How Can I Become a Stronger Medical School Candidate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tpain707

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’m looking for advice on improving my medical school application competitiveness. I'd like to apply for the 2017 cycle. I’m interested in both DO and MD programs. I'm willing to go to just about any US school that will accept me. I graduated from UC Berkeley in May of 2014 with a degree in Molecular and Cell Biology: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and a minor in Spanish. My undergraduate GPA is too poor to be considered eligible for medical school. I’ve read on these forums about post-bacc and special master’s programs. Both programs seem to be good options, but I’m not sure which program would best help me improve my chances of getting into medical school. I’m also interested in working as a scribe.

Stats:
  • California resident
  • 23 y/o
  • White, Caucasian Male
  • cGPA: 3.1
  • sGPA: 2.73
  • MCAT: 506 (September, 2015)
  • 1 year of research experience as an undergrad (2013-2014)
  • 1 year teaching English in Spain (2014-2015)
  • 1 summer working at a mental health institute (2011)

I take full responsibility for not being a top-notch student, and I’ve spent the last year and a half improving my habits.

What course of action would you advise in order for me to become a competitive medical school (DO or MD) candidate?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
T

Members don't see this ad.

The sGPA is the area that needs to be addressed. You have a couple ways to

a) Retake all C grades and lower and take some more upper level science courses in some form of informal post bacc at a local U. Get your DO sGPA above a 3.0 preferably 3.2+, and with the 506 you have a reasonable shot at generating some interest from DO programs. This is a relatively straight forward low risk approach.

b) The higher risk approach is do some informal post bacc work to get your MD calculated sGPA above 3.0. Retake the MCAT and try to get it up to 513+. Then after all this is done, start looking into SMPs. Do well in a reputable, established, rigorous SMP(ie repeatedly and consistently beating the MS1 class avg in your med school classes) and you can make yourself a reasonable MD candidate. This is a much longer, riskier and more expensive route where there are no guarantees( people who do well in SMPs these days still sometimes have to go the DO route).

So it's up to you how you want to proceed. Regardless you are going to have to do some informal post bacc work. If I were you I would start that, raise the GPA and strongly think about what in medicine you are aiming for and your goals. If they are compatible with a DO degree, there is nothing more that needs to be said. But if MD is the end goal, my advice would be raise your GPA to a passable level for both DOs and MD SMP programs and retake the MCAT. If you can hit an MCAT score competitive for MD programs, an SMP could be worth consideration. If not, the DO route is a simple decision if you want to pursue medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your informative response. I am interested in DO, and am not stuck on MD. I'm unfamiliar with the term 'informal post-bacc.' Does this mean taking individual classes at a university without being in an official program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your informative response. I am interested in DO, and am not stuck on MD. I'm unfamiliar with the term 'informal post-bacc.' Does this mean taking individual classes at a university without being in an official program?

Correct

Like @GrapesofRath said

If, realistically, 506 is your range, then you have to gun for DO and do grade replacements. SMP with your cGPA and sGPA and the 506 is not gonna do you too much good

Cirrect. An informal post-bac is a DIY.

This will be the fastest path to becoming a doctor.