Nursing salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Christmas

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find this troublesome. Nurses typically work 3 days a week, many make about 100k mid/late career. Essentially even if we are making 300k or so, we are essentially making the same as nurses, given that we typically work 5 days a week + some weekends for call/rounding. Is it not disturbing to others that we are making close to what nurses make?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to know your sources on that, but even if it's true...

No, it doesn't bother me. I'm way too busy taking care of my own crap to waste time worrying about theirs.
Which part? That nurses make 100k or that they work 3 days?

The vast majority of RNs without an advanced degree do not make anywhere close to 100K a year unless 1) they live in Cali 2) working the shifts no one wants (straight weekend nights) and getting the differential pay or 3) working an incredible amount of overtime. I suppose I could theoretically do it at my location by working straight weekends and picking up an extra 2 shifts a week but that kinda defeats the argument that the nurse is putting the bare minimum of hours in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The vast majority of RNs without an advanced degree do not make anywhere close to 100K a year unless 1) they live in Cali 2) working the shifts no one wants (straight weekend nights) and getting the differential pay or 3) working an incredible amount of overtime. I suppose I could theoretically do it at my location by working straight weekends and picking up an extra 2 shifts a week but that kinda defeats the argument that the nurse is putting the bare minimum of hours in.
Are you a nurse? Here at the VA most nurses make about 100k w a bare bones RN. And even as you mention it seems you work 3 days a week? It seems nice that they would work 3 days but get paid for a regular week.

Yeah I'm a nurse. Where are you at that they make this much. There's a VA a 2 miles from the hospital I'm at and as far as I know they don't make that much but I live in the upper Midwest. And as far as the 3 days a week goes, yeah I work 3 days a week but it's not like I work any less hours than my buddy who works at a bank. I put in usually ~38-39 hours a week with my 3 shifts I just get my hours in a more condensed time than the standard M-F. For some nurses its awesome, some nurses hate it

Yeah I'm a nurse. Where are you at that they make this much. There's a VA a 2 miles from the hospital I'm at and as far as I know they don't make that much but I live in the upper Midwest. And as far as the 3 days a week goes, yeah I work 3 days a week but it's not like I work any less hours than my buddy who works at a bank. I put in usually ~38-39 hours a week with my 3 shifts I just get my hours in a more condensed time than the standard M-F. For some nurses its awesome, some nurses hate it

38-39 hrs is barely full time that’s my point. Most professionals who are salaried put in more than 40hrs and work 5 + days

36 hours is technically full time? What nurses do you know that are paid on a salary? Every floor RN I know works on an hourly basis. If they want to make more than they work more. I don't really understand where you're going with this. Yeah we don't work 75 hour weeks but we also don't make 100k a year like you're claiming. Don't worry I promise that none of your nursing peers are making anywhere close to the same hourly wage as you.

Trying to start a nurse flame war in here is just dumb. As a trainee I guarantee nurses make more on an hourly basis than I do. But it’s not going to last forever. And most nurses work hella hard and are valuable professional colleagues. But I would much rather do what I do for 80 hours a week than what they do for 36, especially since my financial situation has a defined expiration date.

Reactions: 8 users
Trying to start a nurse flame war in here is just dumb. As a trainee I guarantee nurses make more on an hourly basis than I do. But it’s not going to last forever. And most nurses work hella hard and are valuable professional colleagues. But I would much rather do what I do for 80 hours a week than what they do for 36, especially since my financial situation has a defined expiration date.
Have you met the OP before? I think Flame War was his original user name.

Reactions: 9 users
Are you a nurse? Here at the VA most nurses make about 100k w a bare bones RN. And even as you mention it seems you work 3 days a week? It seems nice that they would work 3 days but get paid for a regular week.

This is true in many places. I personally know a nurse (RN) with ~10 years experience making 120k in a mid sized city; federal average overall is about 80k. I'll have to ask but I do think this comes with some "overtime" but I think most residents would consider it a light week. They also get additional money for weekends, night shifts, holidays, etc.

This does vary significantly by facility and even on a person-to-person basis.

I find this troublesome. Nurses typically work 3 days a week, many make about 100k mid/late career. Essentially even if we are making 300k or so, we are essentially making the same as nurses, given that we typically work 5 days a week + some weekends for call/rounding. Is it not disturbing to others that we are making close to what nurses make?
Well, if it makes you feel any better it's miserable so that's why there's such high turnover. I worked nights and they repeatedly called me during the day when I was supposed to be sleeping to pressure me to work more and more and more and more hours. Everyone who worked on my unit was out at some point due to a shoulder or back injury from moving obese patients. I was in trouble with my own internist for being dehydrated because I never stopped during my shift to drink anything. I took a significant pay cut to get away from that madness. It wasn't worth it. They can keep their 100 grand. I like being able to sleep at night, eat lunch, and pee.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, if it makes you feel any better it's miserable so that's why there's such high turnover. I worked nights and they repeatedly called me during the day when I was supposed to be sleeping to pressure me to work more and more and more and more hours. Everyone who worked on my unit was out at some point due to a shoulder or back injury from moving obese patients. I was in trouble with my own internist for being dehydrated because I never stopped during my shift to drink anything. I took a significant pay cut to get away from that madness. It wasn't worth it. They can keep their 100 grand. I like being able to sleep at night, eat lunch, and pee.
Being a physician is 100times worse in terms of stress both physical and emotional so what you describe is 1/10th of what a resident or even many attending physicians go through on a daily basis. Surgical docs are working 70-80hrs easy,

Being a physician is 100times worse in terms of stress both physical and emotional so what you describe is 1/10th of what a resident or even many attending physicians go through on a daily basis. Surgical docs are working 70-80hrs easy,
What factors of a job do you think we should compare in order to determine the proper salary ratios for jobs in different fields?

I'd rather be an average-paid physician than a highly-paid nurse. Speak to any nurse and they'll explain it to you.

As a “surgical doc” I disagree with this statement. Yes, as a resident and now fellow I work 80 hours a week but my attendings do not. In addition, the physical/emotional toll is different for everyone and trying to place arbitrary numeric comparisons between the professions, which are complementary, is pointless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

It’s location dependent, but new nurses in NY can easily make 80-90k even as a new RN.

Add in overtime, night differential, and maybe a few years of salary increases and >$100k is definitely possible.

NPs and CRNAs can easily make more if hired in that capacity.

It’s location dependent, but new nurses in NY can easily make 80-90k even as a new RN.

Add in overtime, night differential, and maybe a few years of salary increases and >$100k is definitely possible.

Yeah but outside NY and CA it's not as easy. The highest paid nurses I ever saw here in South Carolina were weekend nights only, and they were still only clearing about $50 an hour.

The lowest paying job as a family doctor I've ever taken was twice that.

Get over yourself, dude.

Reactions: 5 users

And sanitation workers in NY can make 80k/year with a few years experience and some overtime. And physicians in North Dakota or Alaska can make 1 mil/year.

And sanitation workers in NY can make 80k/year with a few years experience and some overtime. And physicians in North Dakota or Alaska can make 1 mil/year.

And working on Wall Street or in corporate law can earn you 7+ figures in NY.

Do you have a point?

This isn't same for all countries. This vary from region to region.

These infographics pop up every so often and they're always *****ic. Teachers deal with an insane amount of uncompensated labor.

That’s also assuming every resident works 80 hrs per week, which is not accurate.

And more hours than I remember working in medical school.

Nurses are highly trained professionals who have an integral role in the medical team, and we wouldn't be able to do our job if we didn't have good nurses working with us. Complaining about who "deserves" a higher salary is nonproductive, and really isn't relevant to this forum, so this thread is being closed.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.