Hopes of scholarship, worth it to attend remaining interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djcool

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just wanted some professional opinion (or any honest opinion) on, "Is it in my best interest to attend my 4 remaining interviews in the hopes of getting some form of scholarship (merit, diversity, need)?" Finances will probably be the single biggest challenge I will face in the foreseeable future and even a partial scholarship could make the burden much lighter.

I really have no frame of reference on the probability of obtaining some form of scholarship from medical schools, but my reasoning is that:
4 remaining interviews will cost ~ $1,800 --> $1,800 / (Average Cost of Attendance x 4 years) = Negligible Amount --> Go to all remaining interviews in the hopes of getting accepted and receiving some scholarship that could put a dent in my medical school debt. My thought process sort of relies on the theoretical possibility of getting a scholarship and the fact that the money investment of attending my last interviews is very small compared to what I would pay for school without a scholarship.

The schools I have left to interview at are Morehouse, Indiana, Oakland University William Beaumont, and University at Buffalo. I have been accepted into a medical school already and I am very thankful for that, as it by FAR trumps any of these other concerns I have. I really appreciate any helpful advice, thank you!

If my stats help: 4.0 gpa, mcat 27, strong ec's, diverse experience, urm applicant, non-resident at remaining schools.

Members don't see this ad.

With a 27 MCAT I don't see many scholarships coming your way at a school that isn't a state school.

Reactions: 1 users
Indiana and Buffalo don't give out much I know.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
With a 27 MCAT I don't see many scholarships coming your way at a school that isn't a state school.

Probably accurate - but... I'd peruse the school-specific threads for the four remaining schools and see what they do for scholarships and the typoe of applicant that generally gets them. Then calculate the cost of attendance at each of those schools assuming you do get a 'typical to good' scholarship and compare that to what you've got.

There's also the relatively small possibility that you could play multiple acceptances into a scholarship at the school where you already have one.

Not accurate, actually.
Oakland is awesome for scholarship money and does not offer their merit scholarships based solely on numbers. In addition to ample merit-based scholarships, they have need-based as well. I can't speak for the other three schools, but I'd highly recommend attending OUWB and seeing what they offer.

If OP is a URM(and it's possible given they have a II at Morehouse and already have an acceptance and tons of II's with a 27) scholarship money is very possible with a 27. Even if they aren't, scholarship money is still possible at Oakland.

Probably accurate - but... I'd peruse the school-specific threads for the four remaining schools and see what they do for scholarships and the typoe of applicant that generally gets them. Then calculate the cost of attendance at each of those schools assuming you do get a 'typical to good' scholarship and compare that to what you've got.

There's also the relatively small possibility that you could play multiple acceptances into a scholarship at the school where you already have one.
Good advice, thank you I will do that :)

@rachiie01 Thank you for your input on my threads, you've been very helpful!
@GrapesofRath Your point is one of the main reasons I felt like I may have chance..I've been fortunate enough to receive a lot more interviews than I expected to get for someone with "my numbers" and it made me wonder if that would translate to scholarship potential.
So far, after looking just at the websites: Oakland is very scholarship friendly, Morehouse gives scholarship money but is vague about criteria/amount/etc, Indiana says scholarships are mostly for their in state resident, and buffalo says the give partials to 25% of accepted student (just their in-staters?).
Thank you everyone for your input so far!

I recommend going to OUWB. That school does give generous merit packages.

Thank you, it seems unanimous about OUWB so I'll be going!