House/Senate Bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepIsGood

Support the ASA !
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you arent, or if you are, an ASA member I urge you to call your representative/senator now! We just got this in the email. I just called my rep as soon as I got this.

FYI... for those of you that go to residency in one area and are actually from another area. Make sure you contact each respective congressman. Remember the future lies in your hands!

----------------

ALERT: House set to vote on SGR and Teaching Rule reform!!!

Call your Representative and urge a "YES" vote on H.R. 6331 The U.S. House of Representatives is expected to vote Tuesday on H.R. 6331, a bill that would stop the massive 10.6% Medicare payment cut scheduled for implementation on July 1. H.R. 6331, the "Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act" would avert Medicare payment cuts AND reform the Medicare anesthesiology teaching rule! ASA strongly supports the bill. ASA members must call their Representatives and urge a "YES" vote on H.R. 6331.
Call the Capitol Switchboard, (202) 225-3121.
Ask to speak to your Representative. If you do not know your Representative, simply provide your zip code to the Capitol Switchboard, and the operator will connect you.
Urge your Representative to vote "YES" on H.R. 6331.
Introduced by Ways and Means Committee chair Charles Rangel (D-NY) and Energy and Commerce Committee chair John Dingell (D-MI), H.R. 6331 includes many critical Medicare provisions included in S. 3101 (Baucus, D-MT; Snowe, R-ME) which the Senate considered on July 10, several of which are vital to anesthesiology. Of particular importance, the legislation:
Blocks Medicare payment cuts for 18 months through December 31, 2009 and provides a 1.1% positive Medicare payment update for 2009. The bill's 18-month fix provides time for Congress to develop an alternative update mechanism to address the additional Medicare payment cuts still projected for 2010 and beyond.
Includes the language of H.R. 2053, authored by Rep. Xavier Becerra (D-CA) and Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX) and cosponsored by 124 additional Representatives, that restores full Medicare payment to anesthesiology teaching programs.
Extends the 1.0 floor on the work GPCI through December 31, 2009.
Increases the PQRI bonus to 2.0% for 2009 and 2010.
CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE NOW! Tell him or her that this is a crucial vote for medicine and that you expect a "yes" vote on H.R. 6331. On the Senate side, ASA is grateful for the leadership of Sens. Max Baucus (D-MT) and Charles Grassley (R-IA), who continue negotiations on a Medicare bill that ASA trusts will retain the language of S. 2056, authored by Sens. Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) and Jon Kyl (R-AZ), and cosponsored by 29 additional Senators. S. 2056 is the Senate companion to H.R. 2053. Please watch for further legislative updates, and be prepared to take action when called upon. Your support is vital to the success of these efforts!
American Society of Anesthesiologists 847-825-5586

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you arent, or if you are, an ASA member I urge you to call your representative/senator now! We just got this in the email. I just called my rep as soon as I got this.

FYI... for those of you that go to residency in one area and are actually from another area. Make sure you contact each respective congressman. Remember the future lies in your hands!

----------------

ALERT: House set to vote on SGR and Teaching Rule reform!!!

Call your Representative and urge a "YES" vote on H.R. 6331 The U.S. House of Representatives is expected to vote Tuesday on H.R. 6331, a bill that would stop the massive 10.6% Medicare payment cut scheduled for implementation on July 1. H.R. 6331, the "Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act" would avert Medicare payment cuts AND reform the Medicare anesthesiology teaching rule! ASA strongly supports the bill. ASA members must call their Representatives and urge a "YES" vote on H.R. 6331.
Call the Capitol Switchboard, (202) 225-3121.
Ask to speak to your Representative. If you do not know your Representative, simply provide your zip code to the Capitol Switchboard, and the operator will connect you.
Urge your Representative to vote "YES" on H.R. 6331.
Introduced by Ways and Means Committee chair Charles Rangel (D-NY) and Energy and Commerce Committee chair John Dingell (D-MI), H.R. 6331 includes many critical Medicare provisions included in S. 3101 (Baucus, D-MT; Snowe, R-ME) which the Senate considered on July 10, several of which are vital to anesthesiology. Of particular importance, the legislation:
Blocks Medicare payment cuts for 18 months through December 31, 2009 and provides a 1.1% positive Medicare payment update for 2009. The bill's 18-month fix provides time for Congress to develop an alternative update mechanism to address the additional Medicare payment cuts still projected for 2010 and beyond.
Includes the language of H.R. 2053, authored by Rep. Xavier Becerra (D-CA) and Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX) and cosponsored by 124 additional Representatives, that restores full Medicare payment to anesthesiology teaching programs.
Extends the 1.0 floor on the work GPCI through December 31, 2009.
Increases the PQRI bonus to 2.0% for 2009 and 2010.
CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE NOW! Tell him or her that this is a crucial vote for medicine and that you expect a "yes" vote on H.R. 6331. On the Senate side, ASA is grateful for the leadership of Sens. Max Baucus (D-MT) and Charles Grassley (R-IA), who continue negotiations on a Medicare bill that ASA trusts will retain the language of S. 2056, authored by Sens. Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) and Jon Kyl (R-AZ), and cosponsored by 29 additional Senators. S. 2056 is the Senate companion to H.R. 2053. Please watch for further legislative updates, and be prepared to take action when called upon. Your support is vital to the success of these efforts!
American Society of Anesthesiologists 847-825-5586

Thansk for the highly important post sleepisgood.

Hey all, this is where's is at. I just called my representatives in Washington and asked them to support this bill.

This is the answer we all have been waiting for if we are to reverse this damaging rule. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE CALL THE SWITCHBOARD at the capitol and give them your zip code and they will put you thru to your representatives office and identify yourselves as a physician who is supporting this medicare bill.

This success of this bill depends on us and it will certainly change the current road anesthesiology is headed on.

If you want to make our specialty stronger, please call!!!

Last edited:
This is very important and takes all of 3-4 minutes to do! I know because I just called. So everyone, please call your HR and ask them to support this bill!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got something in the mail that said something along the lines of a $16k raise for anesthesiologists and a change in the teaching rule... this is a separate issue? Did the other one pass through, or is it also still a bill?

HR 6331 passed today by a vote of 355 in favor, 59 opposed, and 20 members abstaining. If you want to look up how each representative voted, you can check out the official House of Reps gov't website for a list.

So, good news! :)

This is good news as I understand it. Thats two legislative wins for us this year. What do you think this will do for academic departments bottom line in terms of dollars. Any estimates or financial impact that any of you know about?

We will make approximately $0.01 more a year.

Now that it stomped through the house, everybody make sure it stomps through Senate and down Bush's throat.

Keep yourself informed and hopefully someone in your department keeps everyone updated.

This is good news as I understand it. Thats two legislative wins for us this year. What do you think this will do for academic departments bottom line in terms of dollars. Any estimates or financial impact that any of you know about?

The financial impact of this rule to academic anesthesiology is about 40-50 million a year. The biggest problem that it has caused is the closure of 28 residency programs, disincentive for anesthesia attendings to teach residents and inability to hire more faculty to staff departments.

This article from our newsletter explains better than I can:

http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/NL Portal/PDF/June08.pdf#page=6

Last edited:
The following was posted on the AP wire this eve:

Senate allows cuts in Medicare doctor payments

By CHARLES BABINGTON | Associated Press Writer

9:51 PM EDT, June 26, 2008

WASHINGTON - A scheduled cut in payments to doctors who treat Medicare
patients remains in place. That's because the Senate has narrowly failed to
approve a House bill that would have kept reimbursement rates steady.

The 10.6 reduction, scheduled to take effect Tuesday, was triggered by
Medicare spending levels that exceeded established targets.

The Senate fell one vote short of the 60 needed to pass the bill under
expedited rules. All 50 Democrats present, plus nine Republicans, backed the
bill. But most Republicans opposed it, noting that the Bush administration
has hinted at a possible veto.

(This version CORRECTS short headline to the Senate action allows cuts in
Medicare doctor payments.)

So the lesson is to vote Democrat because otherwise our salaries will continue to plummet. 40% reduction by 2015 unless something is done to stop it and it doesn't look like the Repubs give a crap.

i forget where i read it, but Bush was quoted as saying he was just waiting for the bill to get to hit his desk so he could veto it (his 24th i believe). no question in his mind.

Looked it up on the US senate home page:

H.R.6331
Title: To amend titles XVIII and XIX of the Social Security Act to extend expiring provisions under the Medicare Program, to improve beneficiary access to preventive and mental health services, to enhance low-income benefit programs, and to maintain access to care in rural areas, including pharmacy access, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Rangel, Charles B. [NY-15] (introduced 6/20/2008) Cosponsors (1)
Related Bills: H.R.6212, S.3101
Latest Major Action: 6/26/2008 Senate floor actions. Status: Returned to the Calendar. Calendar No. 836.MAJOR ACTIONS:

6/20/2008 Introduced in House
6/24/2008 Passed/agreed to in House: On motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill, as amended Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 355 - 59 (Roll no. 443).
6/26/2008 Senate floor actions: Returned to the Calendar. Calendar No. 836.

What the hell does returned to calendar #836 mean?

Looked it up on the US senate home page:

H.R.6331
Title: To amend titles XVIII and XIX of the Social Security Act to extend expiring provisions under the Medicare Program, to improve beneficiary access to preventive and mental health services, to enhance low-income benefit programs, and to maintain access to care in rural areas, including pharmacy access, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Rangel, Charles B. [NY-15] (introduced 6/20/2008) Cosponsors (1)
Related Bills: H.R.6212, S.3101
Latest Major Action: 6/26/2008 Senate floor actions. Status: Returned to the Calendar. Calendar No. 836.MAJOR ACTIONS:

6/20/2008 Introduced in House
6/24/2008 Passed/agreed to in House: On motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill, as amended Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 355 - 59 (Roll no. 443).
6/26/2008 Senate floor actions: Returned to the Calendar. Calendar No. 836.

What the hell does returned to calendar #836 mean?

senate nixes proposal by one vote (largely, ahem, republican i do believe).
back to the drawing board.

i forget where i read it, but Bush was quoted as saying he was just waiting for the bill to get to hit his desk so he could veto it (his 24th i believe). no question in his mind.

I saw the same thing.

It was harry reed the majority leader who changed his mind.

The bill is not gone. It will come back and as long it has bicameral support in congress, bush's veto won't matter as it can be overridden.

It was harry reed the majority leader who changed his mind.

The bill is not gone. It will come back and as long it has bicameral support in congress, bush's veto won't matter as it can be overridden.

This failure in the Senate suggests that if the bill comes back (modified in some way) and passes, it probably won't pass by much in the Senate. In that case, where are the votes to override a veto going to come from?

This failure in the Senate suggests that if the bill comes back (modified in some way) and passes, it probably won't pass by much in the Senate. In that case, where are the votes to override a veto going to come from?

lobbying. where else?