Hoping to get a little feedback...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousHusband

Reaction score
My wife is a 2nd year dental hygiene student. Recently a faculty member said she may want to think about switching to another field... She only has a few months of school left and he said she isn't quick enough on the cleaning to pass the final exam. Is this something that is common and is speed so important that a couple more minutes to clean the patients teeth properly could cost you your job?

I'm not one to argue with teachers but it does make me wonder why he would want keep her from taking her final exam. She aces all of her work besides being a couple of minutes slower cleaning in class. I believe she may get nervous and that causes over thinking.

If she is unable to take the exam... What are some good options for other paths in school or maybe in the industry?

Thank you for any responses!

Members don't see this ad.

I work at a dental office and I have seen fast hygienists and others who like to take their time to do things right and it's totally fine.

Last edited:
I really don’t like instructors like that who are in a totally fixed mindset about a student’s potential. Sad thing is there are quite a few of them out there.

Is there an instructor who cares a lot about the students? Maybe your wife could practice/get some tips from him/her? Someone whose door is always open.

I wouldn’t give up on a program I spent 2 years on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really don’t like instructors like that who are in a totally fixed mindset about a student’s potential. Sad thing is there are quite a few of them out there.

Is there an instructor who cares a lot about the students? Maybe your wife could practice/get some tips from him/her? Someone whose door is always open.

I wouldn’t give up on a program I spent 2 years on.

Thank you so much for your reply! I will pass that along to her. I'm sure any words of advice will be helpful. Have a great day!

I work at a dental office and I have seen fast hygienists and others who like to take their time to do things right and it's totally fine.

Thank you, I feel the same way. Take the time and get it done right. I'll pass this along :) Have a nice day!

Reactions: 1 user
I believe your wife is slow because she wants to do things perfectly.
This instructor should choose another profession because his/her main job is to teach and inspire not demoralize and discourage his students.

Reactions: 2 users
I believe your wife is slow because she wants to do things perfectly.
This instructor should choose another profession because his/her main job is to teach and inspire not demoralize and discourage his students.

Thank you FaeFly. I totally agree. If you that miserable that you need to torture others it may be time to get a new job ;)

Tell your wife she is doing fine. It takes time for a hygienist or dentist to build speed. Her goal in school is to learn the RIGHT way to prophy teeth, not speed. Speed comes later with experience. Her instructor sounds like a D-bag. Maybe she needs to discuss his or her comments to a superior.

Butttttt .... reality is that she will need to learn speed. Thorough, but fast. That's reality.

Reactions: 2 users
Tell your wife she is doing fine. It takes time for a hygienist or dentist to build speed. Her goal in school is to learn the RIGHT way to prophy teeth, not speed. Speed comes later with experience. Her instructor sounds like a D-bag. Maybe she needs to discuss his or her comments to a superior.

Butttttt .... reality is that she will need to learn speed. Thorough, but fast. That's reality.

Thank you 2thMvr! I had her read the responses and it has helped. We all need another persons thoughts at times.

Kind Regards,
Aaron

and you are a good husband. Make sure she reads this as well :)

I'm a hygienist and graduated 8 years ago. Definitely disregard the instructor. Nobody is fast in school. Heck, your not even fast the first year or so. Take your time to complete perfect treatment and worry about speed after graduating. I would recommend timing yourself during procedures whilst in clinic in order to prep yourself for the exam though. Good Luck. You are going to do great.

Reactions: 1 users