You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Home improvement & recent purchases that improved your life
Started by PharmDBro2017
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
humor us!I have a property that needs a new fence and holy moley guys are we in the wrong business. It’s mind-boggling what fence companies want to charge.
72 inch chain link club checking in.
Everbilt 6 ft. x 50 ft. 11.5- Gauge Galvanized Steel Chain Link Fence Fabric 308706EB - The Home Depot
Secure your job site from theft, hazard liability and dumping with this Everbilt CHAIN LINK FABRIC 23/.
www.homedepot.com
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a property that needs a new fence and holy moley guys are we in the wrong business. It’s mind-boggling what fence companies want to charge.
What kind of fence? I've considered getting a white picket fence to keep my kid from running in the street.
hmmm on the topic of fences, any suggestions for materials used to build a compost heap area?
I'm liking idea of previous post, galvanized zinc chain link...weather resistant enough and application to use magnets is always a plus
I'm liking idea of previous post, galvanized zinc chain link...weather resistant enough and application to use magnets is always a plus
Last edited:
Mostly tech stuff, but here's a few:
Silk pillowcases - The cheaper ones (like a Sleep Mantra one) seem just about as good as the expensive ones (like SLIP) with the main thing to look for being if you want the pillowcase to zip up. Supposed to help your skin and such, but I think it just feels much nicer/cooler. Others have mentioned things like sheets etc. probably worth upgrading.
Smart thermostat - agree with others very nice to have and possibly cost-saving.
Two desktop monitors, and/or a Portable Monitor that can plug into a laptop - Seems like a given, but in recent years I feel like the cost has come down so much for them. For the portable one it is nice to have for gaming, watching shows around the house etc.
Ergonomic computer chair with mesh backing - Much comfier to me than leather gaming style ones.
Password manager app e.g. Lastpass or 1Password - life-changing how quick and secure signing into everything basically automatically is, and always having access to them on the go. Pretty cheap subscription worth it for all the time you save.
Apple Watch - I was skeptical too (like "wouldn't this just save me two seconds taking my phone out of my pocket?"), but if willing to pay the money (get a cheaper one) it has been nice to quickly handle things like glance at texts while working, pulling up a password as mentioned above, quickly seeing info like weather/date/time, controlling music apps while doing things like cooking/dishes, having voice commands at the ready, etc.
Silk pillowcases - The cheaper ones (like a Sleep Mantra one) seem just about as good as the expensive ones (like SLIP) with the main thing to look for being if you want the pillowcase to zip up. Supposed to help your skin and such, but I think it just feels much nicer/cooler. Others have mentioned things like sheets etc. probably worth upgrading.
Smart thermostat - agree with others very nice to have and possibly cost-saving.
Two desktop monitors, and/or a Portable Monitor that can plug into a laptop - Seems like a given, but in recent years I feel like the cost has come down so much for them. For the portable one it is nice to have for gaming, watching shows around the house etc.
Ergonomic computer chair with mesh backing - Much comfier to me than leather gaming style ones.
Password manager app e.g. Lastpass or 1Password - life-changing how quick and secure signing into everything basically automatically is, and always having access to them on the go. Pretty cheap subscription worth it for all the time you save.
Apple Watch - I was skeptical too (like "wouldn't this just save me two seconds taking my phone out of my pocket?"), but if willing to pay the money (get a cheaper one) it has been nice to quickly handle things like glance at texts while working, pulling up a password as mentioned above, quickly seeing info like weather/date/time, controlling music apps while doing things like cooking/dishes, having voice commands at the ready, etc.
Wood fence. One company quoted about 4K for repairing existing fence and two other companies quoted 9k to replace existing fence.What kind of fence? I've considered getting a white picket fence to keep my kid from running in the street.
Still enjoying my solar panels. 😎
Does anyone here have an electric car? I've been thinking about switching over. It won't be a Tesla though, because that Elon Musk guy is a total kook.
Does anyone here have an electric car? I've been thinking about switching over. It won't be a Tesla though, because that Elon Musk guy is a total kook.
Still enjoying my solar panels. 😎
Does anyone here have an electric car? I've been thinking about switching over. It won't be a Tesla though, because that Elon Musk guy is a total kook.
How much were your panels? We got a quote for like 45k. Our electric bill is only $150/mo or so, would take us 20+ years to break even. My roof won't last that long so it not worth it for us.
Which EV are you looking at?
I have solar panels and a plug in Prius. Not a bad combo at all imo.Still enjoying my solar panels. 😎
Does anyone here have an electric car? I've been thinking about switching over. It won't be a Tesla though, because that Elon Musk guy is a total kook.
Mine were about $22k before federal rebates. $15k after. I think break even will be around 12-13 years from what I could tell. Note that there were wide variations on prices quoted. I talked with several companies and chose the one with the best reputation. Coincidentally they also had the best warranty for everything, as well as the best price.How much were your panels? We got a quote for like 45k. Our electric bill is only $150/mo or so, would take us 20+ years to break even. My roof won't last that long so it not worth it for us.
Which EV are you looking at?
I've been looking at used Nissan Leafs. I also keep seeing that Nissan is coming out with a pretty great looking electric vehicle called the Ariya early next year. Long range, AWD, large cargo space...sign me up!
It really depends on code rules in your city. If the company has to do a bunch of BS paperwork for zoning and architectural council issues to permit, they really fleece you. The other thing is if you're FL, there's rules about property lines and water drainage that get the fence company sued if they do it wrong. I remember this from a conversation with one of the FL faculty with respect to weird uses for house insurance and umbrella policies. But it should be somewhere between $45 and $90 per linear foot depending on material and PITA issues. Posts alone for a DIY are more expensive due to the wood shortage.Wood fence. One company quoted about 4K for repairing existing fence and two other companies quoted 9k to replace existing fence.
On the Leaf:
Replacing the Nissan Leaf Battery Is Insanely Expensive
The Nissan Leaf is one of the most popular EV SUVs you can buy. But while your Nissan Leaf saves you from the cost of fuel, for now, the battery could be
www.motorbiscuit.com
This is true for most older pre-2015 EV models, the technology has changed to the point where the older batteries are not being built at the quantities needed for volume discounts. If you are buying used, look up the battery replacement price before you buy. It's more like buying a Chromebook.
The only reason to consider Tesla is their more robust super charger network.
If you’re just commuting with the car and plug in at home, leaf, bolt, ID4, etc… are looking good. But if you plan on using it for longer road trips, Tesla might be a better option.
Current non-Tesla public charging stations kind of suck.
If you’re just commuting with the car and plug in at home, leaf, bolt, ID4, etc… are looking good. But if you plan on using it for longer road trips, Tesla might be a better option.
Current non-Tesla public charging stations kind of suck.
humor us!
72 inch chain link club checking in.
![]()
Everbilt 6 ft. x 50 ft. 11.5- Gauge Galvanized Steel Chain Link Fence Fabric 308706EB - The Home Depot
Secure your job site from theft, hazard liability and dumping with this Everbilt CHAIN LINK FABRIC 23/.www.homedepot.com
Curious @radio frequency , can you give me some insights (advantages, disadvantages) on owning a solar system, specifically for living in a 4 season area (true winters)? Something I've been thinking aboutStill enjoying my solar panels. 😎
Does anyone here have an electric car? I've been thinking about switching over. It won't be a Tesla though, because that Elon Musk guy is a total kook.
Re: electric cars...I specifically held off (major auto purchase last 2019). I like the idea overall but the maintenance, upkeep, uncertainty with new technology (difficulty in repairing), and overall lack of proper infrastructure has me giving electronic cars a solid decade or so to wait to pan out more. Hybrids seem like an ok compromise right now (can be tricky/difficult to repair though)....youtube Scotty Kilmer for more auto insight (great advice and perspective for keeping auto costs low/minimal)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Re: solar panels...there honestly isn't much to think about! You won't generate nearly as much energy in winter as in summer, but you'll need the energy more in summer anyway to cut your air conditioning costs. What you really need is for the solar company to run a breakeven analysis based on your past electricity usage. Ask how your municipal power company treats energy; some pay you back for whatever you generate that goes to the grid and some do not. This will definitely affect your breakeven period. Sometimes companies will add in a fixed annual increase rate for electricity costs to go up to this analysis. I would make sure not to include that in your analysis as it is an unknown, and it is also possible for costs to go down. Try to get a company that is actually run by engineers and not salespeople. It makes a difference in how they will present the opportunity to buy, in my experience. Also, ask how often they get roof leaks after they install. A good company should not be regularly getting roof leaks; my company reported they hadn't had a leak yet.Curious @radio frequency , can you give me some insights (advantages, disadvantages) on owning a solar system, specifically for living in a 4 season area (true winters)? Something I've been thinking about
Re: electric cars...I specifically held off (major auto purchase last 2019). I like the idea overall but the maintenance, upkeep, uncertainty with new technology (difficulty in repairing), and overall lack of proper infrastructure has me giving electronic cars a solid decade or so to wait to pan out more. Hybrids seem like an ok compromise right now (can be tricky/difficult to repair though)....youtube Scotty Kilmer for more auto insight (great advice and perspective for keeping auto costs low/minimal)
The nice thing about solar panels is that you really don't have maintenance costs. There isn't anything to do. They just sit there, season after season. You don't even have to get the snow off them; it just melts away over a few days. The one extra cost to figure in is the age of your roof. If you need a roof replacement, taking your system off and reinstalling could be expensive. Get that price ahead of time. The best time to put a system on is soon after a new roof install, or on a roof with a long life ahead of it.
Thanks for the advice!Re: solar panels...there honestly isn't much to think about! You won't generate nearly as much energy in winter as in summer, but you'll need the energy more in summer anyway to cut your air conditioning costs. What you really need is for the solar company to run a breakeven analysis based on your past electricity usage. Ask how your municipal power company treats energy; some pay you back for whatever you generate that goes to the grid and some do not. This will definitely affect your breakeven period. Sometimes companies will add in a fixed annual increase rate for electricity costs to go up to this analysis. I would make sure not to include that in your analysis as it is an unknown, and it is also possible for costs to go down. Try to get a company that is actually run by engineers and not salespeople. It makes a difference in how they will present the opportunity to buy, in my experience. Also, ask how often they get roof leaks after they install. A good company should not be regularly getting roof leaks; my company reported they hadn't had a leak yet.
The nice thing about solar panels is that you really don't have maintenance costs. There isn't anything to do. They just sit there, season after season. You don't even have to get the snow off them; it just melts away over a few days. The one extra cost to figure in is the age of your roof. If you need a roof replacement, taking your system off and reinstalling could be expensive. Get that price ahead of time. The best time to put a system on is soon after a new roof install, or on a roof with a long life ahead of it.
Electric F-150 looks pretty sick.
Also not sure if I posted in here to follow up about the bamboo sheets - super worth it. May buy a couple more of them.
Also not sure if I posted in here to follow up about the bamboo sheets - super worth it. May buy a couple more of them.
The F-150 EV looks awesome but it's expensive AF. Never knew about the Nissan Ariya, looks pretty decent. That's a big purchase vs a used Leaf LoL.
For 40k price range I'd get the Toyota RAV4 Prime plug in. It still qualifies for federal 7500 rebate and state rebates so it's closer to 33k after incentives. That's almost half the cost of a model Y. 42 miles on EV is plenty for a commute and 600 mile range means no waiting on road trips. You still get the benefits of an EV like parking at a charging station and HOV sticker. Plus it's almost as fast as a Supra. People will think you're in a regular soccer mom RAV. Put on sport mode and the BMW trying to pass you will eat your dust.
For 40k price range I'd get the Toyota RAV4 Prime plug in. It still qualifies for federal 7500 rebate and state rebates so it's closer to 33k after incentives. That's almost half the cost of a model Y. 42 miles on EV is plenty for a commute and 600 mile range means no waiting on road trips. You still get the benefits of an EV like parking at a charging station and HOV sticker. Plus it's almost as fast as a Supra. People will think you're in a regular soccer mom RAV. Put on sport mode and the BMW trying to pass you will eat your dust.
I agree with this.Re: solar panels...there honestly isn't much to think about!
I think people overestimate how expensive solar really is. Instead of looking at a break-even point, think of it from a cash flow perspective. My energy bill went from $180-220/month down to $15-25/month plus then about 100/month for the panels (financed @3.5% - could have paid outright but again I preferred to look at it from cashflow rather than a breakeven point perspective) for a total cost of about $115-125/month. No out-of-pocket costs at all. That is an immediate reduction in monthly expenses by what, at least 60 dollars? Where else can you possibly find that kind of immediate ROI? Add in a 28% tax rebate and I just do not understand why they aren't on every homeowner's roof. Not to mention once they are paid off my energy bill will be negligible. And that includes the fuel costs of my car since it is a plug-in hybrid that I rarely ever put gas into!
Agree with this point, too. But consider if you sell your home, you will have to pay that loan off first usually. If you are staying put indefinitely, the point is moot though.I agree with this.
I think people overestimate how expensive solar really is. Instead of looking at a break-even point, think of it from a cash flow perspective. My energy bill went from $180-220/month down to $15-25/month plus then about 100/month for the panels (financed @3.5% - could have paid outright but again I preferred to look at it from cashflow rather than a breakeven point perspective) for a total cost of about $115-125/month. No out-of-pocket costs at all. That is an immediate reduction in monthly expenses by what, at least 60 dollars? Where else can you possibly find that kind of immediate ROI? Add in a 28% tax rebate and I just do not understand why they aren't on every homeowner's roof. Not to mention once they are paid off my energy bill will be negligible. And that includes the fuel costs of my car since it is a plug-in hybrid that I rarely ever put gas into!
I paid cash. I think I could have gotten a better return in the stock market, but it's less of a guarantee. Plus this just feels better to me.
There are some things to consider:Re: solar panels...there honestly isn't much to think about! You won't generate nearly as much energy in winter as in summer, but you'll need the energy more in summer anyway to cut your air conditioning costs. What you really need is for the solar company to run a breakeven analysis based on your past electricity usage. Ask how your municipal power company treats energy; some pay you back for whatever you generate that goes to the grid and some do not. This will definitely affect your breakeven period. Sometimes companies will add in a fixed annual increase rate for electricity costs to go up to this analysis. I would make sure not to include that in your analysis as it is an unknown, and it is also possible for costs to go down. Try to get a company that is actually run by engineers and not salespeople. It makes a difference in how they will present the opportunity to buy, in my experience. Also, ask how often they get roof leaks after they install. A good company should not be regularly getting roof leaks; my company reported they hadn't had a leak yet.
The nice thing about solar panels is that you really don't have maintenance costs. There isn't anything to do. They just sit there, season after season. You don't even have to get the snow off them; it just melts away over a few days. The one extra cost to figure in is the age of your roof. If you need a roof replacement, taking your system off and reinstalling could be expensive. Get that price ahead of time. The best time to put a system on is soon after a new roof install, or on a roof with a long life ahead of it.
In MN, we have hail storms, like terrible ones that destroy roofs, and by extension solar panels. TX does as well. If I had put in solar panels, I would have replaced them in 2017 and 2019 (I had roof repair work done in 2018, and complete residing and roof replacement for a 9 year old roof due to that catastrophe). Many people who had solar panels put in by disreputable companies found that their warranty was not enforceable as the company was defunct. Blue Chip Energy is notorious in town for screwed up issues. Instead of having panels mounted, I bought into a solar garden instead through Xcel. It honestly has not worked out given that there is no rate inflation.
There were a bunch of fly-by-night Chinese solar panels where the companies have since folded. You absolutely need to know the supplier of the panels.
Finally, depending on the state, your home insurance may penalize you for roof coverage such that it offsets just buying power. I wonder how many people realize that is a serious hidden tax. Based on policy changes, you need to bring in about $800 or so a year to offset the insurance increase per 2500 square feet in your home.
As far as electric plug in cars, if you bought one prior to 2015 with the state of battery technology, you were an economic loser. Post 2015, the Japanese and Korean companies made good enough batteries that the BEP is near zero. Chinese batteries are still problematic.
If you live rural or have grid access fees, it is actually not economically viable due to REA grid access costs. NV is a guaranteed losing proposition.
Nevada solar industry collapses after state lets power company raise fees
State public utility commission gave only power company permission to charge higher rates and fees to users, shattering industry’s business model
But for the environment, isn't paying a little more worth the smug? It is for me.
I agree with this.
I think people overestimate how expensive solar really is. Instead of looking at a break-even point, think of it from a cash flow perspective. My energy bill went from $180-220/month down to $15-25/month plus then about 100/month for the panels (financed @3.5% - could have paid outright but again I preferred to look at it from cashflow rather than a breakeven point perspective) for a total cost of about $115-125/month. No out-of-pocket costs at all. That is an immediate reduction in monthly expenses by what, at least 60 dollars? Where else can you possibly find that kind of immediate ROI? Add in a 28% tax rebate and I just do not understand why they aren't on every homeowner's roof. Not to mention once they are paid off my energy bill will be negligible. And that includes the fuel costs of my car since it is a plug-in hybrid that I rarely ever put gas into!
Because it is think of how much down and how much a month is a great way to stay middle class on an upper class income. The costs are real. Most people are going to move in the next 5-10 years. Also the odds of them lasting 10 years is questionable. And 10 year old solar panels are going to be worthless.
I’m only investing in solar when my break even is less than 5 years.
I am still paying at least $60 less a month on energy costs. This isn’t a luxury car or something that is just throwing cash away.Because it is think of how much down and how much a month is a great way to stay middle class on an upper class income. The costs are real. Most people are going to move in the next 5-10 years. Also the odds of them lasting 10 years is questionable. And 10 year old solar panels are going to be worthless.
I’m only investing in solar when my break even is less than 5 years.
The costs are real and so are the savings. As long as the savings are greater than the costs that seems like a good purchase to me. I mean I am saving on a monthly bases and once the panels are paid off my energy costs will be close to zero. Amazing.
The panels are warrantied for 20 years so I expect them to last at least that long, although they do lose efficiency over time of course. EDIT: It’s a 25 year warranty.
Good point about moving though. If I move before the break even point and don’t recoup the cost in the selling price of the home it is possible that I will have lost money on the panels. That’s probably the best argument against buying that I have heard. I do wonder how much value (if any) they add to the value of the property.
I think it depends on the neighborhood, and liken it to a pool. If every house has panels, then it probably is a big deal. If not, then probably a nice point that might help, the biggest issue with them adding value is the technology is improving quite quickly.I am still paying at least $60 less a month on energy costs. This isn’t a luxury car or something that is just throwing cash away.
The costs are real and so are the savings. As long as the savings are greater than the costs that seems like a good purchase to me. I mean I am saving on a monthly bases and once the panels are paid off my energy costs will be close to zero. Amazing.
The panels are warrantied for 20 years so I expect them to last at least that long, although they do lose efficiency over time of course. EDIT: It’s a 25 year warranty.
Good point about moving though. If I move before the break even point and don’t recoup the cost in the selling price of the home it is possible that I will have lost money on the panels. That’s probably the best argument against buying that I have heard. I do wonder how much value (if any) they add to the value of the property.
I also could improve your cashflow by investing $30k in an index fund too, which a better rate of return.
How do index’s improve cash flow? And saving $60/month on a $200/month bill is I think a guarantied 30% ROI so that’s actually pretty good. How long do you think it will take for the index to beat 30%?I think it depends on the neighborhood, and liken it to a pool. If every house has panels, then it probably is a big deal. If not, then probably a nice point that might help, the biggest issue with them adding value is the technology is improving quite quickly.
I also could improve your cashflow by investing $30k in an index fund too, which a better rate of return.
If energy costs increase my ROI increases.
What if I put that $60/month into an ETF for the same time period? Would I come out ahead that way? I bet I would.
Assume a 4% withdrawal rate, you get $1200/year. That is $100/month. You take out some taxes. Even if it is equal in terms of cash flow, I’m ahead because I have a highly liquid asset vs. a depreciating asset.How do index’s improve cash flow? And saving $60/month on a $200/month bill is I think a guarantied 30% ROI so that’s actually pretty good. How long do you think it will take for the index to beat 30%?
If energy costs increase my ROI increases.
What if I put that $60/month into an ETF for the same time period? Would I come out ahead that way? I bet I would.
You are correct that high energy costs will increase the ROI, bIt who can tell the future.
I splurged on an ego self loading trimmer ...push a button and that line loads up. Worth every penny!
How do index’s improve cash flow? And saving $60/month on a $200/month bill is I think a guarantied 30% ROI so that’s actually pretty good. How long do you think it will take for the index to beat 30%?
If energy costs increase my ROI increases.
What if I put that $60/month into an ETF for the same time period? Would I come out ahead that way? I bet I would.
I was told my home insurance and property taxes would increase if I got panels. Did yours?
I splurged on an ego self loading trimmer ...push a button and that line loads up. Worth every penny!
Just wait till you get the mower, blower, hedge trimmer, chainsaw etc!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I splurged on an ego self loading trimmer ...push a button and that line loads up. Worth every penny!
I honestly could not comprehend this sentence for a full minute. Thought it was some kind of weird self grooming trend that I hadn't heard of.
No.I was told my home insurance and property taxes would increase if I got panels. Did yours?
I guess if insurance and property tax don't increase and you don't plan on selling before they're paid off then it's worth it. My increase in property tax would easily be more than $60/month I think.
It occurred to me that it is pretty easy to just throw around numbers but that it can be helpful to actually see the receipts. So here are the last 12 months or so of my power bills. Add ~$90/month for the panel payments and that is my total energy costs per month. I also got a fat tax credit on the purchase price of the system. Keep in mind I drive a plug-in hybrid (got a tax credit for that too) and I don't even remember the last time I went to the gas station. I imagine my gas budget is like a few hundred per year for car trips and such, if that.
So people have made good points about recouping the costs involved if you sell your house as well as the added costs involved when your roof needs to be replaced (although some companies do put it in your contract that they will come out and remove them and reinstall them once for a roof replacement) but for anyone who plans on living in one place for years I really do think it is a no-brainer. You can immediately lower your energy costs and get a fat tax credit. Of course, I am sure it depends on what state you are in, how much sun you get, etc etc. I would also recommend going with an established company for the panels and installation as you want companies that are likely to be around if you do need to collect on the warranty.
Anyway, I hope this is interesting/helpful for anyone considering taking the plunge!
So people have made good points about recouping the costs involved if you sell your house as well as the added costs involved when your roof needs to be replaced (although some companies do put it in your contract that they will come out and remove them and reinstall them once for a roof replacement) but for anyone who plans on living in one place for years I really do think it is a no-brainer. You can immediately lower your energy costs and get a fat tax credit. Of course, I am sure it depends on what state you are in, how much sun you get, etc etc. I would also recommend going with an established company for the panels and installation as you want companies that are likely to be around if you do need to collect on the warranty.
Anyway, I hope this is interesting/helpful for anyone considering taking the plunge!
Impossible in my area as the utility company charges a connection fee. So even when they are paying me for energy I still have to pay the ~`13/month.Why is it not 0?
Duke Energy forces that charge, it's something that has been protested to no avail even if you sell enough energy to offset. This is why in some zones, it is absolutely not a good idea to do solar (my area being one that is REA such that I have to buy into a solar garden instead). The other company in the area that I know makes it simply impossible is Georgia Energy, as they need to bail themselves out of that nuclear energy fiasco.Impossible in my area as the utility company charges a connection fee. So even when they are paying me for energy I still have to pay the ~`13/month.
For FL though, you have to be quite daring not to have a wind insurance rider if hurricanes are not covered in the standard policy. Wind policies ordinarily cover solar installation, but I do consider it an additional cost.
If nothing else, even close to breakeven, it's still 'better' for the environment and gives you some off-grid capability should you have a battery and the grid goes down. That utility in of itself is worth paying for even if the ultimate cost formula does not work out. That said, for most people staying around for a decade with decent house insurance with roof coverage and the funds not to finance construction in an area that the utility does not penalize renewable, it is almost a no-brainer, you should get it. Adjust any of those factors, it is a consideration. More than one, it becomes a case-by-case.
In MN, many people do not because of the hail damage exclusions on insurance policies or the utility company being bastards about grid connection fees (I do not as the REA utility company forces solar gardens instead). In AZ, it's a no-brainer even for the least encouraging provider, SRP. In NV, the company makes it impossible from a permitting and a cost-recovery standpoint to build one. I think in most FL places with sufficient hurricane and flood coverage, it should be a no-brainer.
Another factor to consider in terms of the economics of going solar is how much of your energy use does it make sense to offset. A lot of utilities (all?) have tiers where the lowest tier of energy is quite cheap. In those cases it can make sense to only offset your energy use by some percentage, say 80% or whatever the case is for you.
Although even in those cases I would suggest that it might be worth going near or to zero in order to insulate yourself from future price increases. But if you’re a real number cruncher that is something else you can look at as well. Figure out your cost per unit of energy by going solar and then look at what you are paying in each tier from the power company. Reduce to whatever makes the most financial cents. (Get it? I crack myself up.)
Although even in those cases I would suggest that it might be worth going near or to zero in order to insulate yourself from future price increases. But if you’re a real number cruncher that is something else you can look at as well. Figure out your cost per unit of energy by going solar and then look at what you are paying in each tier from the power company. Reduce to whatever makes the most financial cents. (Get it? I crack myself up.)
It occurred to me that it is pretty easy to just throw around numbers but that it can be helpful to actually see the receipts. So here are the last 12 months or so of my power bills. Add ~$90/month for the panel payments and that is my total energy costs per month. I also got a fat tax credit on the purchase price of the system. Keep in mind I drive a plug-in hybrid (got a tax credit for that too) and I don't even remember the last time I went to the gas station. I imagine my gas budget is like a few hundred per year for car trips and such, if that.
So people have made good points about recouping the costs involved if you sell your house as well as the added costs involved when your roof needs to be replaced (although some companies do put it in your contract that they will come out and remove them and reinstall them once for a roof replacement) but for anyone who plans on living in one place for years I really do think it is a no-brainer. You can immediately lower your energy costs and get a fat tax credit. Of course, I am sure it depends on what state you are in, how much sun you get, etc etc. I would also recommend going with an established company for the panels and installation as you want companies that are likely to be around if you do need to collect on the warranty.
Anyway, I hope this is interesting/helpful for anyone considering taking the plunge!
View attachment 340809
For plug in hybrids, do you need to use gas every few months or so? Does the gas go bad if it's in the tank for like a year? What about oil changes?
hmmm currently thinking ideas to cut electricity AC costs for Summer...run window AC unit low (~66F), but only at night & seal the hell out of bedroom. Might be more efficient in terms of cost to undershoot temp at night and have a buffer for daytime (keep AC off) to avoid local temp spikes to begin with.
I got a bed fan and I find I can have the AC much higher at night with it on and still be very comfortable.hmmm currently thinking ideas to cut electricity AC costs for Summer...run window AC unit low (~66F), but only at night & seal the hell out of bedroom. Might be more efficient in terms of cost to undershoot temp at night and have a buffer for daytime (keep AC off) to avoid local temp spikes to begin with.
I’ve wondered about that too and I do not know. I use the gas often enough on car trips that it hasn’t been an issue so far.For plug in hybrids, do you need to use gas every few months or so? Does the gas go bad if it's in the tank for like a year? What about oil changes?
Oil changes for Prius are synthetic every 10,000 miles. Tires should still be rotated every 5,000 (I think).
Let's discuss sleep hygiene. Anyone have any of these fancy Oolers for bed chilling?
For me:
-AC Temp set to 67 + ice cold water in yeti to bring core temp down. I see these Oolers can bring your bed to <60... I'd love that.
-Blackout curtains
-Hepa air filter (mainly for some noise production)
-Scheduled sleep time
For me:
-AC Temp set to 67 + ice cold water in yeti to bring core temp down. I see these Oolers can bring your bed to <60... I'd love that.
-Blackout curtains
-Hepa air filter (mainly for some noise production)
-Scheduled sleep time
Last edited:
Oolers? I've got the same basic set up...seasonal weighted blanket rotations. There's this funky device that filters air around bed/sleeping area (if I recall, it goes underneath the bed)...looked a bit too gimmicky-As seen on TV-ish for my tasteLet's discuss sleep hygiene. Anyone have any of these fancy Oolers for bed chilling?
For me:
-AC Temp set to 67 + ice cold water in yeti to bring core temp down. I see these Oolers can bring your bed to <60... I'd love that.
-Blackout curtains
-Hepa air filter (mainly for some noise production)
-Scheduled sleep time
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oolers? I've got the same basic set up...seasonal weighted blanket rotations. There's this funky device that filters air around bed/sleeping area (if I recall, it goes underneath the bed)...looked a bit too gimmicky-As seen on TV-ish for my taste
Chilipad 2.0 | Water-Based Cooling Mattress Topper
The all-new Chilipad 2.0. Cool or heat your bed between 55°F and 115°F. No subscription. Remote included. 2-year warranty. Free shipping and 30-night sleep trial.
![]()
Chilipad 2.0 | Water-Based Cooling Mattress Topper
The all-new Chilipad 2.0. Cool or heat your bed between 55°F and 115°F. No subscription. Remote included. 2-year warranty. Free shipping and 30-night sleep trial.www.chilisleep.com
This is what I was thinking of
Bump...
Got my hands dirty and falling apart buying and moving into/setting up first home. Surely will have plenty of cool pics
Finishing bathroom today, working on basement home gym, then going over energy efficiency (door and window seals, UV protection-privacy 2 way mirror window films, heating units, airflow, circulation, moisture control, window bedroom AC unit setup). Down the road, I'll make my way outside strategically planting trees for shade.
Mainly looking forward to shed setup, compost heap, and some outdoor décor/sprucing up
Got my work cut out for me vacuuming and decontaminating, disinfecting like hell
Got my hands dirty and falling apart buying and moving into/setting up first home. Surely will have plenty of cool pics
Finishing bathroom today, working on basement home gym, then going over energy efficiency (door and window seals, UV protection-privacy 2 way mirror window films, heating units, airflow, circulation, moisture control, window bedroom AC unit setup). Down the road, I'll make my way outside strategically planting trees for shade.
Mainly looking forward to shed setup, compost heap, and some outdoor décor/sprucing up
Got my work cut out for me vacuuming and decontaminating, disinfecting like hell
Bump...
Got my hands dirty and falling apart buying and moving into/setting up first home. Surely will have plenty of cool pics
Finishing bathroom today, working on basement home gym, then going over energy efficiency (door and window seals, UV protection-privacy 2 way mirror window films, heating units, airflow, circulation, moisture control, window bedroom AC unit setup). Down the road, I'll make my way outside strategically planting trees for shade.
Mainly looking forward to shed setup, compost heap, and some outdoor décor/sprucing up
Got my work cut out for me vacuuming and decontaminating, disinfecting like hell
Jealous of your shed. We barely fit two cars in the garage cause the lawnmower, snowblower, wheel barrel, bikes etc take up so much space. I hear they get invested with mice often in our area though, so maybe I don't want one.
No signs of mice/vermin...still need to go over seals though. Neighbors kitty cats will rid the area clean of little critters; might get my own attack kitty cat for moles, mice, etc.Jealous of your shed. We barely fit two cars in the garage cause the lawnmower, snowblower, wheel barrel, bikes etc take up so much space. I hear they get invested with mice often in our area though, so maybe I don't want one.
So @mentos I doubt your kids can provide you with such adequate pest control security as a cat or even a dog would provide. Let the smack down begin
Similar threads
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 4K
- Question
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K