honor societies? erghhhhh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tayloreve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm a little curious as to how honor societies work. Browsing through the web, I see all these people in a bunch of different honor societies (Golden Key, Phi Kappa Phi, Lambda Sigma, etc). How do you get invited into these? From my understanding, you have to be "asked" to join as long as you meet certain requirements. How do they ask you? Shoot you an e-mail on your school e-mail?

I'd like to be a part in some kind of honor society, but I've noticed at my school theres a lot of honor societies if your in some kind of engineering or something, not so much biological sciences. I have a 4.0 and I'm doing the honors program (dunno if that makes any difference), and this coming Fall will be my sophomore year, but I will be a Junior after this first quarter in December because of my hours. I understand some are for the top % of juniors and seniors, so should I just wait as I'm not there yet? There's nothing as a sophomore I could join? Sorry if I sound ridiculous, I just don't know anything about this! Lol. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

I'm a little curious as to how honor societies work. Browsing through the web, I see all these people in a bunch of different honor societies (Golden Key, Phi Kappa Phi, Lambda Sigma, etc). How do you get invited into these? From my understanding, you have to be "asked" to join as long as you meet certain requirements. How do they ask you? Shoot you an e-mail on your school e-mail?

I'd like to be a part in some kind of honor society, but I've noticed at my school theres a lot of honor societies if your in some kind of engineering or something, not so much biological sciences. I have a 4.0 and I'm doing the honors program (dunno if that makes any difference), and this coming Fall will be my sophomore year, but I will be a Junior after this first quarter in December because of my hours. I understand some are for the top % of juniors and seniors, so should I just wait as I'm not there yet? There's nothing as a sophomore I could join? Sorry if I sound ridiculous, I just don't know anything about this! Lol. Thanks :)

Your predents says you're part of AED..

Hi all!

You don't need to be a part of an honors fraternity to look good if you already have an amazing GPA. It won't make or break you as an applicant. Maintain your GPA and perform well on the DATs and you're guaranteed in many schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honours societies are BS. It's just a way of taking money away from students with sensitive egos that need feeding. Golden Key, which claims to be non-profit, pays their CEO 300k/year.

I got the Golden Key thing in the mail in the fall of my sophomore year. Said something like being in the top 15% of your class.

The $85 to join was only worth it because of my mom's face at the ceremony they held.

Don't worry too much Honour societies, they won't make or break your application.

What you said in your post is pretty much all the info I know about it and Phi Beta Kappa invited me haha. I am a Chemistry major...don't really do many classes outside of that but I took a lot of Comparitive Lit classes. I tutor, I am an RA, I've been on hall government, E-boards, oh and I applied for/won a pre-dental scholarship at my school. I have a feeling that people who apply for scholarships *under your school* are more likely to be recognized by the honor societies. A friend of mine got a scholarship her sophmore year and she got invited to PBK her Junior year...which is rare. So, write an essay and apply for some :-D. Can't hurt, you ambitious sophmore, you. haha.

Yea, AED isn't that prestigious.

If you have above a 3.3 and will pay the club fee, anyone can join...lol

I don't know about anything else, but my brother got an invitation mail from the golden key several times. He is doing great like 3.9 GPA. He didn't join it, but I guess same deal. high GPA, pay the club fee, write down on the app.

Honours societies are BS. It's just a way of taking money away from students with sensitive egos that need feeding. Golden Key, which claims to be non-profit, pays their CEO 300k/year.

I got the Golden Key thing in the mail in the fall of my sophomore year. Said something like being in the top 15% of your class.

The $85 to join was only worth it because of my mom's face at the ceremony they held.

Don't worry too much Honour societies, they won't make or break your application.
This is exactly how I felt about the honor societies. Most of the time they will mail you a letter with an invite, but I thought most of them were a scam so I didn't join any. Just my opinion...

This makes me feel a lot better, honestly, haha. Thank you!

I'm in Delta Epsilon Sigma and my school sent the application to anyone who met the qualifications and then we could apply if we wanted to and then some committee chose who got in or not.

I wouldn't join any of those "national" honor societies that send in mailings. However, any university ones and phi kappa are solid bets!

You can get into these societies because you have a good GPA. And if you have a good GPA you don't need these societies.

The only real benefit you will get is if you actually get involved and do service or secure a leadership position. But you can do service on your own for less money.

I don't think joining can hurt though.

You can get into these societies because you have a good GPA. And if you have a good GPA you don't need these societies.

The only real benefit you will get is if you actually get involved and do service or secure a leadership position. But you can do service on your own for less money.

I don't think joining can hurt though.

Awesome thanks. I just feel a little intimidated, because our Bio department recognizes "outstanding students," and all of them lists their extra-curriculars and they were all part of multiple honors societies...so it made me wonder.. lol

But I agree 100%!