How annotated is your FA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YouDontKnowJack

I no something you don't
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, people say they scribble stuff all over their First aid. I really can't see how much you can scribble, cuz the info is sufficient as it is, no?

Would any of you mind showing a picture of how much scribbling you have in your book?

Really, I'm curious, cuz i have nothing more than underlines and circles, mostly
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

This is what you do....
1.Take a A4 size paper,on which you will write your notes........cut the paper to the same length as that of the FA lengthwise.
2.On the margin along the length of the FA book,on the page you need to attach notes,put some glue.
3.Stick the paper you sized by cutting on to the FA.

Now you have a extra page , which neatly folds into the FA.Looks like a scrap book...........but works. :D
Most FA warriors have some 30 -40 pages or more stuck on their beloved FAs.Your FA will look thick and plump, and why not, its your bank of knowledge.
Good luck! :thumbup:

I have just started studying, but I already came across some things that where importatnt, but not in FA. This is mostly quite specific knowledge (i.e. from one of the Goljan sources) but still potentially important. Or things that I didn´t remember so well any more, that I didnt completely understand when i just read them in FA, so I looked them up somewhere else and made some notes about that in FA.

I have been writing into FA, but it really doesn´t look very neat, and I am not sure if I will be able to read all the scribbling very fast without getting a headache when I want to review it.
So I am considering buying a spiral notebook and numbering it with the page numbers of FA (only the relevant pages of course, not the introduction and book review pages). Then I would have one blank page corresponding to one in FA. So a similar approach to that naveenanirada suggested.

But I have to say I really dont like FA very much. It takes a long time to find the right topic and annotate in the right spot. But I guess it will pay off...

How do you others do it?

i do write a word or sometimes even a phrase. But I can't see how i'd add an extra page and fill it up. I just put a checkmark and say 'yep, i understand that', and move on.

The other review books have all the extra knowledge i need, so I think the most I'd write is: "see BRS Path p.xxx" or something in the white space.

So, would people agree that so long as you understand the tidbits of info already printed in FA, you don't need to write anything?
I just want to use FA the way it was intended to be used....

Members don't see this ad :)
YouDontKnowJack said:
i do write a word or sometimes even a phrase. But I can't see how i'd add an extra page and fill it up. I just put a checkmark and say 'yep, i understand that', and move on.

The other review books have all the extra knowledge i need, so I think the most I'd write is: "see BRS Path p.xxx" or something in the white space.

I am just worried that I would look up a concept in an additional source now and then decide I understood, but that it would be completely gone from my memory by the time it comes to reviewing. Things like that have happened to me before, especially in Pharm (I guess the mistake was also that I didnt do questions to cement the concept). So I want to make sure I will remember understand the concept again when I review.

But if you don´t feel like you need those additional reminders and you feel you will have the time to go back to "BRS Path p.xxx", then you will be just fine.

I wrote mostly in the bottom margins of my First Aid 2005. The annotations looked like footnotes, of extra information relating to the subject of that page. For instance, I wrote about Menetrier's dz on bottom margin on the stomach/GI path page.

The script was very shorthand - ie:
Menetrier's = hypertrophic gastric ruggae -> protein loss.

Sometimes it would be elaboration of material on that page. For example, that picture of the liver dz man - I drew extra arrows pointing to his flapping tremor, his hypogonadism, his spider telangectasias, etc.

Other times, if I had room on the page, I would draw the mechanism or a face or figure showing the physical symptoms of the dz. This makes you remember it. I drew little circle sketches of the glomeruli next to each of the glomerulopathies. Certain pages were really plastered with writing, particularly the heme/anemia, GI, and lymphoma pages.

Another good place to write is the right-hand margins that is mostly wasted on pneumonics. Sometimes I erased the most annoying mnemonics with an eraser, and wrote something else in that space. Anytime I had another book out (ie Robbins, BRS, etc) I would have the relevant first aid chapter open at the same time, and write things in that I thought might be important. For example, I copied several graphs from BRS physiology into the physio section of FA (ie the Zones of West - V/Q curve), and I remember drawing on the synaptic receptor graphs found in the Pharm section of First aid.
I wrote with slow print handwriting, using a thin black gel pen, being careful not to smudge.

i gave up on annotating first aid--too little space & i don't like the organization. instead, i annotate my review books (BRS, etc.). i just use first aid to guide me & make sure i'm hitting all the key points.

you can take FA to kinko's and have them cut off the spine and drill holes in it for about $4.. then you can put it in a notebook and add pages as you like..

yeah, i took my FA to kinkos and got it spiral bound... just the important stuff, though. I took out all the extra pages about what the test is like, special conditions, what other books to buy, etc. Makes the book a bit smaller and definitely easier to deal with since the spirals allow you to fold it over... fits great inside a cubicle when i am hibernating studying.

I have not been annotating my FA at all. I tried to, but I just dont think that it will end up working for me. Too little space. If anything, i might add info from FA into the other books that i am studying off of. Pretty much just using FA as a guide to what to really pay attention to when reading from other sources.

My own version is to do a mish-mash of what others have said. I started to listen to Goljan and I add little notes frm his lectures as I go along. That seems like a good way to start. I also will have brs out and I will look at the as I work through the lectures.

I tried to be renovating my house, pulling down wallpaper, etc and listen to goljan but no dice. I got nadda. So now I sit down with him like I am hard studying and just listen and then mark the passgaes in FA. This way, I have begun the process and when I look at my FA, it is begining to plump up with good notes. Also, I add extra papers at the end. I use xerox paper for scrap paper when I study, and if some notes are really important then I add them in the end. Not glued, but just carfully stuck in there. Also, review notes from exams and what not. This way, FA becomes the focal point of my exam review.