, brazing so I will be incorporating this setup for this hobby/skillset (already into making my own custom jewelry/accessories like keychains, bracelets, lashes for organization, etc.)
Needless to say, I'm running out of room and looking to move into something larger than my current environment
#Non-Breeder life! Try doing all this whilst raising a family @mentos (how's that ice cream truck gig going BTW?)
Attachments
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyways my projects since COVID-19:
1) Swiss army knife of Home gyms
2) Home office/library/study - 3 standing desk stations on wheels, custom made book case with wheels and magnetic book holder chains, engineering drafting station (on wheels of course, folding, ergonomic AF). Desk area, I'm still making tweaks to (laptop, printer, scanner, laminator setup...standing desk with wheels of course)
3) Recycling setup/artwork-repurposing station - because Mother Earth. I'm getting into welding, soldering, brazing so I will be incorporating this setup for this hobby/skillset (already into making my own custom jewelry/accessories like keychains, bracelets, lashes for organization, etc.)
Needless to say, I'm running out of room and looking to move into something larger than my current environment
#Non-Breeder life! Try doing all this whilst raising a family @mentos (how's that ice cream truck gig going BTW?)
Nice projects! I see Ryobi tools!
Never started the ice cream truck thing but maybe I need to after crypto took a dump haha.
Anyone have a Traeger grill? One day I will, cuz programming the perfect temp from your cellphone sounds amazing.
Yeah mostly use ryobi (cordless power tools) because of the whole battery commitment thing and huge range of tools (quite a bunch of overlapping functions for many of the lawn care stuff at least)....function & form (work well enough & mobile) >>> Aesthetics (ok, lime green is just a color!!!). I do like rigid shop vacuums, going with butane cordless solder and mini torch (benzomatic). Quite fond of Milwaukee utility knives, random small hand tools, & dexterity gloves (Amazing gloves).Nice projects! I see Ryobi tools!
Never started the ice cream truck thing but maybe I need to after crypto took a dump haha.
Got to do some more research for welding though (nothing super fancy or high end/specialty) and might get a mill station in the future (love working with metal)
If there is any ryobi piece to get it would be the hot glue guns (like holy ****, I'm like a kid in a candy store thinking of all kinds of applications & coming up with designs):
Now if I was to directly compete on the same turf as your ice cream truck business, I'd have to take you down a peg with liquid nitrogen crafted ice cream along with the whole vaccine/ice cream truck business model
Last edited:
I first read this as programming the perfect temperature for (cooking/destroying) a cellphone, LMFAO. I'm usually telling people that I flush mine down the toilet on my days offAnyone have a Traeger grill? One day I will, cuz programming the perfect temp from your cellphone sounds amazing.
Do you have the ryobi leaf blower/hedge trimmer? I used the leaf blower and it just feels weak to me...honestly had some hair driers with more power. The hedge trimmer I am debating returning before even trying as I'm suspicious that will lack power as well. Maybe I just got a bad unit?Yeah mostly use ryobi (cordless power tools) because of the whole battery commitment thing and huge range of tools (quite a bunch of overlapping functions for many of the lawn care stuff at least)....function & form (work well enough & mobile) >>> Aesthetics (ok, lime green is just a color!!!). I do like rigid shop vacuums, going with butane cordless solder and mini torch (benzomatic). Quite fond of Milwaukee utility knives, random small hand tools, & dexterity gloves (Amazing gloves).
Got to do some more research for welding though (nothing super fancy or high end/specialty) and might get a mill station in the future (love working with metal)
If there is any ryobi piece to get it would be the hot glue guns (like holy ****, I'm like a kid in a candy store thinking of all kinds of applications & coming up with designs):
View attachment 338005
Now if I was to directly compete on the same turf as your ice cream truck business, I'd have to take you down a peg with liquid nitrogen crafted ice cream along with the whole vaccine/ice cream truck business model
Haven't tried either of those tools yet...would suggest researching delving into options first. Hybrid plus has corded option or battery/cordless option (factors like proper battery amp and power cord gauge can play a factor in how "powerful"/intensity of performance a device may operate. Yeah this is where Ryobi can give decision fatigue (so many options and overlap with many of the outdoor tools)Do you have the ryobi leaf blower/hedge trimmer? I used the leaf blower and it just feels weak to me...honestly had some hair driers with more power. The hedge trimmer I am debating returning before even trying as I'm suspicious that will lack power as well. Maybe I just got a bad unit?
I only have 5 batteries in my arsenal of tools (20+ power tools?); one behemoth 9 amp battery, one 6 amp, and some baby 2 amps for quick simple stuff (one in my car attached to inverter for emergency use)
Do you have the ryobi leaf blower/hedge trimmer? I used the leaf blower and it just feels weak to me...honestly had some hair driers with more power. The hedge trimmer I am debating returning before even trying as I'm suspicious that will lack power as well. Maybe I just got a bad unit?
For cordless yard tools, you gotta go with Ego 56v line. They are top of the line, the most expensive but you get what you pay for. They have the best and most powerful batteries. I have the lawnmower, backpack leaf blower, 2 stage snowblower, hedge trimmer, weed wacker and edger. Their leaf blower is as powerful as gas. I think the newest model is like 650CFM now. I didn't think a cordless snowblower could handle New England snow, but Ego did it. The thing's a beast.
Ryobi is best for hand tools.
I first read this as programming the perfect temperature for (cooking/destroying) a cellphone, LMFAO. I'm usually telling people that I flush mine down the toilet on my days off
Electric grill man! Can check on your temperatures via cellphone while inside watching the game. Mind blown.
Electric grill man! Can check on your temperatures via cellphone while inside watching the game. Mind blown.
FireBoard on my Kamado Joe. One of the best things I’ve done in a while.
Attachments
I know, I know....some days I just feel like maliciously murdering my cell phone though...for the sick pleasure of course. Death by baseball bat would do well tooElectric grill man! Can check on your temperatures via cellphone while inside watching the game. Mind blown.
Although...electric grills...."that boy ain't right"
Last edited:
3 tanks of propane here, ain't a problem for me.
Will report back with how the bamboo sheets experiment goes - hoping for maximum cooling/temp regulation.
Will report back with how the bamboo sheets experiment goes - hoping for maximum cooling/temp regulation.
3 tanks of propane here, ain't a problem for me.
Will report back with how the bamboo sheets experiment goes - hoping for maximum cooling/temp regulation.
Cooling Weighted Blanket - Organic TENCEL™ - Tree Napper
A cooling weighted blanket to help you sleep better and feel calmer, naturally. Made of TENCEL™. Your Napper should be about 10% of your body weight
Nice and breathable materials (no waking up drenched in sweat...other factors at play like SSRI). Keep us posted on how the bamboo sheets work out for you...or not?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bought my 3rd rental property. Makes me happy because I'm more than half way towards financial goal. Once I have 5 rental properties, I will quit or work only part time. Wil live off $4,000 monhly income after paying mortgage.
Bought my 3rd rental property. Makes me happy because I'm more than half way towards financial goal. Once I have 5 rental properties, I will quit or work only part time. Wil live off $4,000 monhly income after paying mortgage.
Congrats. Actually in the works to sell my 1st rental (6/30/21). Market is good for sellers right now.
Bamboo sheets: god dang they are soft. Far better than my previous sheets. Unsure of how well temperature regulation is... will have to give it more time. Amazon: Oasis Fine Linens Island Bamboo Collection is the item.
Amazon Blink cameras. Allow me to keep an eye on the home and the babysitter from anywhere.
Amazon Blink cameras. Allow me to keep an eye on the home and the babysitter from anywhere.
Make sure to opt out of sharing your internet with Amazon devices.
Amazon’s new feature will share your internet connection with neighbors (but you can opt out)
Unless you opt-out of Amazon Sidewalk - you’re going to start sharing your internet with your neighbors on June 8 on select Amazon devices.
Oh man, @Sparda29 is on team Breeder? I'm honestly kind of disappointed...redeeming factors to save face for your character here: single father, mother = hooker, escort, unknown, etc.Amazon Blink cameras. Allow me to keep an eye on the home and the babysitter from anywhere.
RYOBI Tools - FREE TOOL with Purchase!
Get a Free Select RYOBI 18V ONE+ Product when you purchase a 4Ah Battery 2-Pack and Charger Starter Kit. Shop RYOBI Days at Home Depot, in-store and online 5/24/21-8/01/21. While supplies last.
promotions.ryobitools.com
Ryobi days sale going on now if anyone needs batteries or tools. Battery kit + free tool for $99. Great deal. The hedge trimmer alone is worth $99.
RYOBI Tools - FREE TOOL with Purchase!
Get a Free Select RYOBI 18V ONE+ Product when you purchase a 4Ah Battery 2-Pack and Charger Starter Kit. Shop RYOBI Days at Home Depot, in-store and online 5/24/21-8/01/21. While supplies last.promotions.ryobitools.com
Ryobi days sale going on now if anyone needs batteries or tools. Battery kit + free tool for $99. Great deal. The hedge trimmer alone is worth $99.
Thx man, been needing an edger. Just picked it up with this battery kit.
StockPharmD2020
Full Member
Microfiber sheets are nice?
Oh man, @Sparda29 is on team Breeder? I'm honestly kind of disappointed...redeeming factors to save face for your character here: single father, mother = hooker, escort, unknown, etc.
2 kids, 2 different mothers. Married to the mother of the baby.
When I think of/imagine sparda29 as a father...
watchfulwaiting1957
Bible Scholar
Thank you for making such a thoughtful and useful thread!1. Share ideas about additions to/fixing up homes (doesn't have to be DIY, though). Example: I'm considering adding a screened in back porch to the back yard patio. Also curious about any other additions that may have brought you & family joy, or increased the value of your home?
2. Share about items purchased recently that you feel have improved your life and brought you joy, that others might be interested in. I was hoping to get opinions on a decent grill, $200-300 range if anyone had suggestions? One thing that has improved my life would be the Audible app though, I'm really enjoying listening to books on the way to work.
Fano
Pre-Mad
I second this. My less than young eyes went for a 43" though. Also, a swivel arm. I hesitated because of the cost but I'm so glad I splurged. (Keep in mind I spend most of my working time in front of this screen.)QHD (2560 x 1440 resolution) LED monitor. I got a 25" Dell U2518D for $250 on a swivel arm that I plug my laptop into. Improves productivity a lot because you can have a web browser on half the screen, and another web page, spreadsheet, PDF, etc on the other half. Most web pages are only optimized to display around 1280 pixels wide anyway, otherwise reading 20" from left to right is literally a pain in the neck. It just did my taxes completely on the screen.
Fano
Pre-Mad
I bought smart locks years ago after the n-teenth time coming home to no one at home and the front door unlocked. I specifically wanted the feature that locked automatically after 30 sec. Bought the garage door openers more recently and love how I can program them to close after x minutes or at a certain time of day. I have also found for an n-teenth number of times the attached garage wide open in the morning. Thankfully nothing was ever missing.I have a water softener as well but am quite certain it is a ripoff. Oh well, live and learn.
I almost sprang for the tankless hot water heater but decided for the volume of water I use it didn’t make sense. I got a hybrid hot water heater instead and so far so good. Very energy efficient.
I love smart locks and smart garage door opener. Usually I find those types of upgrades to be questionable but I don’t regret them at all. Even something as simple as a motion actives light in the garage has become like one of my favorite features of my home, lol
I bought smart locks years ago after the n-teenth time coming home to no one at home and the front door unlocked. I specifically wanted the feature that locked automatically after 30 sec. Bought the garage door openers more recently and love how I can program them to close after x minutes or at a certain time of day. I have also found for an n-teenth number of times the attached garage wide open in the morning. Thankfully nothing was ever missing.
Lol what is wrong with the people in your house, I guess I grew up in the hood but it’s 2021 we’ve been locking doors since the Night Stalker was making the rounds!
oh that’s a good idea: make them watch that on Netflix.
Yeah, this is like the coolest off topic/non-pharmacy thread in recent memory.
Finally got around to trying my reciprocating saw (ryobi)...just felt oh so satisfying cutting through some thick plastic (less plastic in my life, the better...stainless steel, nylon, high density rubber...materials that will stand the test of time)
Down the road looking to get an electronic lawn mower & angle grinder (corded>>>cordless, possibly hybrid) for metal work: forging, welding, brazing, etc.
Finally got around to trying my reciprocating saw (ryobi)...just felt oh so satisfying cutting through some thick plastic (less plastic in my life, the better...stainless steel, nylon, high density rubber...materials that will stand the test of time)
Down the road looking to get an electronic lawn mower & angle grinder (corded>>>cordless, possibly hybrid) for metal work: forging, welding, brazing, etc.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Fano
Pre-Mad
Combination of very active kids, single-bolt locks that need a key to lock from the outside and the occasional forgetfulness. I had to inspect all the doors before going to bed but unfortunately my kids didn't inherit my early-to-bed-early-to-rise trait so can't help what happens while I'm peacefully snoozing. I have no explanation for my spouse though. Fortunately, we didn't live in the hood.Lol what is wrong with the people in your house, I guess I grew up in the hood but it’s 2021 we’ve been locking doors since the Night Stalker was making the rounds!
oh that’s a good idea: make them watch that on Netflix.
recently built a home theatre in the basement. 120 inch screen 4K projector and 5.1 channel sound system with yamaha receiver. Loving it!!!!
Looking into the projector route myself, which one did you get?recently built a home theatre in the basement. 120 inch screen 4K projector and 5.1 channel sound system with yamaha receiver. Loving it!!!!
Awesome stuff. Which projector?recently built a home theatre in the basement. 120 inch screen 4K projector and 5.1 channel sound system with yamaha receiver. Loving it!!!!
5.2 here and watched Conjuring last night... subs were banging!
Looking into the projector route myself, which one did you get?
Imo, a mid range Optoma will do very well. I posted the one I have somewhere above ITT.
Ben Q 4K. it's really nice. it's on sale right now at best buy for $949. not bad for 4k projector. colors are vibrant and quality is top notch.Looking into the projector route myself, which one did you get?
i got ben q 4k. yes, movie nights are really fun now. for working couple with kids-it's blessing as we barely find time to go for a movie.Awesome stuff. Which projector?
5.2 here and watched Conjuring last night... subs were banging!
Imo, a mid range Optoma will do very well. I posted the one I have somewhere above ITT.
recently built a home theatre in the basement. 120 inch screen 4K projector and 5.1 channel sound system with yamaha receiver. Loving it!!!!
Only 5.1? Pff I’m disappointed! Hope your receiver has connections for Atmos speakers. Nothing like hearing bullets whiz by your head.
lol! i think 5.1 is way more than enough for us. book shelf speakers are mounted at appropriate height in the back above the couch. So pretty satisfied with bullets whiz!!!! And yes that receiver does have connections to hook up atmos. may be I will add later on.Only 5.1? Pff I’m disappointed! Hope your receiver has connections for Atmos speakers. Nothing like hearing bullets whiz by your head.
lol! i think 5.1 is way more than enough for us. book shelf speakers are mounted at appropriate height in the back above the couch. So pretty satisfied with bullets whiz!!!! And yes that receiver does have connections to hook up atmos. may be I will add later on.
I know I know, I’m being mildly sarcastic. A high quality 5.1 system is more than enough, but once you fall down the HT rabbit hole, you start opining for 7.1.2 with DTS:X & Atmos capability, and then you’ll start caring about your source material to make sure it’s not some compressed garbage from your streaming service.
I actually do notice a difference in audio when I watch a movie on my physical Blu-Ray player vs stream something online…and I use a <$200 cheap-o Sony player, to boot.
Three years ago
went from this to this
Very nice! Love the blue paint.
you are absolutely correct. I just installed wifi mesh in the house coz I wasn't getting enough speed in the basement. It did improve my streaming but still not like blu-ray player. (i just used my old PS4 to check) .I am trying new things and learning gradually.I know I know, I’m being mildly sarcastic. A high quality 5.1 system is more than enough, but once you fall down the HT rabbit hole, you start opining for 7.1.2 with DTS:X & Atmos capability, and then you’ll start caring about your source material to make sure it’s not some compressed garbage from your streaming service.
I actually do notice a difference in audio when I watch a movie on my physical Blu-Ray player vs stream something online…and I use a <$200 cheap-o Sony player, to boot.
My brother is building new house, so I guess I can guide him for his home theater system. 🙂
You should have seen the contractor. When my wife got the teal paint, he tested it out on a piece of dry wall. But she was certain. It's the paint and the soap stone counters that make the kitchen. If you are a serious cook, there is no other counter. It;s basically indestructible. You you scratch it, you file it out. You can take a pan off of the stove and put it right on the counter.Very nice! Love the blue paint.
You should have seen the contractor. When my wife got the teal paint, he tested it out on a piece of dry wall. But she was certain. It's the paint and the soap stone counters that make the kitchen. If you are a serious cook, there is no other counter. It;s basically indestructible. You you scratch it, you file it out. You can take a pan off of the stove and put it right on the counter.
Was the contractor unsure of the color? Choosing paint colors is tough. We probably went through 20 similar samples before deciding. The color looks completely different until you actually paint the wall and see it in different angles and lighting.
Interesting counters. Are soapstone counters a new trend? Never heard of it. The new houses I see all have quartz or traditional granite.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nice counter tops!
Down the road, I plan on constructing a shop area (mill/press) & thinking of creating a welding/brazing station to drag outside (ceramics, heavy duty counter tops similar to a lab setting). I get inspiration from watching Adam Savage's youtube channel (crazy creativity)
Down the road, I plan on constructing a shop area (mill/press) & thinking of creating a welding/brazing station to drag outside (ceramics, heavy duty counter tops similar to a lab setting). I get inspiration from watching Adam Savage's youtube channel (crazy creativity)
He was unsure my wife would really like it. She knew exactly what she wanted.Was the contractor unsure of the color? Choosing paint colors is tough. We probably went through 20 similar samples before deciding. The color looks completely different until you actually paint the wall and see it in different angles and lighting.
Interesting counters. Are soapstone counters a new trend? Never heard of it. The new houses I see all have quartz or traditional granite.
As for the counters I would never get anything else. When you research it all of thee cons to soapstone are that it gets scratched. Here is my response:
He was unsure my wife would really like it. She knew exactly what she wanted.
As for the counters I would never get anything else. When you research it all of thee cons to soapstone are that it gets scratched. Here is my response:
Love it, anyone wanting to restore steels, irons, zinc coatings, etc. steel wool #0000 grade (ultra fine) is my secret/weapon of choice for restoration to minimize damage/scratching
Last edited:
Bump!
C'mon, anyone? Summer is chalk full of remodeling opportunities and projects galore.
Next on my agenda will be getting an electric lawn mower (nothing overkill or exciting, small area to manage)
Making some pharmacy store improvements as I'm officially the "fix-it-B!tch" after a whole bunch of talks of getting a corporate sponsored remodeling that keeps getting brushed aside/cancelled/or complete change of plans (it's fun for me to play around with tools, stress relief)
C'mon, anyone? Summer is chalk full of remodeling opportunities and projects galore.
Next on my agenda will be getting an electric lawn mower (nothing overkill or exciting, small area to manage)
Making some pharmacy store improvements as I'm officially the "fix-it-B!tch" after a whole bunch of talks of getting a corporate sponsored remodeling that keeps getting brushed aside/cancelled/or complete change of plans (it's fun for me to play around with tools, stress relief)
Bump!
C'mon, anyone? Summer is chalk full of remodeling opportunities and projects galore.
Next on my agenda will be getting an electric lawn mower (nothing overkill or exciting, small area to manage)
Making some pharmacy store improvements as I'm officially the "fix-it-B!tch" after a whole bunch of talks of getting a corporate sponsored remodeling that keeps getting brushed aside/cancelled/or complete change of plans (it's fun for me to play around with tools, stress relief)
Already got the full Ego lawn tool lineup. Mower, leaf blower, weed whacker, edger, hedge trimmer, and snowblower. My neighbor copied me and got the leaf blower.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 4K
- Question
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K