How bad is a withdrawal

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by KaliVera, Mar 13, 2018.

1. KaliVera

Pre-Pharmacy
    Currently in a statics class and I'm most likely going to get a C or BC at most, it doesn't affect my pre-reqs or even my back-up major and without it, my GPA will be good; how badly will a withdrawal freshman year reflect during admissions.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. thursdayy

Not that badly! It’s your freshman year and if it’s your only withdrawal... you’re fine!! I’d probably retake it though and get an A in it just to not raise concerns later on lol. Some pharmacy schools require statistics as a prereq though, so it doesn’t hurt in that aspect to take it again either!

4. KaliVera

Pre-Pharmacy
    It's not statistics, it's statics which is a mechanical engineering class that doesn't count as physics or the statistics pre-requisite.

5. thursdayy

Oh whoops! Sorry! Don’t know how I misread that. Still won’t look badly lol. It’s irrelevant to pharmacy so you could just say you took it for interest but decided nah.

6. ChemTiger

Pre-Pharmacy
    Are you required to take a physics class as a prerequisite for admission? Ask your advisor if statics (without the accompanying dynamics course) would satisfy the requirement, or if you’d need to take (probably calculus-based) physics first, which usually consists of two or sometimes even three courses to complete the first-year series. Statics and dynamics usually are taken after the introductory physics sequence, and typically by physics/engineering majors. Most pharmacy schools – at least that I’ve looked at, which are numerous – only have the general (read: trigonometry, not calculus, probably no lab either) physics class as a prerequisite, especially since only one semester of calculus is required. Statics is not a class I’d attempt without a good working knowledge of calculus in three dimensions, and physics using calculus rather than trigonometry. Most schools allow one “free” withdrawal (before a certain date, and that’s likely fast approaching) from a class, but if you think you can pull a B, I’d stick it out and save that free W for when you’re in a class where you’re risking something that’ll do real damage to your GPA.