This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeafterundergrad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a Senior graduating a year early and I did not do so well during undergrad. I am looking for a post bac program that has a bridge program to a medical school either DO or MD. Mainly a program that will enhance my GPA and possible has an MCAT prep course in the program. My overall goal is to become an OBGYN so I am not completely focused on a research institution.
If anyone can please list any Post Bac or MS programs that have these criterias that would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

I have around a 3.2 cumulative GPA and a 2.9 science. According to my university. I am waiting on access to my other schools to recalculate my GPA mainly because I took a lot of class over each other and didn't master time management skills yet. I am better at that now but those 4 C and C+ dropped my GPA

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that GPA is pretty low for MD schools, even with a solid post bac. Rather than a full post bac you could probably save some $$ by aiming for DO schools and retaking one full semester of all your bad grades and acing them. That coupled with a good MCAT score should give you a decent shot at D.O. programs. Last I saw someone post, the avg matriculant MD gpa was around 3.8, so even if you ace your post bac your GPA is not likely to be competitive for MD. Throw 5 hard science courses that you need for retakes into a single semester and ace them all; if you can't, you need to reevaluate how much you have truly improved because if you can't ace 5 premed courses in a semester it is unlikely you have actually attained the level of study skills necessary for medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

Hi,

I am a Senior graduating a year early and I did not do so well during undergrad. I am looking for a post bac program that has a bridge program to a medical school either DO or MD. Mainly a program that will enhance my GPA and possible has an MCAT prep course in the program. My overall goal is to become an OBGYN so I am not completely focused on a research institution.
If anyone can please list any Post Bac or MS programs that have these criterias that would be great.

Reactions: 1 user
What is a good way to study for the MCAT my sister and I have studied with the Kaplan MCAT prep books and their online study materials. She got 493. Should I spend the money and take the course instead. Basically what tips should I use to prepare and ace the MCAT?