How bad is it to not submit some grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellie42

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished a community college course worth 7 units that should have been an easy A, but I ended up with a B in the course.

I have no other classes at this community college and I've already graduated from undergrad and I'm going to apply to med school this June.

Do you think anyone will notice if I just don't include my community college course?

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished a community college course worth 7 units that should have been an easy A, but I ended up with a B in the course.

I have no other classes at this community college and I've already graduated from undergrad and I'm going to apply to med school this June.

Do you think anyone will notice if I just don't include my community college course?

Maybe, maybe not. But the requirement is that you submit ALL of your course work. I had a similar situation where I took 4 classes for fun over 2 summers (and transferred them into my main degree program as pass/fail so it would not impact my GPA). Because they were p/f I did not put as much effort into them and received B's and C's. Low and behold, these trancripts had to be sent into AMCAS and were included in my GPA and BCMP averages. Oh well. It is what it is. Send everything in, warts and all. Just follow the rules and you won't have anything to worry about. And 1 B is not going to hurt you anyway.

You probably won't get caught, but if you do... very bad juju. As in: no medical school juju.

Don't risk it. Be honest. A B won't kill you, but dishonesty can stop you from becoming a doctor. Not worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Maybe they won't notice, but I wouldn't count on it. Definitely NOT worth the risk. Your AMCAS requires you to report every class taken at every school. CC is definitely included. The problem with omitting information is if you get found out later, they can kick you out of school or (depending on when you get found out) revoke your degree for falsifying your application.

Hell, you're only talking about a B anyway -- this shouldn't be a deal-breaker if your application is otherwise in good shape.

You probably won't get caught. And, it's not like you failed the course anyway. But the rules are explicit. The Man wants every record of your courses. Blah, blah, friggin' blah.

If you don't divulge this grade, you just have to ask yourself how long you're willing to live with the amount of worry that's compelled you to post this question.

In before they lock this thread! Just like they've locked every other thread that is essentially asking how badly you can cheat and still get into medical school.

If you seach this topic you'll find lots of threads on it.

In the end its your funeral, I mean, choice. If you get caught when they do the background check before you enter you could have your offer of admission removed and will have worked very hard for nothing.

Overall, just report the damn B its not going to kill your GPA.

When I got accepted to a certain medical school, I was sent a packet of information about a required background check. One of the things they mentioned in the packet was that this school was going to specifically look for unreported grades from other schools! :scared:

I'm not going to tell you which school this is for the simple reason that you might just choose not to apply there. But you should know that it's possible that you could be asked to submit to a background screening sometime while in med school- especially before you start working at government (VA and country-run) hospitals. Be ethical. And if you can't be ethical, just straight-up be careful.

It's out of integrity and bad karma, dude (or dudess). Don't do it. If you do, you will be taking a stupid risk, in my opinion. Submit all of your post-secondary course work and all of your post-secondary transcripts.

BTW: You may wish to examine your current set of commitments on integrity; small problem now, big problem later. This is just a public service announcement. Do with it as you wish. ;)

You will get caught. If it's AMCAS, they are very clear about the fact that all post-high school credits attempted must be reported....even if that means you might have slacked off in a CC class taken in high school. When (not if) AMCAS finds out, they send a 'red flag alert' immediately to all medical schools that you applied to. I know of at least one case where this happened (the person faked a letter of recommendation). The candidate was rejected from all medical schools applied to that year.....and the AMCAS record never goes away. Bye bye American allopathic medical schools..... Honesty is the best policy.

You will get caught. If it's AMCAS, they are very clear about the fact that all post-high school credits attempted must be reported....even if that means you might have slacked off in a CC class taken in high school. When (not if) AMCAS finds out, they send a 'red flag alert' immediately to all medical schools that you applied to. I know of at least one case where this happened (the person faked a letter of recommendation). The candidate was rejected from all medical schools applied to that year.....and the AMCAS record never goes away. Bye bye American allopathic medical schools..... Honesty is the best policy.

Would someone really be this much of an idiot? Do you actually know this person or is this possibly urban legend? Just can't believe anyone is that dumb.

If you do know the person, any chance you could post a copy of the letter? We need some amusement here!

Members don't see this ad :)

Good God it's a B. Do yourself a favor and lower your expectations prior to entering med school. Report the B; the risk/reward ratio is off the scale. Just curious, but what kind of CC class were you taking that counts 7 credit hours?

Would someone really be this much of an idiot? Do you actually know this person or is this possibly urban legend? Just can't believe anyone is that dumb.

If you do know the person, any chance you could post a copy of the letter? We need some amusement here!

Believe it or not.......it happened. This person is not a friend and, even if I had the letter, there is no way it would be posted here. Totally inappropriate request....with all due respect.

The problem with omitting information is if you get found out later, they can kick you out of school or (depending on when you get found out) revoke your degree for falsifying your application.

Everyone talks about this, but just once, I'd love to see the school that tries to REVOKE a degree for not reporting ONE grade (a B at that). No school is going to do that.

When I got accepted to a certain medical school, I was sent a packet of information about a required background check. One of the things they mentioned in the packet was that this school was going to specifically look for unreported grades from other schools! :scared:

Really? Tell us the school!

It was an emt course, taken mostly by people with no intention of going to a 4 year college. So.. made me feel kinda stupid to not get the A.

It was an emt course, taken mostly by people with no intention of going to a 4 year college. So.. made me feel kinda stupid to not get the A.

Yeah, those EMTs sure are stupid.

I understand. However, you'll likely feel more stupid if you don't report the grade only to have a malpractice lawyer dig around and find this out. Then you are placing your medical license or board certification at risk. It's not worth it. At all. Report the grade.

Hey, I'd believe it. I mean, a month or two ago someone was in here posting about having their ex write a LOR (which was apparently a horrific letter)....

I had the same thing happen w/ the EMT course I took, except I got a C b/c I was aiming for passing and it was going to transfer as a P to my college. I wish I had known about AAMC's policy when I was a freshman. However, it's going into your general GPA and not your science, so its not going to create that big of a dent. You don't want to loose your dream of becoming a physician down the road b/c you did something stupid and dishonest. Just list it, the penalty of getting caught is too great.

Hey, I'd believe it. I mean, a month or two ago someone was in here posting about having their ex write a LOR (which was apparently a horrific letter)....

:eek: I bet adcoms laughed at it thinking how silly that is :laugh:

The completion of my application was also postponed over a month b/c a community college, where I took a P/F phlebotomy classes over the summer, took weeks to send the transcript to AMCAS. And when they actually sent it, they forgot to put a raised seal on it, so AMCAS rejected it and I had to ask the same slow school to send another one with a seal! All for courses that weren't going to factor into my GPA! :confused: Now that's a horror story. They really should sit pre-meds down their 1st yr of college and warn them about taking classes at other colleges...it would have saved me these headaches down the road.

Don't mess with fire. Submit all of your transcripts to AMCAS. You can easily mop up a B or two with an awesome MCAT.

Hahaha, I was in your class.

And no, I emailed Jeff and he said that retakes are only for people who don't pass, not for those trying to get a better grade... :p

Hahaha, I was in your class.

And no, I emailed Jeff and he said that retakes are only for people who don't pass, not for those trying to get a better grade... :p

Thats a lie, and u should stop giving cues on who u r and other ppl :D
PM me ur number and ill go with u on Friday 2 the office ok?

hmm. when i submitted my AMCAS application early this past June, I had just begun concurrently taking a foreign language course abroad. up to that point, i had not received a transcript at all for my coursework at this school (my AMCAS was approved and sent before i completed the course). Also, because I had not completed the course yet I did not list it as a completed course. Do I need to update them at this point? I've already been accepted to schools...

It never ceases to amaze me that some students even entertain the idea of lying by omission. Maybe these are the same students that have so much trouble with the ethics questions in interviews...

I know it sounds like a cliche, but honesty is the best policy. You can never go wrong by always being honest.

In before they lock this thread! Just like they've locked every other thread that is essentially asking how badly you can cheat and still get into medical school.

If you seach this topic you'll find lots of threads on it.

In the end its your funeral, I mean, choice. If you get caught when they do the background check before you enter you could have your offer of admission removed and will have worked very hard for nothing.

Overall, just report the damn B its not going to kill your GPA.
1. This thread has not been locked. Proof of a typical hysterical Wom_n!
2. OP dont include it a B will hurt your GPA. This is being said by someone who got accepted to a school in cali. Or you could listen to the poster above who didnt.

Its been mentioned before in other threads but there IS a national clearing house of grades. If a school chooses to check, they can get all your grades (including community colleges) from this website. I was going to pull and see what showed up but I'm not paying for all 9 universities I've attended. And yes all 9 were on there and I have gone to 3 community colleges and some regional universities.

http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/

http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/

Can track which institutions you've attended (the 2nd for financial aid).

Moral of the story: Report all grades. yes it sucks for the GPA but just report it and not worry about it.

I took several Community College Courses when I was in both junior high and high school. I also took 2 classes at a Community College to prepare myself for University classes. (I took Ochem at a University and got a C, and then retook it at a JC and got an A. Same for Calculus.) I only took these courses to prepare myself for the second semester in each of these courses.

However, I didn't report any of these to AMCAS. I wasn't being dishonest, but I really didn't know that these non-degree classes would apply. In actuality, reporting these classes would give a significant boost to my GPA. I am on the waitlist at a school, and after reading this thread, I wrote an e-mail to that school telling them I would immediately submit my CC transcript if they asked for it. Was this the right move? Do you think they'll take me off the waitlist and reject me because of this? I'm trying to be as honest as I can and give them full disclosure on this situation, but do you think it will backfire?

Since it's not negative information, it seems like there would have been no incentive for you to "intentionally" withhold it. The school should understand that. I applaud your proactive approach in clarifying things with the school & don't think it will be a problem for you.

Good luck.:)

Its a B. Good God I have a several C's.

I'l trade the OPs' B and your C's for my slew of F's.

Report the grades. You'll sleep better at night knowing some rat bazztid who hated your bedside manner won't try to get your medical degree revoked for lying on your application (or even worse some gunner in your class who you trusted with the info 'cause you thought he/she was your friend).

ahhh issue of ethics...