How competitive are REU, SURFs, SROP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davethebarbarian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been getting rejected at multiple summer REU programs at the moment, what is the typical GPA usually to be competitive for one of these programs?
I'm currently a freshman with a 3.66 GPA (hopefully 3.75-3.8 after this semester), and currently doing research at a neuroscience lab doing a pilot project. I did a summer research program in high school, but no paper. I also mention in my personal statement I want to do a MD/PhD program because I enjoy research. I also go to a Canadian University but I am a permanent residence of the US.

Members don't see this ad.

These types of programs can be quite competitive depending on the location and prestige of the institute the program is being run out of. That being said you may just be getting rejections because you're a freshman and may have not taken enough of the classes a lot of the applicants would have (since many applicants start around the summer after sophomore year). Can you stay at your current lab over the summer?

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't get in this summer look out for programs with a narrower target audience (just structural biology...just sophomore...just minorities...just people with lab experience...just, etc etc etc). UM SMART and the Tri-I Gateways program are both excellent for sophomores interested in the MD/PhD path. UM SMART includes an MCAT prep course which is an awesome perk on top of doing research.

Members don't see this ad :)
It took me three years of applying to get in, so persistence is key. You're a freshman so you have plenty of time to bump your application up and be more competitive. Next year you'll have a much better chance and by junior year if you apply smart then I don't see why you don't get an opportunity to do an REU.

As some people above me mentioned already, your age might be a playing factor in why you aren't being accepted to summer research programs. As a sophomore, I applied to numerous within the US and was rejected by all. Someone from Amgens told me over the phone that I was in the final round of consideration for their summer program but that I might not get it because I was a sophomore and they will most likely prioritize juniors for their last summer of research.

That being said, I reapplied during my junior year and was accepted to one of the most summer programs in Europe as the only American student. Don't be afraid to apply internationally as well :) it was an absolutely amazing experience. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Echoing what others have said before, I applied to many REU programs my sophomore year and was rejected by all, reapplied my junior year and got accepted. Keep trying!

From my own experiences, just as competitive as getting into medical school (in terms of stats).
Something like 20 slots and 1000+ applications for some of the top tier programs and those who apply are usually also a self-selected group (with multiple research experiences, great LORs) etc... It's a crapshoot in most cases because there are so many well qualified applicants.
But it definitely does help to apply to a wide variety of programs and if you can specify your essays to the particular program of interest, that might be helpful.