Hopkins vs. UCSF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can not BELIEVE you chose UCSF over Johns Hopkins. HOPKINS is one of the best, If not the best medical school in all of the world (Second to Harvard and Harvard only). Nothing against UCSF but you screwed up....BIGTIME

Members don't see this ad.

Talk about splitting hairs and meaningless arguments without sources or proof.

"I guarantee you that PD's have a higher view of Hopkins grads than UCSF grads..."

Source? Proof? Some sort of survey of the nations program director?

"Hopkins (substitute UCSF if you are on the other side) is the BEST medical school in the known universe"

Despite some peoples slavish devotion to top ten lists there isn't that much difference between the good medical schools

If you go to any of them and do well you will have plenty of opportunities-residency, public health fellowships, jobs, Nobel prizes, etc...

If you go to any of them and suck then as my PD put it, "Despite what they think, their worst graduates don't walk on water"

Go to UCSF, Learn everything you can, have a great time, and when it comes time to go to residency you'll have plenty of choices to start a whole new debate in 4 years

Originally posted by drkingdingaling
I can not BELIEVE you chose UCSF over Johns Hopkins. HOPKINS is one of the best, If not the best medical school in all of the world (Second to Harvard and Harvard only). Nothing against UCSF but you screwed up....BIGTIME

King Prick, indeed. I hope you attend Hopkins. It would be really sad if you were a Hopkins reject who refused to move on.

Anyway, it's getting late. It's time for you USN&WR hoes to hit the streets so you can make daddy his money.

Members don't see this ad :)

heheh -ur phony - um i mean funny...

Originally posted by mgmd
heheh -ur phony - um i mean funny...

Not purposely I just think its prettty stupid/borderline mildly ******ed to pass up the worlds greatest medical institution just because you think you wont make friends.
Thats just gay.

Not purposely I just think its prettty stupid/borderline mildly ******ed to pass up the worlds greatest medical institution just because you think you wont make friends.
Thats just gay.

you're an idiot. :rolleyes:

and besides, what does sexual preference for the same gender have to do with it? or being overly joyous either, for that matter?
(i HATE the use of "that's gay" as a derogatory comment meant to indicate something is stupid.)

Originally posted by GoodMonkey
you're an idiot. :rolleyes:

and besides, what does sexual preference for the same gender have to do with it? or being overly joyous either, for that matter?
(i HATE the use of "that's gay" as a derogatory comment meant to indicate something is stupid.)
\

Why the name calling. That really hurts my feelings and I don't think I will ever recover again. Ive decided to leave this world for I am not worthy to be in thy presence. My life isnt worth the **** it deposits. Ill be leaving now and wont be coming back.To hell my destination for my ****ty soul shall not be worthy to preside in the presence of the all mighty.

Originally posted by ERMudPhud

If you go to any of them and suck then as my PD put it, "Despite what they think, their worst graduates don't walk on water"

Word.

That's enough, kids. Let this thread die. The OP has made his/her choice and would have been happy either way.

Originally posted by citygirl
That's enough, kids. Let this thread die. The OP has made his/her choice and would have been happy either way.

I think this thread stopped being about the OP's decision around the 8th post or so ... :rolleyes:

"I guarantee you that PD's have a higher view of Hopkins grads than UCSF grads..."

Source? Proof? Some sort of survey of the nations program director?

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/premium/main/mdrrank.php

Assessment score by residency directors (1-5, 5 = highest)

Harvard 4.7
Hopkins 4.7
Duke 4.5
WashU 4.5
Stanford 4.4
UCSF 4.4

Assessment score by peers:

Harvard 4.9
Hopkins 4.9
Duke 4.6
Stanford 4.6
UCSF 4.6

Originally posted by mgmd

depends what you mean by superior - I'm not ready to close any doors, it seems to me that UCSF's match list is more diverse, with an obvious bias towards CA.

Here we go with the stupid diversity talk again..... if you are so interested in that you should have gone to a foreign country for med school.

It's a subjective qualification - for someone who feels that Hopkins is the best place to do your residency then Hopkins is obviously the better place to go to med school

Hopkins is hands down a better place overall for residency training than UCSF is, that much is clear.

but based on my selective stats if someone wants to go to Brig+Women's, to Mayo, or to Mass Gen, they could easily conclude that UCSF would offer them a better chance at getting in.

If someone wants to go to B/W, Mayo, or MGH they should go to Harvard or Mayo for med school, not JHU or UCSF.

When you look at the match lists as a whole, you will see that Hopkins put a lot more people into the top academic medical centers where the most prestigious residency programs are.

Your argument about B/W and such is a red herring.

Hopkins happens to only allow its students to do 6 weeks of rotations away from school and UCSF allows its students 3,5 months - that's really important for me because I want to get a good sense of what's out there.

Thats not true at all for Hopkins. Where are you getting your info from?

I brought up the issue because in comparison to Hopkins, UCSF has no other academic medical center where patients might be treated. It's just a fact that there is no competition for patients.
The comparison to Philly is inappropriate because it's a much larger city that needs more hospitals. SF is larger than Baltimore by about 150 000 people and has a single medical school that has three very different sites of delivery for patient care - the county, the VA, and the tertiary care center. That's a definite bonus for medical training - I'm not sure how you can coherently argue with that.

Baltimore has the same thing... you can do all that stuff in either city. Every good medical center in the country has visiting med students who will be participating with you. I guess UCSF is the exception though since you insist there is absolutely no other med students present.

Makes me wonder why no visiting med students choose to rotate thru UCSF.... hmmmm

Hey - you win, there are more poor people in E Baltimore. Which always kind of disturbed me when I thought about it - the best medical center in the country can be found in one of the worst neighborhoods in the country, one with the highest rates of syphilis, gonorrhea, and low birth weight children (all preventable illnesses)- am I only one who sees something wrong with that picture?

what are you implying here? That hopkins is not doing enough to help the surrounding community? I'd bet you straight up that Hopkins gives out vastly more free medical care than UCSF does, so before you throw stones you might want to check your own house first.

You simply dont understand how devastatingly screwed up E Baltimore is. No medical system can compensate for 500 city square blocks of urban slum, I dont care how advanced it is. If you put MGH, Hopkins, Mayo, B/W, and the Texas Medical Center (with 14 teaching hospitals) into E Baltimore, it wouldnt even make a dent in the surrounding decay.

Have you ever been to E Baltimore?

Originally posted by MacGyver
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/premium/main/mdrrank.php

Assessment score by residency directors (1-5, 5 = highest)

Harvard 4.7
Hopkins 4.7
Duke 4.5
WashU 4.5
Stanford 4.4
UCSF 4.4

Someday MacGyver you will put down your nearly worn out copy of US News and pick up a statistics textbook. Comparison of means without some measure of variance (standard deviation, p value etc) is meaningless.

Furthermore, if you would read the fine print on your smudged and filthy copy of US News you would see that surveys were sent to a"representative sample" of PD's and the response rate from PD's was down around 30%. In other words, over 2/3's of those surveyed thought the whole exercise was so stupid that they didn't even bother to send the survey back. So, all you can really say is that a (potentially biased)minority of an undefined subset of residency directors had a small (and not clearly statistically significant) preference for JHU over UCSF. Probably not something to make life changing decisions over.(clinical or otherwise)

please...I also vote that this thread should die...

die...die..die........

Someday MacGyver you will put down your nearly worn out copy of US News and pick up a statistics textbook. Comparison of means without some measure of variance (standard deviation, p value etc) is meaningless.

Furthermore, if you would read the fine print on your smudged and filthy copy of US News you would see that surveys were sent to a"representative sample" of PD's and the response rate from PD's was down around 30%. In other words, over 2/3's of those surveyed thought the whole exercise was so stupid that they didn't even bother to send the survey back. So, all you can really say is that a (potentially biased)minority of an undefined subset of residency directors had a small (and not clearly statistically significant) preference for JHU over UCSF. Probably not something to make life changing decisions over.(clinical or otherwise)

Yeah you must be right.

I'm sure PDs view University of Puerto Rico grads in the same light as Harvard

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by MacGyver
Yeah you must be right.

I'm sure PDs view University of Puerto Rico grads in the same light as Harvard

:rolleyes:

I'm sure they don't. However, the point ERMudPhud is making is absolutely correct. The data is essentially useless (for the argument here) when you don't have any idea about whether or not 4.7 and 4.4 are statistically significantly different. A 5-point Likert scale is notoriously inaccurate and I think it rather pointless to use these results to make such grand comparisons.

On that note, I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.