How challenging is Human Physiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurstingEagle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is my schedule for next semester, I have heard that human physiology is a very challenging class and want to know if its a bad idea to take it with both 2nd semester Ochem and Physics from those who have take the class. How big is the time commitment for physiology? The thing is if I don't take physiology I have to take Genetics instead which may be even more difficult. Global health and bioethics are easy online classes in an attempt to balance out my schedule.Thanks for any advice.

Introduction to Global Health (3 credits)
Human Physiology (3 credits)
General Organic Chemistry 2 (3 credits)
General Organic Chemistry Lab 2 (1 credit)
Bioethics (3 credits)
General Physics 2 (3 credits)
General Physics 2 lab (3 credits)

Members don't see this ad.

That's a decently packed schedule. I'm glad those online classes are easy, that will give you three strong courses to follow through with. That being said, I suggest you take physiology, given your predicament (Having to chose between that and genetics)

Not to be rude, but these types of questions are nearly impossible to answer accurately because they are so dependent on the individual, learning style, school and time management skills. So many variables. My opinion is that the schedule is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took A&P in college and to me, it wasn't nearly as 'bad' as O-chem or physics- it wasn't hard, it was just a lot of memorization. That said, I'm taking Physiology right now in a SMP and it's a whole 'other ball game- definitely my toughest subject. So, to parrot chill3, it comes down to how your class is taught, in what depth, how difficult the concepts will be for you personally, and how you will balance all those classes. I'd take the first week to the drop date and see how it feels juggling all those classes, especially since "easy" online classes can be real time-suckers, even if the material is a cakewalk.

Reactions: 1 user
Human Physiology is extremely easy. I got an A in it. Was that helpful?

So this is my schedule for next semester, I have heard that human physiology is a very challenging class and want to know if its a bad idea to take it with both 2nd semester Ochem and Physics from those who have take the class. How big is the time commitment for physiology? The thing is if I don't take physiology I have to take Genetics instead which may be even more difficult. Global health and bioethics are easy online classes in an attempt to balance out my schedule.Thanks for any advice.

Introduction to Global Health (3 credits)
Human Physiology (3 credits)
General Organic Chemistry 2 (3 credits)
General Organic Chemistry Lab 2 (1 credit)
Bioethics (3 credits)
General Physics 2 (3 credits)
General Physics 2 lab (3 credits)

Your schedule is fine.

+1 Chill3 has a very good point on saying that this depends on you. However, I'll give you a general sense of the class. I noticed that you do not have a physiology lab, I am not sure if whether that is a mistake or not. If it is a mistake, then you are going to have three labs, which is a pain due to the amount of time, i hated physiology lab, that damn online physioex crap. Compared to anatomy, it is a whole different ball game. Anatomy was more of a memorization, looking at parts and remembering those pesky long strange names, with some to little talk about function. Physiology is a huge emphasis on pathways, cellular structure, chemistry. Basically you will be hitting the tiny, molecular and/or cellular details. Back to chill3's points, some people are really good at memorizing, so they found anatomy easy but physiology challenging. Others found physiology much easier because they has something to learn and apply, instead of pure memorization. Time-wise, it is a somewhat consuming class. I am not sure how your math skills are, but you will be finding yourself a little more busy than usual with physics, o chem, and physiology. For me personally, all these classes first come off as extremely difficult but once you put the time into it you will know it like the back of your hand. This is a little off- topic, but if you are ever having trouble with physics or O chem, khan academy has some amazing videos on both subjects ( I use VLC player to fast forward his videos, he is little slow sometimes!) and there is also a website called mastering organic chemistry. You got this OP!

Thanks, I am not taking the lab for human physiology.

For me, it was right on par with the average upper level Bio class, and was very helpful for MCAT prep.

Not to be rude, but these types of questions are nearly impossible to answer accurately because they are so dependent on the individual, learning style, school and time management skills. So many variables. My opinion is that the schedule is fine.
+1000

Depends on the school, the student, the professor, the TAs, the everything.

Incredibly subjective and variable since each school's physiology course varies per quarter depending on who's teaching it, and between schools since some schools will cover more material and be worth more units.

Your 3 unit physiology class could be easier or harder than mine, which was a 5 unit course on a quarter system. Even if I told you it was easy, it could because I already had a strong foundation of A&P going into the class, and if I told you it was the hardest class I ever took, it could be because I never studied for the class. It's probably best to ask your peers who actually attend the same school as you and have had the professors you may be signing up for to get a better idea of what to expect/their experiencse.

If I were you I would not take the A&P. Instead focus on doing well in OChem and physics.

If I were you I would not take the A&P. Instead focus on doing well in OChem and physics.

If I don't take physiology, I have to take genetics. The physiology I signed up for is just human physiology not Anatomy and Physiology. Thanks I might look for another upper division course to take I guess.

Incredibly subjective and variable since each school's physiology course varies per quarter depending on who's teaching it, and between schools since some schools will cover more material and be worth more units.

Your 3 unit physiology class could be easier or harder than mine, which was a 5 unit course on a quarter system. Even if I told you it was easy, it could because I already had a strong foundation of A&P going into the class, and if I told you it was the hardest class I ever took, it could be because I never studied for the class. It's probably best to ask your peers who actually attend the same school as you and have had the professors you may be signing up for to get a better idea of what to expect/their experiences.

Yeah your right I will try and ask around. I will probably end up dropping physiology. Math is not my strong suit haha learning skills wise. I am currently taking Ochem 1, Physics 1, and Calculus and ironically I am doing great in ochem, good in physics thanks to curve, but really struggling with calculus. So between Physiology and Genetics, maybe physio would be easier for me?

Yeah your right I will try and ask around. I will probably end up dropping physiology. Math is not my strong suit haha learning skills wise. I am currently taking Ochem 1, Physics 1, and Calculus and ironically I am doing great in ochem, good in physics thanks to curve, but really struggling with calculus. So between Physiology and Genetics, maybe physio would be easier for me?

Can you go to your college bookstore and browse through the texts for the genetics course? Maybe look up an old syllabus for the class as well? There is no way of knowing how difficult the class is going to be for you without doing a little research.

It is very subjective, but personally I felt physiology was pretty easy because it was more interesting. If those online classes are as easy as you say, I feel the schedule is very doable. With that being said my physiology and ochem professors were very good and if yours isn't they might be tougher.

Yea I would not take physio with ochem and physics. My physio was easily as hard as my ochem and I go to a quite challenging school. That being said both are manageable as long as you put the work in, however I would do them separate. Both are big time commitments.

I'm in the same boat as you. (Or was)

Last edited:
This question is nearly impossible to answer, given that we don't know how challenging your school is, how challenging that particular class is at your school, what kind of student you are, etc. All I have to say is, given that you stated the alternative to physiology is genetics, why would you be worried about physio?