Home improvement & recent purchases that improved your life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
His target audience is the average Joe who doesn't want to deal with repairs and maintenance.

That's why I lease.

I pick a car with good performance and a lease payment and return it before things start breaking.

Right now, I'm in a 2021 Accord 2.0T. This thing hauls ass. Only reason I'm thinking about not keeping it afterwards if I make the jump to Tesla and because I've been abusing the **** out of this car.

Members don't see this ad.

Or a 2002 Lexus.

Can't stand him. He is biased towards reliability instead of performance when it comes to recommending cars.
@Sparda29 - the type of RPh who chooses the hot shot, balls to the wall tech who can outperform anyone but shows up only when he/she feels like it (~50% or so) vs the slow and steady tech who shows up 90+% of his/her shifts. Different strokes for different folks

Metal roofs are not recommended in earthquake prone areas. You got the right quality one.

Ah well that explains why I never see them…I thought I was just oblivious to a viable roofing option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah well that explains why I never see them…I thought I was just oblivious to a viable roofing option.

Yeah, unfortunately, CA doesn't permit stainless steel or copper roofs, which ironically tolerate earthquakes far better (you see them in South America and on nontraditional buildings in the Asian side of the Pacific Rim) due to bogus fire control issues that have not been a problem since the 1970s. It's related to how Westinghouse used to wire homes as with a conducting roof, it becomes a treetop fire if you energize the roof accidentally. This is not possible with current electrical safety construction standards these days.

@Sparda29 - the type of RPh who chooses the hot shot, balls to the wall tech who can outperform anyone but shows up only when he/she feels like it (~50% or so) vs the slow and steady tech who shows up 90+% of his/her shifts. Different strokes for different folks

That tech got fired lol. How do you call out 4 times and show up late 8 times during your probation period?

The Honda Accord 2.0 is pretty reliable. My point is that there are reliable fast cars out there that are very affordable. Honda made a very nice leap forward with this engine.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

If you ever visit the east coast, they are common in newer commercial buildings, outdoor shopping malls, schools, etc. I think the trend for private homes is recent. Some colonials have a traditional asphalt roof but metal awnings which I think looks weird. All metal roofs on contemporary homes look cool.

Been reading how QLEDs aren't worth it and to go for OLED... you guys say the opposite?
I researched this and got QLED, samsungs QN90A...wish I had gone OLED. Oled picture is definitely better and burn in risk is negligible with current models. Unless you are planning to set it in a very bright room go OLED is my advice, you'll always question the picture quality. My 9 year old Samsung can hang with the new top of the line QN90A in terms of picture quality, I would have expected fairly big strides would have been made in that span.

All metal roofs on contemporary homes look cool.
I think it’s one of those things where it looks weird the first time you see it but it quickly becomes normal.

I mean normal roofs don’t really look “good” in any meaningful way, do they?

Reactions: 2 users
That's why I lease.

I pick a car with good performance and a lease payment and return it before things start breaking.

Right now, I'm in a 2021 Accord 2.0T. This thing hauls ass. Only reason I'm thinking about not keeping it afterwards if I make the jump to Tesla and because I've been abusing the **** out of this car.
Modern Toyotas/Hondas should easily last 100k and I would even bet 200k miles without things breaking. Even American cars last long enough that leasing due to being able to return it before things start breaking does not make much sense to me. Surely any car dealer has just as much, if not more, information on reliability of cars than you do, and has the ability to price the depreciation into the lease.

Modern Toyotas/Hondas should easily last 100k and I would even bet 200k miles without things breaking. Even American cars last long enough that leasing due to being able to return it before things start breaking does not make much sense to me. Surely any car dealer has just as much, if not more, information on reliability of cars than you do, and has the ability to price the depreciation into the lease.

Yep they last for many years. My Accord has 182k miles, still going strong. My coworker has 250k on her Accord. My sister has over 200k on Corolla. There are still 80s and 90s Toyotas and Hondas on the road.

The problem is that the warranties often end around 30-60k miles. The repairs end up coming out of pocket.

The problem is that the warranties often end around 30-60k miles. The repairs end up coming out of pocket.

What repairs? In 12 years my Accord needed an alternator, wheel bearing... I think that's it. The rest is just wear n tear - tires, brakes, wipers, battery.

German/American cars break down after 5 years though.

Reactions: 3 users
That tech got fired lol. How do you call out 4 times and show up late 8 times during your probation period?

The Honda Accord 2.0 is pretty reliable. My point is that there are reliable fast cars out there that are very affordable. Honda made a very nice leap forward with this engine.
wait for the Acura integra 2023

Members don't see this ad :)
wait for the Acura integra 2023

Wow they're bringing it back? I can't imagine it being successful since it didn't survive the 2000s and the RSX didn't survive a few years after that. No one drives manual anymore and everyone wants a big SUV or EV now.

I had a '96 Integra 5 speed, one of my favorite cars. It was so easy to throw my road bike in the back.

Wow they're bringing it back? I can't imagine it being successful since it didn't survive the 2000s and the RSX didn't survive a few years after that. No one drives manual anymore and everyone wants a big SUV or EV now.

I had a '96 Integra 5 speed, one of my favorite cars. It was so easy to throw my road bike in the back.

Miss having my manual. Maybe in the future I'll get a toy that is manual.... STI or Integra would be fun.

A robotic vacuum (Roomba) has been a game changer.
Meh, roombas and such sound good on paper/in theory. I donated mine after being sorely disappointed with lack luster performance and other BS one typically doesn't think about (technology/design oversight). Stuff like having large open floors to begin with/layout has to be ideal, cluster F of objects one can't have on the floor (wires, cords, shoes/shoelaces, etc.). Overall, just a half-assed performance....could do far better in less time with a decent vacuum.

Current favorite vacuum:
301070987-ridgid-10-gallon-6-0-php-ss-wet-dry-vac-pod-4-9-2019.jpg

This thing just eats about anything you throw at it with ease...wood shavings, glass, metal shards, leaves/debris, gravel/stone

Last edited:
I am in the middle for robot vacuums. Yeah, they aren’t perfect but as something to just help keep the floors looking ok I think they do good enough. Certainly no replacement for a deep clean but for people that hate cleaning not bad.

Had a Roomba but it got stuck in a rug once, never used it after that. I use the Dyson stick vacuum often now.

This makes me hesitant to buy the lawnmower version of a Roomba.

Had a Roomba but it got stuck in a rug once, never used it after that. I use the Dyson stick vacuum often now.

Yeah, I do like dyson...caveat being the batteries though...ok, and the price.

My current portable vacuum:
oranges-peaches-ridgid-wet-dry-vacuums-wd0319-64_1000-600x600.jpg

Like come on Rigid....how can you not have a stick vacuum designed vacuum yet? I'd totally pick one up once they come out with one...other tool brands with stick vacuum models just don't impress me/just riddled with design flaws, bad ergonomics, too bulky, etc.

Like come on Rigid....how can you not have a stick vacuum designed vacuum yet? I'd totally pick one up once they come out with one...other tool brands with stick vacuum models just don't impress me/just riddled with design flaws, bad ergonomics, too bulky, etc.

Agreed, the Dyson battery is crap. I wish the Ryobi stick vacuum was as good, they have good batteries.

Meh, roombas and such sound good on paper/in theory. I donated mine after being sorely disappointed with lack luster performance and other BS one typically doesn't think about (technology/design oversight). Stuff like having large open floors to begin with/layout has to be ideal, cluster F of objects one can't have on the floor (wires, cords, shoes/shoelaces, etc.). Overall, just a half-assed performance....could do far better in less time with a decent vacuum.

Current favorite vacuum:
301070987-ridgid-10-gallon-6-0-php-ss-wet-dry-vac-pod-4-9-2019.jpg

This thing just eats about anything you throw at it with ease...wood shavings, glass, metal shards, leaves/debris, gravel/stone
I do have an large open floor space that is not carpeted. And I have a yellow lab. I love being able to schedule an hour or two of vacuuming daily to keep ahead of the dog hair. I still have to manually vacuum on occasion, but much less often.

Anyone have a jetted tub? Is it worth it? We're redoing a bathroom.

We used to have a hot tub but never used it. I found it to be a chore to balance the chemicals each week and drain/fill every couple months. A jetted tub seems maintenance free in comparison.

Anyone have a jetted tub? Is it worth it? We're redoing a bathroom.

We used to have a hot tub but never used it. I found it to be a chore to balance the chemicals each week and drain/fill every couple months. A jetted tub seems maintenance free in comparison.
My sister LOVES them. I have one in my house that I literally have never used.

I am not sure if I already mentioned this (my apologies if I have) but the last several purchases that I have made that I feel like made a positive impact in my life were all kitchen-related. Sharper knives, better non-stick pots and pans, an electric chopper, garlic press, just a bunch of stuff I had never used to make cooking way easier.

Considering Black Friday isn’t THAT far away, what should I keep an eye out for in the kitchen? Anyone have any must-own kitchen tools that aren’t as obvious as say the refrigerator?

I am not sure if I already mentioned this (my apologies if I have) but the last several purchases that I have made that I feel like made a positive impact in my life were all kitchen-related. Sharper knives, better non-stick pots and pans, an electric chopper, garlic press, just a bunch of stuff I had never used to make cooking way easier.

Considering Black Friday isn’t THAT far away, what should I keep an eye out for in the kitchen? Anyone have any must-own kitchen tools that aren’t as obvious as say the refrigerator?

We got a Vitamix on sale at Costco a few months ago that we use at least once a week. At first we were using it everyday. I think it was around $200-300, not the high end one. It blends everything we throw at it.

I bought a set of gold colored silverware last year and everyone thought it was cool. It's starting to fade though.

We also have a separate beverage fridge. Not a small dorm style fridge, but an actual beverage fridge made to hold like 100 soda cans. It frees up a lot of space in the big fridge and great for get togethers. We throw out kid's juice boxes and extra milk in there.

Edit: we also got rechargable motion detector under cabinet lights. Makes going to the kitchen at night easy and I feel like I'm James Bond when I walk to the counter.

Well, not necessarily a purchase but rather skillset gained from all this DIY'ing know how and experience....I am able to customize furniture and various objects with my arsenal of tools...for instance, built a custom cart with wheels for organization for my basement. Fun new skill of just picking up some raw building materials & seeing what I can come up with to adapt to various environments. Getting more into metal work specifically lately...cutting, drilling, & eventually welding. Safety first

I’ve been happy with my Miele canister vacuum.

I have like 4-5 cheapo corded dirt devil stick vacuums around the house…I use that for larger debris so I don’t waste the HEPA bags on my Miele on that crap.

Bought this cheapo Amazon-based brand (MOOSOO) cordless vacuum with rotating bristles to handle the stairs.

Now that I think about it, I kind of do have a lot of vacuums around the house (2 portables handhelds for the car and a shop vac also).

I’ve been happy with my Miele canister vacuum.

I have like 4-5 cheapo corded dirt devil stick vacuums around the house…I use that for larger debris so I don’t waste the HEPA bags on my Miele on that crap.

Bought this cheapo Amazon-based brand (MOOSOO) cordless vacuum with rotating bristles to handle the stairs.

Now that I think about it, I kind of do have a lot of vacuums around the house (2 portables handhelds for the car and a shop vac also).

My sister has a Moosoo, I'm sure it works almost as well as a Dyson. Replacement batteries can be hard to find, so order them if you see them in stock.

Bought an Apple Air tag for my keys. Used it twice already!

How are the battery life and suction on that bad boy?

This looks like the perfect vacuum for my needs.

I am not sure if I already mentioned this (my apologies if I have) but the last several purchases that I have made that I feel like made a positive impact in my life were all kitchen-related. Sharper knives, better non-stick pots and pans, an electric chopper, garlic press, just a bunch of stuff I had never used to make cooking way

Recommendations for non-stick pans? Brand and/or type? I’ve had really bad luck with “non-stick” - usually stops working after 2-3 uses, even following all the recommendations.

Ninja air fryer has been amazing so far....let me find the one I got...
81wie-UxCfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Ninja blender is pretty sleek, small, powerful....and my favorite....easy to clean and convenient smoothie containers

How are the battery life and suction on that bad boy?

This looks like the perfect vacuum for my needs.
I get a good 15 minutes run time using a pretty standard 4amp 18V battery. Mostly auto detailing and home DIY projects. Good enough suction....not going to compete with corded options, suction is less than a dyson though...can't recall the specs CFM off the top of my head

Reactions: 1 users
Recommendations for non-stick pans? Brand and/or type? I’ve had really bad luck with “non-stick” - usually stops working after 2-3 uses, even following all the recommendations.

I had good luck with a pan I bought on Black Friday last year from Macy’s. Sorry, I don’t recall the brand. I have been debating trying some higher-priced brands but I want to know if they are actually worth the price before I make the plunge.

I had good luck with a pan I bought on Black Friday last year from Macy’s. Sorry, I don’t recall the brand. I have been debating trying some higher-priced brands but I want to know if they are actually worth the price before I make the plunge.
I've had good luck with my blue diamond frying pans...I'm into cooking without oil...so far so good. Only minor scratching with heavy cleaning, but that's to be expected

Granite frying pan has some rave reviews too....I like me some budget, decent as seen on TV gimmicky cook ware

Don't get me started on that jack of all trades pan that's like $150+!!@#!#!@!#!@###!!!! No thanks

I've had good luck with my blue diamond frying pans...I'm into cooking without oil...so far so good. Only minor scratching with heavy cleaning, but that's to be expected

Granite frying pan has some rave reviews too....I like me some budget, decent as seen on TV gimmicky cook ware

Don't get me started on that jack of all trades pan that's like $150+!!@#!#!@!#!@###!!!! No thanks
I was wondering how that blue diamond pan was… I was already burned once by gimmicky cookware - I went with the Gotham Steel Copper pan. Total let down after 3 uses. I even use non-stick spray and stuff still sticks!!

After using the hell out of mine 2 years now...copper pan in back (haven't used too much). Maybe you're being to aggressive on burner settings?
Ok, don't judge me but I sometimes cut food with a knife in the pan....I know it's not recommended, nor do I have OCD chef standards to uphold

Attachments

• WIN_20211021_19_28_33_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20211021_19_28_33_Pro.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 74
All nonstick pans tend to fail sooner rather than later. I personally just get something fairly dependable and budget friendly like a T-Fal and replace it as the coating deteriorates. Spend your saved money on a nice carbon steel pan, Dutch oven, or some other kitchen item that's more worth while.

Ok, don't judge me but I sometimes cut food with a knife in the pan....I know it's not recommended, nor do I have OCD chef standards to uphold
You monster!

I know someone that won’t even use metal utensils in their pans to prevent scratching. I am not quite so precious with mine, although I don’t use a knife on the pan.

• Haha
I know someone that won’t even use metal utensils in their pans to prevent scratching.
The only acceptable way to treat nonstick cookware.

Do any of y'all have concerns about health effects from nonstick pans though? I know supposedly they're fine if you don't overheat them but I don't know.

After using the hell out of mine 2 years now...copper pan in back (haven't used too much). Maybe you're being to aggressive on burner settings?
Not sure? I use rubber spatulas, never cook above medium-high heat, and I don’t use abrasive cleaning tools, so I’m not sure what I could be doing wrong?

I previously had a non-stick pan that lasted 10 years (2005-2015) with daily use before the coating finally wore off and it stopped working.

Since then I’ve gone through about 6 and they all suck. I just assumed it was another example of them “not making them like they used to”.

• Hmm
Not sure? I use rubber spatulas, never cook above medium-high heat, and I don’t use abrasive cleaning tools, so I’m not sure what I could be doing wrong?

I previously had a non-stick pan that lasted 10 years (2005-2015) with daily use before the coating finally wore off and it stopped working.

Since then I’ve gone through about 6 and they all suck. I just assumed it was another example of them “not making them like they used to”.
Hmmm...only other possibility could be stove needing a deep clean (residuals could be burning)....I know it's a total PIA and partly why I moved away from stovetop burners (too messy) and stick with an air fryer or conventional oven (waay easier to clean and maintain)

Bump, just been up to some basic DIY, improving layouts/organization, installing floating shelves & finishing work shop (oh so fun, time consuming but satisfying AF).

Next project will be resurfacing bathtub and sinks & some winter prep for auto (undercarriage work, weatherproofing maintenance, etc.)

I’ve owned a Roborock S4 for a while now. My wife is a big fan. Nice to wake to the kitchen not having crumbs to walk on. . . . Really nice with a 4 and 6 yo. The Roomba’s do better at carpet, but I have so little. I like the LDAR so much better than our experience with VSLAM.

We have an older Dyson stick that is perfectly acceptable for what we use it for. We did have to replace the battery, but it wasn’t too expensive. I do admit to spending too much time on Vacuum Wars YouTube videos.

• Haha
Saw an ad for a Suvie smart cooking machine.

Has anyone tried this or similar? Looks convenient.

Im in the same boat.

Tfal = Junk
Rachel Ray = Junk
Fiberware = Junk
QVC brand = junk

and that is the past 3 years

Trying Ninja cookware now ...see if it makes it a year

Im in the same boat.

Tfal = Junk
Rachel Ray = Junk
Fiberware = Junk