Home improvement & recent purchases that improved your life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No signs of mice/vermin...still need to go over seals though. Neighbors kitty cats will rid the area clean of little critters; might get my own attack kitty cat for moles, mice, etc.

So @mentos I doubt your kids can provide you with such adequate pest control security as a cat or even a dog would provide. Let the smack down begin

We might get a pet later on. Mice wouldn't be a concern in the summer but I would definitely make sure it's sealed for winter.
 
Last edited:
Bump

Just about done with moving into/breaking in first home...just got to haul some garbage to junk yard to fix up my outdoor shed (picked up electronic lawn mower, weed whacker, and set up compost heap for grass clippings + tree debris....maybe get into gardening next year?)

Outdoor lighting is next on my **** list to tackle fixing up and unifying LED lights (indoor was an absolute **** show of a disorganized cluster ****....annoys me so much how negligent people are on lighting). Interior door seals as well for minor touch up

*I have some "blank canvas" rooms to hit up in the future...one will be a guest bedroom for sure (possibly rent out in the future, have family/friends stay over, etc....I've got an entire vacant attic that can serve in holding decor/switching stuff out) & the other room being an entrance room to make into some sort of lounge...thinking having an indoor herb garden or maybe just be a social room (dance floor, poker table, something along those lines?)
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone considered a metal roof?
Haven't had the need to look much into yet...seems ripe with chemical engineering possibilities, like cerakote (tm?)/ceramic coating fusion/integration with various metals as a means of mitigating against rust & improving hydrophobicity. New technology I've seen used in fire arms, auto detailing, and gym equipment...pretty cool idea
 
Haven't had the need to look much into yet...seems ripe with chemical engineering possibilities, like cerakote (tm?)/ceramic coating fusion/integration with various metals as a means of mitigating against rust & improving hydrophobicity. New technology I've seen used in fire arms, auto detailing, and gym equipment...pretty cool idea

I just don't want to deal with ice dams.
 
I'm considering a Tesla solar roof

I got a quick quote for my house and it was close to 100k LoL. Even if I had a million dollar home, I can't imagine spending that much on the roof. Cheaper to get a metal roof and panels if I wanted to go that route.
 
Last edited:
ooooh baby, got to see what my reciprocating saw is capable today...breaking down old furniture, lawn debris, wood. Proper blade chewed right through everything with ease...highly versatile tool; very good jack of many trades cutting tool...no table saws, jigsaws, band saws, etc. for the time being. Might be picking up an electric pole chainsaw for oak and pine tree management...hedges too (function > aesthetics)
 
I got a quick quote for my house and it was close to 100k LoL. Even if I had a million dollar home, I can't imagine spending that much on the roof. Cheaper to get a metal roof and panels if I wanted to go that route.
It is a roof plus solar panels, have to factor that in as well
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For anyone that has Experience with solar panels - do they add any value from an actual sales price perspective? Let’s say I put them up 3 years ago, paid in full, and move. So I actually recoup any of the money?
 
got one of those tripple chargers from amazon: for Iphone and watch..dont own any buds yet.....but 1 cord and space saver as well.
 
Google says a new roof is around 10k, solar panels 15-40k. Can get two of those for the price of Tesla roof.

I had a roofer come look at the small leak in our ceiling and around the skylights. He said it would be around $1k to fix. I asked if it was worth getting a whole new roof, he said no that'd be around 10k. So I guess 10k is pretty accurate for a new roof.

If Tesla roofs were around 50k then it'd be worth it, but right now you can get at least 2 new roofs + 2 sets of solar panels for the same price.
 
I had a roofer come look at the small leak in our ceiling and around the skylights. He said it would be around $1k to fix. I asked if it was worth getting a whole new roof, he said no that'd be around 10k. So I guess 10k is pretty accurate for a new roof.

If Tesla roofs were around 50k then it'd be worth it, but right now you can get at least 2 new roofs + 2 sets of solar panels for the same price.
I contacted a roofer once and he wanted a $400 just to come look at it. Ended up calling a handy man to fix it.
 
Plumbers are the same way in my experience. I just had one that charges $89 just to come out and look.
With plumbers you will have guys that charge service calls and some that do free inspection. If you call them on a weekend its definitely going to be even more than that 89.
 
Last edited:
Lame. Never had a contractor charge anything just to look at it.
It's seems normal nowadays. Ever take your car to a dealer to get it fixed? They will charge 150 diagnostic fee to look at it if it's out of warranty. Heck even my wife's doctor charged a 40 copays for a 5 minute phone call with nurse to discuss an upcoming surgery.
 
It's seems normal nowadays. Ever take your car to a dealer to get it fixed? They will charge 150 diagnostic fee to look at it if it's out of warranty. Heck even my wife's doctor charged a 40 copays for a 5 minute phone call with nurse to discuss an upcoming surgery.
You can get a decent enough OBD reader for ~$100 (I've got the Bluedriver - with live diagnostics App) and save God only knows how much in repairs with a little know how & thought how to use said device to stay on top of maintenance and repairs before they lead to more serious ****
 
It's seems normal nowadays. Ever take your car to a dealer to get it fixed? They will charge 150 diagnostic fee to look at it if it's out of warranty. Heck even my wife's doctor charged a 40 copays for a 5 minute phone call with nurse to discuss an upcoming surgery.

No, the dealer is the last place I'd take my car unless it's free under warranty. They are a scam. An honest independent mechanic will take a look at your car without charging you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Highly recommend watching some Scotty Kilmer and Chrisfix youtubers for learning some basic DIY & industry know-how around automobiles
Chrisfix being the much less gimmicky, less bias of the two (honest, humble guy)

Scotty is hilarious. His videos summed up - buy a '94 Celica.
 
TIL: your roof can be metal.

Seriously, I had no idea, now I’m reading. I’m like 5 years in with a new concrete tile roof, so I will likely be closer to dead before having to replace it.
 
In the market for a new TV - looking for OLED 65 inch. May wait until closer to black friday for deals. Any recommendations?
 
In the market for a new TV - looking for OLED 65 inch. May wait until closer to black friday for deals. Any recommendations?

The LG brand CX series has great reviews. We did not want to spend over 2k for a TV at the time and was concerned with "burn-in" associated with OLED so decided on the Samsung 65" Q70A QLED instead.
 
In the market for a new TV - looking for OLED 65 inch. May wait until closer to black friday for deals. Any recommendations?
None. OLED tech is still too finicky unless you want to replace soon. Also, most of this model year's parts are all screwed up surely supply chain shortages and third party suppliers. That goes for cars and other electronics.
 
The LG brand CX series has great reviews. We did not want to spend over 2k for a TV at the time and was concerned with "burn-in" associated with OLED so decided on the Samsung 65" Q70A QLED instead.
OLED technology has made advances in their screens to resist "burn-in". They also have workarounds for it (screens dim and change to a screensaver that moves after some time).

However, if you plan to use it as a computer monitor, then burn-in is very much a concern.
 
I bought a Samsung 65" TV last November from Target. It was around $600. I don't know the difference between a $600 TV and a $3k TV but the one I got is real nice.

I remember when 42" plasma TVs were $5k when they first came out LoL.
 
I bought a Samsung 65" TV last November from Target. It was around $600. I don't know the difference between a $600 TV and a $3k TV but the one I got is real nice.

I remember when 42" plasma TVs were $5k when they first came out LoL.
we spent ~$1500 for ours but it also came with a $300 Costco cash card.

Looking for advice on a nespresso machine...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Or a 2002 Lexus.

Can't stand him. He is biased towards reliability instead of performance when it comes to recommending cars.

His target audience is the average Joe who doesn't want to deal with repairs and maintenance.