How are ya'll paying for everything after matriculation? School and Non-school related?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceanicvibe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most people pay for all of their school expenses, housing, food, etc with ONLY loans?

What about if you have a child and/or pets and a S.O. who's also in school? Do we just request more money?

Say you do pay all of your school expenses, your rent, your groceries with loan money - if we're not advised to work while we're in school, how can we afford everything else in life? The unexpected expenses? and the planned fun?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My dad did this in 2004. He and my mom quit their jobs with three kids, a dog, and two cats. We all moved away and they took out A LOT of extra loans. We lived in a small rural town about 25 miles from the big city where his school was so that we could rent for less cost, and he and my mom both commuted every day. My mom found a job in the same big city, for a while they were paying their mortgage on the house that sat on the market for 6 months and also paying rent, all with loans. He was in a lot of debt, and his student loan payments are a couple thousand a month, but he said when you're making $15K+ a month, that's no big deal. He had no other option. His school was out during the summers and he would work on a farm in South Texas as well as opened his own pressure washing business for the summers. He had no financial help from any other resources other than loans. Once my mom got her job and our house in our old town sold, things got easier.

If I am accepted, I'll be in the exact same situation except with one kid, two dogs, and three cats. The only consolation I have is that my dad made it work and now he lives a very comfortable life. Hope this helped!

Reactions: 1 users
Do most people pay for all of their school expenses, housing, food, etc with ONLY loans?

What about if you have a child and/or pets and a S.O. who's also in school? Do we just request more money?

Say you do pay all of your school expenses, your rent, your groceries with loan money - if we're not advised to work while we're in school, how can we afford everything else in life? The unexpected expenses? and the planned fun?

Thanks!
You either get a job or take out private loans (most people won’t advise this). Federal student loans have a cap so you can’t just request more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied for the military HPSP. If I don't get excepted then I will have to use loans.

you already submitted your app for HPSP??
Yeah, I started working with my Air Force recruiter in May, so i've already been to MEPS and interviewed and everything. I am still working on my Navy app. now though.

Yeah, I started working with my Air Force recruiter in May, so i've already been to MEPS and interviewed and everything. I am still working on my Navy app. now though.
My recruiter said to wait until September, should I be worried??

My recruiter said to wait until September, should I be worried??
No you will be fine, the AF/ Navy board doesn't even meet until late November/ early December. I had a friend who applied in mid November and got accepted.

All you guys banking on the HPSP for financial security, what are yall gonna do if you don't get it? Use private loans for everything?

I'm working a full time engineering job now, in hopes that I can save up for living costs for the four years. And if I need to take out loans, it would be for tuition only. That is why despite having a decent salary now, I still live on a student budget.

Reactions: 1 user
All you guys banking on the HPSP for financial security, what are yall gonna do if you don't get it? Use private loans for everything?
Yeah thats about the only option. If I don't get accepted than maybe I'll look into the HRSA loan repayment, or hopefully go to a school that offers some scholarships.

NHSC scholarship is a good backup to the military. It's basically the same thing except you're not trained to use a gun and don't deploy out of country. You just get sent to either a remote location like an Indian reservation or an inner-city clinic.

Final resort would be student loans for everything and live on eggs, ramen, and wine coolers.