Honesty Hour...What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfer4life1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Major: Exercise Science (Chemistry Minor)
Cum. GPA: 3.82
Prereq. GPA: Around 3.75 or a bit higher
GRE: V:155 (65%) Q:157 (71%) AW:4.0
Observation Hours: 120 in 3 different settings by the end of this semester, adding more during the next semester as well.

Extra Curricular: Member of Golf Team(4 years), Treasurer for a campus group(2 years), Peer tutoring in Statistics and Chemistry(1 year)

Volunteer work: nothing repetitive. Not even enough to list (5 hours a semester?)

Here's my situation: I have one school that I really want to go to (Bradley, in IL). I will be applying to Indiana U. and University of Indianapolis as back ups, plus maybe another one or two. I don't have $700 to throw at a dozen applications. Am I crazy to only apply to 5 or less schools? I'm not applying to any top 20 schools.

What do you think my chances are? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Major: Exercise Science (Chemistry Minor)
Cum. GPA: 3.82
Prereq. GPA: Around 3.75 or a bit higher
GRE: V:155 (65%) Q:157 (71%) AW:4.0
Observation Hours: 120 in 3 different settings by the end of this semester, adding more during the next semester as well.

Extra Curricular: Member of Golf Team(4 years), Treasurer for a campus group(2 years), Peer tutoring in Statistics and Chemistry(1 year)

Volunteer work: nothing repetitive. Not even enough to list (5 hours a semester?)

Here's my situation: I have one school that I really want to go to (Bradley, in IL). I will be applying to Indiana U. and University of Indianapolis as back ups, plus maybe another one or two. I don't have $700 to throw at a dozen applications. Am I crazy to only apply to 5 or less schools? I'm not applying to any top 20 schools.

...really?

You remind me of students who worry about their grade on a test and end up earning an A. Yes, your chances are excellent. Keep volunteering and working until school starts. If you have free time, review your anatomy and physiology.

Kevin

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll get in. I only applied to two schools. I thought I was crazy, but got into both.

it's kind of pathetic how people just want to hear others tell them how awesome they are #honestyhour

it's kind of pathetic how people just want to hear others tell them how awesome they are #honestyhour

I was actually honestly concerned. My advisor and professors told me that I should have a 3.9 GPA to count on getting into my schools, so I was worried. Plus, my GREs weren't even above the 75%.

I know my GPAs are pretty high, but I don't have many extra curriculars, volunteer work, or observation hours. Plus, I haven't taken the standard Cell Biology classes, which also worries me. I also have a C+ in Biochemistry (even though it was an 85%) and a B in Organic Chem. Also, I go to a small Christian college. It's almost a joke.

I wasn't fishing for compliments. I was just hoping for feedback so I can avoid any future panicing.

I was actually honestly concerned. My advisor and professors told me that I should have a 3.9 GPA to count on getting into my schools, so I was worried. Plus, my GREs weren't even above the 75%.

I know my GPAs are pretty high, but I don't have many extra curriculars, volunteer work, or observation hours. Plus, I haven't taken the standard Cell Biology classes, which also worries me. I also have a C+ in Biochemistry (even though it was an 85%) and a B in Organic Chem. Also, I go to a small Christian college. It's almost a joke.

I wasn't fishing for compliments. I was just hoping for feedback so I can avoid any future panicing.

I think people's reactions to your post tell you what kind of chance you have :)
My stats are similar to yours and I'm only applying to three schools. Even with a relatively good GPA, it feels scary applying to so few schools, because schools look at more than just the numbers when considering admissions. Make sure your essays are great and that you are well prepared for the interviews, and you will likely get multiple offers of admission. :thumbup:

What's wrong with not having a GRE above 75%? Your GRE is already above average! Also not sure why you are concerned about cell biology and having a C+ in Biochemistry and a B in Ochem when little to no pt programs even require these classes as prerequisites, and your grades in those classes clearly had little impact on your already good GPA. I took all 3 of those classes for my major and none of the schools I am applying to consider it a prerequisite. I think you are unnecessarily stressing yourself out.

Last edited:

any advisor or professor telling you that you need a 3.9 gpa to get into dpt school is off their rocker, especially considering the avg gpa of accepted bradley students is 3.5-3.6

Depends. Honestly. Do the schools you are applying interview? I know where I am, 45% of admissions weight is on the interview. So applicants with 4.0 and 90+ percentile GRE can be not accepted because of a poor interview. Poor LOR can do that as well and it always amazes me that applicants think these are the best letters they can get. We really do not weight personal statement much at all, but I know some schools do. So (and this is always my answer), contact the schools you are interested in and ask them how admissions is weighted.

Review the prereqs for the schools you are interested in, most require 50%ile and higher for GRE,this is just a filter indicating how you might perform as a grad student........(75%ile is crazy high) and that is part of the weeding process. PT is Fun makes a great point. And remember "average" means there are those who were accepted w/ less than 3.5.

If you had to have a 3.9 (according to that adviser), no one that's in my class now would be in the program haha.