How can we get universal healthcare in the United States?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can’t sell that when half the people don’t pay federal income tax

The parts of govt you are defending are simply redistribution
Everybody pays taxes. When you go buy something you paying taxes on it.

Members don't see this ad.

Makes sense to me though. The 50% better off help the 50% worser off, seem like a good system. Would be better if maybe the top 10% paid for the bottom 90, but the system not perfect

Members don't see this ad :)
Something they showed us in school to opened our eyes to the problem
7A812FC5-39F3-433D-BAE2-8ED08572A5CE.jpeg
52A7C1E6-A38B-4BB7-9E8E-D91B1EFB7D1E.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I mean I know y’all doctors and not sociology professors but just look at it!

I mean I know y’all doctors and not sociology professors but just look at it!
All you have is a graph saying a lot of people want other people’s money. That’s not an appropriate defense for the theft you are advocating

Reactions: 4 users
All you have is a graph saying a lot of people want other people’s money. That’s not an appropriate defense for the theft you are advocating
How you earn that much money? You don’t unless you makin it off the backs of others. We can’t even get a 15$ minimum wage

You hit it right on my man. They living in a fairytale. We gonna run a country with no money.

They say roads need a usage fee. Who here don’t go to the doctor when they sick? I guarantee you’ll go at least once, when you bout to die.

And you consent to taxes by living here. If you moved outside the country you would no longer be consenting to the taxes.

Actually no to literally everything you said.

You dont consent to income tax judt by living here. Because if you don't pay it they come after you with guns and put you in jail. The same analogy would be to say someone who was raped at gunpoint consented because they let the rape happen . Your argument doesn't hold water

Also, you clearly know nothing about the tax code . If you move outside the country you are still required to pay US income tax even if all money was made outside thetUS. Even if you renounce your US citizenship and move outside the country you are still required to pay income tax for 5 years . So your argument about consent by living here doesn't hold water because even if you leave the country and renounce citizenship you are still required to pay income tax or go to jail.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually no to literally everything you said.

You dont consent to income tax judt by living here. Because if you don't pay it they come after you with guns and put you in jail. The same analogy would be to say someone who was raped at gunpoint consented because they let the rape happen . Your argument doesn't hold water

Also, you clearly know nothing about the tax code . If you move outside the country you are still required to pay US income tax even if all money was made outside thetUS. Even if you renounce your US citizenship and move outside the country you are still required to pay income tax for 5 years . So your argument about consent by living here doesn't hold water because even if you leave the country and renounce citizenship you are still required to pay income tax or go to jail.
You really think they gonna send someone to come get you if you leave and don’t pay taxes?

Man look how much money that 1% got?!

So? It's theirs, and no one else has the right to simply take it because some rando decided they have too much.

How you earn that much money?

You don’t unless you makin it off the backs of others. We can’t even get a 15$ minimum wage

Yes, and those employees are compensated for the work they do. Sorry, but some jobs are simply not worth $15 minimum wage. You get paid according to the value of the work. Lebron James brings in hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue, hence he gets paid accordingly. The flip side is the person flipping burgers brings little value to the company, and also get's paid accordingly.

You want to make money? Then develop the skills necessary to get a job that someone thinks is worth paying you money to do.
You really think they gonna send someone to come get you if you leave and don’t pay taxes?

Yes. I have close family members who work at high levels in the FBI. Tax evasion most definitely gets you a visit from guys with guns and time in jail, even if you leave the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man look how much money that 1% got?!

How did that 1% get so much you ask?

it comes down to 3 things:
1) either have a skill or ability that others dont which is also valuable (doctor, lawyer, basketball player)

2) provide a new good to the market that others want (apple ipod, Tesla car)

3) provide a common thing through mutually beneficial, consentual transactions a ton of times (walmart, Amazon, stock broker, importer etc)

Reactions: 3 users
A common tactic, usually on the left, is to dehumanize the 1% by making them nameless and faceless and then acting as if they stole their wealth, rather than the truth. It is easier to steal the money of a 1 percenter if you claim he ammased his wealth nefariously rather than the truth that he worked harder and smarter than his peers.

It is easy to steal Bob's money when he is a faceless one-percenter than realizing Bob gave up his 20s and 30s, missed every Christmas , Thanksgiving and New Years w his family for a 3 straight years,spent 16 years post-high school and worked 80 hours a week more than half of those years to become a cardiologist and save lives everyday. Almost every one percenter is like Bob in some way.

Be like Bob and come back to me about how Bob should foot the bill of someone who didn't give one tenth of the effort to support himself and his family.

I say the left specifically because they are the ones using this tactic to try to redistribute wealth.

A common tactic, usually on the left, is to dehumanize the 1% by making them nameless and faceless and then acting as if they stole their wealth, rather than the truth. It is easier to steal the money of a 1 percenter if you claim he ammased his wealth nefariously rather than the truth that he worked harder and smarter than his peers.

It is easy to steal Bob's money when he is a faceless one-percenter than realizing Bob gave up his 20s and 30s, missed every Christmas , Thanksgiving and New Years w his family for a 3 straight years,spent 16 years post-high school and worked 80 hours a week more than half of those years to become a cardiologist and save lives everyday. Almost every one percenter is like Bob in some way.

Be like Bob and come back to me about how Bob should foot the bill of someone who didn't give one tenth of the effort to support himself and his family.

I say the left specifically because they are the ones using this tactic to try to redistribute wealth.
I don’t know what left is. But I do know WHOS left. All of the rest of us who wasn’t born into money. Or have ancestors we can’t even trace that worked for free because they had no choice to.

it a group effort. Humans are social creatures. For instance, you might be a doctor, but where would you be without all of them teachers showing you the way when you was little?

I paid my teachers to teach me that stuff. It wasn't given for free.

All of the rest of us who wasn’t born into money

You realize that the number of people actually "born into money" is extremely small right? And who cares if they were, their family is rich, doesn't give you a right to that money just because you don't have any.

I don’t know what left is. But I do know WHOS left. All of the rest of us who wasn’t born into money. Or have ancestors we can’t even trace that worked for free because they had no choice to.

Save me the sob story. My ancestors fled a genocide with nothing to their name. My grandmother's brothers were forced into a river at gunpoint and drowned as they were fleeing.
When my family finally came to this country, through ingenuity and a lot of hard work they succeeded in this country of opportunity despite being brown.

What's your excuse?

Remind me again why I should have to foot the bill for my ancestors out competing yours or misdeeds that neither I nor my ancestors committed ?

Reactions: 3 users
How you earn that much money? You don’t unless you makin it off the backs of others. We can’t even get a 15$ minimum wage
If you become a trillionaire off a company where you pay everyone $14/hr. You earned it. No person has a natural right to a particular salary above whatever they agreed to

If you want $15/hr, offer a skill/service that someone will pay that much for

But we have a lot of income mobility here. Someone who’s parents were dead broke can get a trade job and make >50-100k by just working hard, or a cc degree and make more than >50k or go to med school.

Neither of my grandfathers finished high school

But we have a lot of income mobility here. Someone who’s parents were dead broke can get a trade job and make >50-100k by just working hard, or a cc degree and make more than >50k or go to med school.

Neither of my grandfathers finished high school
We not gonna take no for an answer. We outnumber the 1% so if we all get out an rock the vote, we gonna make ourself heard. That’s the most important thing I learned in school. Vote.

We not gonna take no for an answer. We outnumber the 1% so if we all get out an rock the vote, we gonna make ourself heard. That’s the most important thing I learned in school. Vote.

what you are describing you learned is that as long as you outnumber someone you can take their stuff with govt force. It's not ok to do

Reactions: 5 users
I mean why not just get a mob together and steal from their homes? Sounds like what you are arguing for is basically the same.

Reactions: 4 users
I mean why not just get a mob together and steal from their homes? Sounds like what you are arguing for is basically the same.
Because that’s illegal. Voting is our duty as citizens. That’s what it for. To make sure the rich and powerful don’t take over. Democracy. Majority rule

Because that’s illegal. Voting is our duty as citizens. That’s what it for. To make sure the rich and powerful don’t take over. Democracy. Majority rule
It is just as wrong to vote to take a large amount of wealth from only a specific group of people as it is to go steal from those people in person.

How you figure that? Voting a civic duty. Bring us back to some sort of homostasis

We are not a democracy.

And stealing money from someone isn't how you "stop them from taking over", that just makes you the bad guy

Reactions: 2 users
We are specifically NOT a democracy to prevent exactly this kind of thing from happening. Its called the Tyranny of the Majority.

Reactions: 2 users
How you figure that? Voting a civic duty. Bring us back to some sort of homostasis

Is that where gay men and lesbians stop moving around so much? Pretty sure that's a weird thing to vote for...

We are specifically NOT a democracy to prevent exactly this kind of thing from happening. Its called the Tyranny of the Majority.

I was about to post this exact post, almost word for word

Is that where gay men and lesbians stop moving around so much? Pretty sure that's a weird thing to vote for...
What? You gotta a problem with gay ppl? My brother gay. He aint no different than anyone else. What that got to do with anything either? Let stay on topic.

Nobody tryin to steal money. Just about having fairness and equality. Ideas our country was based on.

What? You gotta a problem with gay ppl? My brother gay. He aint no different than anyone else. What that got to do with anything either? Let stay on topic.

Nobody tryin to steal money. Just about having fairness and equality. Ideas our country was based on.

Yeah that one sailed right over your head even despite the fact I bolded it.

I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry about you getting to medical school.

Man I don't know why you gotta be all disrespectful. I'm just statin my point of view. No need for these insults

Is that lipitor or crestor?

Because that’s illegal. Voting is our duty as citizens.

So if we vote to make murder a legal thing does that make it ok?
That’s what it for. To make sure the rich and powerful don’t take over. Democracy. Majority rule

Wrong on all accounts. 1. That isn't what voting is for 2. We don't have a democracy and we da mn sure don't have a majority rule. Trust me, you don't want that. There is a reason that our country was designed to avoid that exact scenario.

Nobody tryin to steal money

That's literally what you are advocating for. It must take some serious mental gymnastics to think that, "oh that person has too much wealth so I need to go take it" isn't stealing.

Your teacher literally needs to be fired and never be allowed to teach again.

I am. I enrolled in college for January and we are required to take a class on black history or art. I enrolled in history, not big into art except music, and they don't teach classes on Tupac

I am. I enrolled in college for January and we are required to take a class on black history or art. I enrolled in history, not big into art except music, and they don't teach classes on Tupac

No, you need an in depth US history course, followed by an in depth course on the US government and constitution.

No, you need an in depth US history course, followed by an in depth course on the US government and constitution.
That class sounds allwhite to me. I’d love to learn about a bunch of old racists enslaved my ancestors, but I think I’m gonna take a class about my people. If it isn’t a prereq I’m not taking it. Taking sociology, African history, general biology, laboratory, and math

That class sounds allwhite to me. I’d love to learn about a bunch of old racists enslaved my ancestors, but I think I’m gonna take a class about my people. If it isn’t a prereq I’m not taking it. Taking sociology, African history, general biology, laboratory, and math

Cool, then you will continue to have no idea what you are actually talking about. This has nothing to do with black and white, it has to do with you learning the truth about government and our country's founding principles instead of the garbage you have been taught to this point that you seem to genuinely believe is true.

"Black history IS American history"
-Morgan Freeman

Cool, then you will continue to have no idea what you are actually talking about. This has nothing to do with black and white, it has to do with you learning the truth about government and our country's founding principles instead of the garbage you have been taught to this point that you seem to genuinely believe is true.

"Black history IS American history"
-Morgan Freeman
Morgan is right. But many Americans seem to forget that. Why they don’t require black history at most colleges? But we gotta learn about the racist four fathers? We not gonna have true equality until then.

Morgan is right. But many Americans seem to forget that. Why they don’t require black history at most colleges? But we gotta learn about the racist four fathers? We not gonna have true equality until then.

At this point you have to be trolling...

Because I doubt you are trolling all I will say is you are completely wrong. You cannot just pick and choose the aspects of history that you like and ignore the rest. History is history and there is a lot to be learned from studying all of it.

You have zero knowledge of how our country is set up, why it exists that way, and why it needs to continue to be that way. You refuse to learn. No one is ever going to take you seriously if you can't have a factual conversation.

Muh feelz is not a reason to do anything.

A lot of it need to be changed. that all im saying. We got the affordable healthcare act going which is a huge step in the right direction to make everyone healthy, but it needs to keep going. We need to keep going with Michelles healthy food initiative. Some kids only eat food at school, and it should be good food for them. not that trash they gave us when I was in school

A lot of it need to be changed. that all im saying

Yes, yet what you are advocating for is a massive step in the wrong direction.

We got the affordable healthcare act going which is a huge step in the right direction to make everyone healthy, but it needs to keep going.

I would love to hear exactly how much healthier our population is because of the AHA...:rolleyes: news flash: it isn't.

We need to keep going with Michelles healthy food initiative. Some kids only eat food at school, and it should be good food for them. not that trash they gave us when I was in school

I don't know much about what her exact process was to achieve this but I agree with the idea. We need better food in schools.