Home improvement & recent purchases that improved your life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please report back - thanks!!

I bought an Anolon cookware set from Macy's a couple black Fridays ago and it's held up well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Summer Bump*

got tons on the agenda….just did some UV blocking privacy films on windows (strategic, cut down on sunlight…and feel less awkward walking around the house half naked). Already installed window AC unit and insulated the hell out of…going over window seals again (basement mostly…my next fall project will be re-doing insulation)

shed upgrades next…installing organization units and hauling some junk to the dump. Getting into gardening and chemical lawn applications. Thinking about getting some more light fixtures/sensors and re-doing flooring on front porch

Reactions: 1 user
Used my yearly bonus to buy a hot tub. Best purchase ever.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I need to insulate my garage, but I’m just being lazy about it.

LOVING THIS THREAD - so happy I am not the only one!
MANY home improvement projects on the agenda!
Home built 2001, 6800 SF, 6+BR and 8 BA.
Owned 15+years
NEEDS:
Kitchen updated - cabinets + quartz counter tops. All hardwood floors sanded and updated. Update all BA, paint interior, some windows/doors replaced, update a bunch of furniture, landscaping.
JUST BRING HOUSE OUT OF THE 90's.
What accomplished in COVID years.
-2 new 50gallon water heaters
-New Roof
-most pool equipment repaired and updated
-sprinkler system repaired (what a POS)
- 3 new A/C units (A/C and furnace) went from 3 barely working 21yo 10 seer 2.5 and 4 Ton units to 17 seer 4 ton 2-speed Rheem units with NEST thermostats. Replaced them while they were still working - because wife said do it. Estimates from Home Depot, Lowes, and Costco. They all use contractors that are pushy used care sales types, and went with our local guy. Look at budgeting about $30K !
My wife says she loves the A/C units more than me and the kids. Georgia summers are Brutal.
You just have to constantly fix and update. Good, honest contractors are very hard to find. The good ones are too busy, the bad ones are available immediately. They come over, take a look at the house, and give you a ridiculous estimate based on the house value!
Projects Pending - Need some cash!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Owned 15+years
NEEDS:
Kitchen updated - cabinets + quartz counter tops. All hardwood floors sanded and updated. Update all BA, paint interior, some windows/doors replaced, update a bunch of furniture, landscaping.
-New Roof
- 3 new A/C units (A/C and furnace) went from 3 barely working 21yo 10 seer 2.5 and 4 Ton units to 17 seer 4 ton 2-speed Rheem units with NEST thermostats. Replaced them while they were still working - because wife said do it. Estimates from Home Depot, Lowes, and Costco. They all use contractors that are pushy used care sales types, and went with our local guy. Look at budgeting about $30K !
My wife says she loves the A/C units more than me and the kids. Georgia summers are Brutal.
You just have to constantly fix and update. Good, honest contractors are very hard to find. The good ones are too busy, the bad ones are available immediately. They come over, take a look at the house, and give you a ridiculous estimate based on the house value!

6800SF omg. I would get lost in there.

Reactions: 3 users
Used my yearly bonus to buy a hot tub. Best purchase ever.

Got one last this past winter. Awesome purchase. Wish we had gotten it sooner.

I need to insulate my garage, but I’m just being lazy about it.

I keep reading that these are only I ho-hum. Been on the bottom of my to do list for a long time. Wife keeps thinking they will help.

Owned 15+years
NEEDS:
-New Roof
I can’t even imagine cleaning/maintaining EIGHT bathrooms, let alone updating/renovating that many!! Good luck!!

Owned 15+years
NEEDS:
-New Roof
Tell me you are renting/leasing…as opposed to having like a dozen offspring

Tell me you are renting/leasing…as opposed to having like a dozen offspring
We are renting out every bedroom to a family of immigrants! Helping the less fortunate!
Hey, I can make that joke, I am an immigrant!
I have 10 kids - all of them working to make the mortgage payments.
NO. Can barely afford the 3 I have!
Sorry, just a wife and 3 kids. Two of them grown up and gone. Just the 3 of us now!

We are renting out every bedroom to a family of immigrants! Helping the less fortunate!
Hey, I can make that joke, I am an immigrant!
I have 10 kids - all of them working to make the mortgage payments.
NO. Can barely afford the 3 I have!
Sorry, just a wife and 3 kids. Two of them grown up and gone. Just the 3 of us now!

So when you are looking for one kid, do you have to call them on their cell phone or is there an intercom system or something? Hide and go seek must take hours!

• Haha
6800SF omg. I would get lost in there.

Forreal, I thought my house was big (~4200 sq ft). My friend had a 7000 sq ft house growing up and we played hide and seek in it, it took so long, person hiding fell asleep in like this elevated closet that was more like a studio apartment between floors, lol.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Forreal, I thought my house was big (~4200 sq ft). My friend had a 7000 sq ft house growing up and we played hide and seek in it, it took so long, person hiding fell asleep in like this elevated closet that was more like a studio apartment between floors, lol.

4200SF is big. My house is like 2k SF and feels big.

4200SF is big. My house is like 2k SF and feels big.

My house is weird, it’s 5bd + open loft/4.5ba, but it’s literally like 2x 2000 sq ft single story homes pancaked on top of each other.

Open floor plan downstairs, but not really an “entertainer’s house” (which is fine, we don’t host).

My home growing up was about 2000 sq ft with cathedral ceilings and a large formal living/dining area, and it felt WAY bigger than my current home, but growing up we had tiny rooms and the kitchen was barely big enough for two people.

My current home’s bedrooms are generous (we built out two master suites), but common areas are just normal. Kitchen is the exception, but 80% of our time is spent there it seems (guests included).

Doesn’t feel big. Maybe I just have too much junk. I should probably spend the summer decluttering.

I grew up in a 1700 sq ft house with a family of five, and I always thought we had this nice big house. Now I am in a 2200 sf townhome, and it is perfect size for the three of us. I would hate to upkeep a bigger house. The only exception is that our friends have this awesome entertaining basement with three TV's set up for watching sports and a full bar. That I am jealous of.

I love planting, I have 110 plants on my terrace.

• Wow
So we are getting ready to remodel the 2nd floor bathroom. We always do the demo to save money. First my wife wanted to buy a very expensive mirror. So we went to measure the space to see if it would fit. Then we started to pull up the wall paper and see what was under it. Then we decided to take the doors off of the built in medicine cabinet and take the 1950's tiles off. I guess it's true if you give a mouse a cookie....

Attachments

• NB1.jpg
    NB1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 81
  • NB2.jpg
    NB2.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 74
  • NB3.jpg
    NB3.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 76
  • NB4.jpg
    NB4.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 72
So we are getting ready to remodel the 2nd floor bathroom. We always do the demo to save money. First my wife wanted to buy a very expensive mirror. So we went to measure the space to see if it would fit. Then we started to pull up the wall paper and see what was under it. Then we decided to take the doors off of the built in medicine cabinet and take the 1950's tiles off. I guess it's true if you give a mouse a cookie....
I love that tub! Is it staying or being replaced during the remodel?

Just got a pool off amazon... will report back with details if I flood my yard or get a great tan :cool:

Guess I'm in the minority but I found a hot tub to be a burden. It was a pain to add chemicals each week and drain it 4 times a year or more. One time I refilled it and a girl with spray tan went in and there was a huge layer of scum. So I had to drain it, refill it, and start the whole shock process over again. One time some kids came over and used it as a swimming pool, filling it with dirt and grass. Same process all over again.

Reactions: 2 users
Another DIY project I’ve got in the works…preference to do it myself for the sake of experience/rewarding adding to the laundry list of random skills.
I would not reccomend this as a DIY project, The chemicals are caustic and not amenable to breathing...

Guess I'm in the minority but I found a hot tub to be a burden. It was a pain to add chemicals each week and drain it 4 times a year or more. One time I refilled it and a girl with spray tan went in and there was a huge layer of scum. So I had to drain it, refill it, and start the whole shock process over again. One time some kids came over and used it as a swimming pool, filling it with dirt and grass. Same process all over again.
I do find the hot tub chemicals to a bit more challenging than my pool. When we use it regular, not so much. I just toss som chlorine in it after we use it. Check it once a week to adjust pH. Clean filter once a month.

Now consider my pool is basically adjust run time/chlorination once a week, and add a half bottle of muriatic acid once a month or so. Add water more often than most due to our pool cover leaves a fairly narrow pool level window.

I do find the hot tub chemicals to a bit more challenging than my pool. When we use it regular, not so much. I just toss som chlorine in it after we use it. Check it once a week to adjust pH. Clean filter once a month.

Now consider my pool is basically adjust run time/chlorination once a week, and add a half bottle of muriatic acid once a month or so. Add water more often than most due to our pool cover leaves a fairly narrow pool level window.

I used the hot tub a few times a week when we first got it, but after that I only used it once a month maybe. So it became more of a chore for something I hardly used.

I used the hot tub a few times a week when we first got it, but after that I only used it once a month maybe. So it became more of a chore for something I hardly used.
I'm a huge fan of my hot tub maintenance schedule: Find a couple friends who have one and go use theirs

I'm a huge fan of my hot tub maintenance schedule: Find a couple friends who have one and go use theirs

Yup I love not owning a hot tub, swimming pool, boat etc. It's much better to use your friend's LoL.

As a pool owner for the last 15 years, I can tell you it ain't that simple! You have chlorination (now salinity levels), you have salt levels, you have alkalinity, you have pH, and calcium hardness. Don't forget Flocculant Agents. it's cont. Robotic vacuum action since organic matter cannot remain at the bottom of the pool! It's like one big chemistry experiment. If one thing is off, everything gets off !
I have a Hot Tub / Pool Combo. Hot tub waterfalls into the heated pebble tek pool. I used to test the water weekly at the pool store, then get sold a ton of chemicals, it was hit or miss, and then go back again. What a DIY nightmare. Now I hired a professional, comes over once a week, vacuums the pool, balances all the chemicals and fixes all the equipment.

Last edited:
Just got a pool off amazon... will report back with details if I flood my yard or get a great tan :cool:

Did not completely level out the yard but it's within a couple inches, zero issues so far. Put some pavers down under the lower side. Pool has been amazing to come home to... a good 30-45 min swim after work to wind down.

1655727933489.jpeg

Latest kitchen gadget/Tom foolery…saving a bunch by making my own cold brew coffee with a system of giant mason jars, coffee socks, French press. Only bust out the nitrogen for special occasions, making coffee for friends, etc.

more satisfying than buying store made cold brew (never got in the habit of being one of those daily Starbucks or Dunkin’ users…like 5$ everyday for days on end really adds up)

View attachment 356401
Latest kitchen gadget/Tom foolery…saving a bunch by making my own cold brew coffee with a system of giant mason jars, coffee socks, French press. Only bust out the nitrogen for special occasions, making coffee for friends, etc.

more satisfying than buying store made cold brew (never got in the habit of being one of those daily Starbucks or Dunkin’ users…like 5$ everyday for days on end really adds up)

That's interesting. Link to purchase/read more? Love a good cold brew in the summer.

View attachment 356401

Looks cool. . . But I think I would rather have a regular keg system.

• Haha
For anyone who got solar panels, do you really get a big fat check after you do your taxes for 10k or so? I'm getting solar quotes and it costs around 43k for a 11kwh system. Seems expensive.

For anyone who got solar panels, do you really get a big fat check after you do your taxes for 10k or so? I'm getting solar quotes and it costs around 43k for a 11kwh system. Seems expensive.
Yes. 26% of the cost of the system if memory serves. Honestly I think solar is a total no brainer if you plan to live at your home for at least 5 years. Energy costs are only going to go up over time.

43k does seem pricy to me. I would get some more quotes personally.

Yes. 26% of the cost of the system if memory serves. Honestly I think solar is a total no brainer if you plan to live at your home for at least 5 years. Energy costs are only going to go up over time.

Everything got jacked up since Covid. A Tesla power wall used to be 10k, now it's 15k.

Everything got jacked up since Covid. A Tesla power wall used to be 10k, now it's 15k.
Do whatever you want but personally I didn’t go for the battery. It’s so expensive - you can stay at a five star hotel during every power outage for the rest of your life for less money, probably.

But yes everything is more expensive, which is why I am glad I locked in my energy rates when I did. :)

I spent about that on our system. Took 2 years to claim the whole tax credit and the state kicked in another quarter-ish. About $20k after credits. Power is pretty expensive out here. I’d say it paid for itself in 4 or 5 years, except we probably just would have suffered without a/c most of the time instead of paying $400 a month for electricity if we hadn’t done the panels. I haven’t been able to make the math work on batteries yet. Depends what you power company will buy your oversupply for, I guess.

Without solar panels, I’ve made some huge cuts in monthly energy bill using good old fashion ingenuity (power strips, weather stripping/insulation, UV blocking panels, shades, slightly lowering fridge/freezer temps, using hot water sparingly, & simply unplugging stuff). Last bill was only like $94

kind of surprised my bill is still low despite sleeping with an AC on (luxury?…because sleep is high priority). Bedroom is like 68 F during sleep, rest of house is toasty at like 75-80F (planned bedroom location strategically in accordance with cardinal directions/orientation of sunrise/sunset because I’m a nerd)

Cant wait for early fall to re-do basement insulation and see how successful I’ll be cutting gas expenses here up North - biggest area for improvement for controlling expenses. This is some fun adulting stuff I enjoy

Last edited:
I installed a 180w solar panel and solar generator (ecoflow delta mini) in my shed, makes charging my lawn tools really nice and added a light without having to dig a trench. Will also work as a limited backup power source in case (though our lines are underground so luckily have never had a power outage in 12 years of owning).

Last year we looked at a whole house generator, and it was ungodly expensive, and we went through the snow-pocalypse without significant incident. Might want to consider something to cover the AC.

I’d really like panels with battery. . . But i keep thinking the prices will get better.

Last year we looked at a whole house generator, and it was ungodly expensive, and we went through the snow-pocalypse without significant incident. Might want to consider something to cover the AC.

I’d really like panels with battery. . . But i keep thinking the prices will get better.

I thought that too but the prices get jacked up every year. The federal tax credit is 26% for 2022, 22% for 2023 then nothing after that. Tesla power walls used to cost 10k before Covid, now they are 15k.

For comparison, Tesla model 3 used to be 37k with 7.5k tax credit. Now it's 47k with no tax credit and no one cares.

So I've been shopping around for quotes here in TX. Averaging at $30k for a 11-12kw system, prior to the rebate, about $22k ish after. My monthly bill averaged over the last 13 months is $180, making my yearly electric cost $2160. Based on these figures, my 'break even' point would be around 11 years time.

I have no intentions of moving, but still not sure if that's worth it...Also heard installing solar panels increases the resale value of your house, by about $40k. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

If it's not worth it, I'm probably going to throw this amount at my mortgage to pay it down by 50%, and get a generac natural gas generator instead.

So I've been shopping around for quotes here in TX. Averaging at $30k for a 11-12kw system, prior to the rebate, about $22k ish after. My monthly bill averaged over the last 13 months is $180, making my yearly electric cost $2160. Based on these figures, my 'break even' point would be around 11 years time.

I have no intentions of moving, but still not sure if that's worth it...Also heard installing solar panels increases the resale value of your house, by about $40k. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

If it's not worth it, I'm probably going to throw this amount at my mortgage to pay it down by 50%, and get a generac natural gas generator instead.
I looked at generators but they didn’t make any sense to me from a cost perspective so I don’t have much to say about that.

Your break even point seems to assume that energy prices will not raise in the next decade, which to me seems like quite the bold bet.

Instead of looking at a break even point, why not look at it from a cash flow perspective? My monthly expenses went down after getting the panels because even with financing the monthly payments are less than what I was paying before. That kind of deal might not be available anymore though, I couldn’t say.

I doubt the resale value will be greater than your cost but I imagine that like any home improvement expense you should be able to recoup at least some of it in resale value.

That's a good price. In my area it costs around 43k for similar sized system from a reputable company. A year ago it was in the mid 30k range, keeps getting jacked up. Smaller companies I've never heard of offer it for less, but I'm not confident they'll be around for a long time. Many companies come and go. Our electric bill is also similar to yours, but a year ago it was closer to 125/mo. Our electric use hasn't increased, only the price has. I imagine it will keep increasing over time just like everything else, especially if electric vehicles become more popular. We are also careful to turn off lights and AC when we don't use it. If the panels cover our whole bill then we can be less careless about leaving things on.

Do you have an EV or plan to get one? If you can get free charging from your panels then that's huge. I am also thinking of the future. We don't need a system that big now, but when our kids are teenagers, our electric use will definitely go up. They will be driving as well so we may potentially have 4 EVs charging all week.

I doubt it will have any effect on resale. It's not a concern because this is our forever home. In ten years, the system will be old technology anyway.

Last edited:
Just got my latest electric bill and it's $87 higher than my previous highest bill. My break even point for solar will probably come faster than anticipated.

• Wow