How bad is bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AttemptingScholar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My scienceGPA trend is a pretty straight line down--3.7 to 3.3. So A- to B+. My cGPA went 3.8 to 3.6, again, downward trend. My immediate thought is I don't feel like this would be "concerning to the Admissions Committee", but I'm not sure. Is it bad enough that I should explain it if a secondary gives me a space?

Members don't see this ad.

Well it’s def not good lol. As long as you’re not applying to the uc schools or top 20 as long as ur overall gpa is still good then u might have a shot. And how are you gonna explain it? It’ll just look like an excuse. Unless it’s something major, everyone has **** going on in their lives (and most people think they have it “worse” than everyone else when they really don’t), I think that’s what some people don’t understand and they make their app even worse by either explaining something minor (which this downward trend is not minor) or they make excuses

Reactions: 1 users
My scienceGPA trend is a pretty straight line down--3.7 to 3.3. So A- to B+. My cGPA went 3.8 to 3.6, again, downward trend. My immediate thought is I don't feel like this would be "concerning to the Admissions Committee", but I'm not sure. Is it bad enough that I should explain it if a secondary gives me a space?
The problem is that explanations come off as excuses.

An example,

You: "My mom got sick"

Adcom member: Why didn't you take a LOA? or take some Ws?

At my school, this would likely put you on a wait list.

Are you done with school? If not, you have time to recover. If you're done, you might need to do a post-bac or SMP.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A competitive MCAT can assuage this situation, but it will not fix it. Be prepared to eloquently describe why you had a downward trend WITHOUT making excuses.

Reactions: 1 user
The problem is that explanations come off as excuses.

An example,

You: "My mom got sick"

Adcom member: Why didn't you take a LOA? or take some Ws?

At my school, this would likely put you on a wait list.

Are you done with school? If not, you have time to recover. If you're done, you might need to do a post-bac or SMP.
This won't work at my school either.

I'm in a similar situation, except for the fact that I had to stop volunteering for a little bit because my time went towards a family situation. My academics were fine. Is that ok?

I'm in a similar situation, except for the fact that I had to stop volunteering for a little bit because my time went towards a family situation. My academics were fine. Is that ok?
Yes you're fine. Taking time off from ECs will likely be glossed over.

Reactions: 2 users

Hi OP. I can relate to your situation. My science performance was similar and my cGPA drop was a little bit more precipitous.

A problem is that, for your sGPA to fall from 3.7 to 3.3, you probably had (or approached) some sub-3.0 semesters towards the end of school. In other words, I imagine that you struggled to maintain a B-average in the upper division science courses that most mimic the intensity of med school.

FWIW: I did not apply immediately after college, did an SMP and am applying as a first time applicant now. I believe it was important for me because I showed that I “broke” my downward trend, got past the life issues that caused me to sink, and am back on the horse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi OP. I can relate to your situation. My science performance was similar and my cGPA drop was a little bit more precipitous.

A problem is that, for your sGPA to fall from 3.7 to 3.3, you probably had (or approached) some sub-3.0 semesters towards the end of school. In other words, I imagine that you struggled to maintain a B-average in the upper division science courses that most mimic the intensity of med school.

FWIW: I did not apply immediately after college, did an SMP and am applying as a first time applicant now. I believe it was important for me because I showed that I “broke” my downward trend, got past the life issues that caused me to sink, and am back on the horse.
Oh sorry, I understand people's reactions! Those were my semester grades. My final sGPA was 3.49 and my final cGPA was 3.67 and I never had a class below a B!

Reactions: 1 user
Adcoms mostly see GPA by academic year, not by semester.
It is shown in a table with columns for BCPM, all other and total.
Anything beyond 90 units is shown as senior year (in other words, if you do 5 years those last 2 are smooshed together).
College credits earned in HS are shown separately at the top of the table. Grad coursework is shown separately at the bottom.

A downward trend from first to second year of college is very typical, there is then a rebound giving a J curve or Nike swosh.

What about someone that submitted their app this cycle as a 4.0 but then getting all B's in the fall semester (and final, I think)? An offer of acceptance wouldn't be recinded on that basis, would it?

Adcoms mostly see GPA by academic year, not by semester.
It is shown in a table with columns for BCPM, all other and total.
Anything beyond 90 units is shown as senior year (in other words, if you do 5 years those last 2 are smooshed together).
College credits earned in HS are shown separately at the top of the table. Grad coursework is shown separately at the bottom.

A downward trend from first to second year of college is very typical, there is then a rebound giving a J curve or Nike swosh.

Yes, I had a similar thing.
Went from 4.0 to 3.8 then 4.0 the rest of the way... but that dip might also be because I took physics and organic in the same semester!

Also, when comparing applicants, do adcom members view A+s any differently than As?
If two students had similar GPA but one had more A+s

Yes, I had a similar thing.
Went from 4.0 to 3.8 then 4.0 the rest of the way... but that dip might also be because I took physics and organic in the same semester!

A 4.0 to a 3.8 is the thing as saying 4.0 to a 4.0. That drop is trivial.

Also, when comparing applicants, do adcom members view A+s any differently than As?
No

If two students had similar GPA but one had more A+s
SDNers are advised not to get too wound up about single metrics.

What about someone that submitted their app this cycle as a 4.0 but then getting all B's in the fall semester (and final, I think)? An offer of acceptance wouldn't be recinded on that basis, would it?

haha nope

I believe most (if not all) schools specify their conditions of acceptance which are usually:
- finishing your degree program
- not getting into legal trouble/drug issues
- not doing something wild/racist with social media

EDIT: oh and no IAs

Last edited: