How are residency salaries determined?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ruban

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain how residency salaries are determined? It seems totally random, and I haven't noticed any cost of living adjustments. Yet I understand they are somehow set by the AAMC or some other organization.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, the federal government (through Medicare or Medicaid or some such thing) provides somewhere in the neighborhood of $120,000 to residency programs per resident per year. Obviously, most of the money goes towards "education" - paying staff physicians, administrators, malpractice insurance, etc. Traditionally, somewhere around $40,000+ (depending on PGY year) goes to the resident as salary.

If an uncompetitive program really wanted to attract better residents, it could offer salaries of $60,000 or $80,000 or whatever...

Hmm interesting. I guess a lot of it has to do with how desirable a residency is. UCSF pays like 40K for interns, whereas other schools with a cost of living 1/5th as much pay considerably more. Boo :p

The ACGME requires that programs adhere to a strict process for determining resident salaries however they do allow some methodological leeway. I know that at my program they were determined by using a wheel of fortune type device. Other programs use lotto numbers or dice. Be sure to ask which system is used when you interview.