How bad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much of a disadvantage am I at by retaking the August mcat. I've submitted my amcas alrdy, been cleared, and even handed in some secondaries. I just assume they will wait on my mcat? Does it really hurt my application that much or does it hurt when you send your amcas in after you receive your mcat score. Just for background I have a 3.6 and a 31 (At NYU) on my first round of the mcat (im retakin cuz i got an 8 in bio so i was advised to retake). Im wondering how it would affect me at schools such as NYU / Sinai/ Einstein.

Responses are much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure who gave you that advice, but I think it'd be unwise to take it again in August. The general rule is that unless you can improve your score by 3 points it hurts you more than it helps you to wait until August. You have a 31, which means that you did really well in PS and verbal, and you have a solid GPA.

I would stay pat and enjoy the next two weeks of August.

I don't know if I would say retaking without improving could actually "hurt" you. I would try calling some of the schools you are applying to and finding out how they feel about retaking. I talked to someone at Mayo, concerned about dropping in sections if I retook, and she told me that it wouldn't make a difference and that they would just combine the best scores. Some schools will average though, so that's why I say do some research. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
My question is less regarding going down (which hopefully wont happen) but more of will it be harder to get in because I am applying late?

hey doctor5,
i applied last year after having taken the aug. MCATs. many other august MCATers will tell you that you are at a disadvantage. it's not a severe disadvantage, but rather a mild one. many other students will get to interview before you will, and schools will take much longer to look at your stuff because they will already be backlogged. furthermore, schools will have started giving out acceptances - so it will get much harder. still, you will get interviews and acceptances if your numbers and ecs are strong - but not as many as you would have if you took your mcats in april and submitted your AMCAS in june. unfortunately, from experience i think you'll be hit the hardest at schools such as sinai and nyu - they are early starters. einstein not so much

good luck

doogiehowserfan said:
hey doctor5,
it's not a severe disadvantage, but rather a mild one... many other students will get to interview before you will, and schools will take much longer to look at your stuff because they will already be backlogged. furthermore, schools will have started giving out acceptances - so it will get much harder. still, you will get interviews and acceptances if your numbers and ecs are strong - but not as many as you would have if you took your mcats in april and submitted your AMCAS in june.

After reading your post, it sounds worse than just mild. I think you're right in that it probably depends on the school.

When I called the schools they say they take around 50% of their acceptances from the late pool. Was that said to appease me? From what I get a lot of people take the august mcat and apply still, I didnt know it was such a disadvantage?

Honestly I think you are at a bigger disadvantage by waiting than you would have been with keeping your 31 MCAT.

doctor5,
im an nyu grad with similar stats to you. if you want to further discuss this you can PM me.

TexPre-Med said:
Honestly I think you are at a bigger disadvantage by waiting than you would have been with keeping your 31 MCAT.

I completely agree. A 31 MCAT is an average acceptance score unless you want to get into an ivy.

what's done is done.